Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by flatworm
Have you tried a cable ? Apologies for daft question The reason I ask is because the UK 3 network forbids tethering whilst roaming - but I was able to tether my iPad fine to MBP by plugging it in in Aus and NZ
This seems to be some sort of a technical limitation of the network--Fi explicitly permits tethering, it just doesn't actually work when roaming with an iPhone.
...but I've got a cable and an old beater MacBook, so I'll try it later and report back
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:47 am

A lot of new carriers are now supporting eSIM on the new iPhones. Has anyone with an iPhone XR or XS tried their app to see if there's any hint of it?

I still can't go far in my app because my SIM hasn't arrived . . .
Old Dec 6, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
My Pixel 3 XL was supposed to be delivered on Tuesday but was rescheduled for delivery on Tuesday morning for Wednesday. Yesterday I worked from home and nothing showed. At 7pm it changed to delivery pending and was told delivery would be today, Thursday. The site showed today that delivery was pending again so I called in and was told that Friday, and definitely not today, was more likely as they are backed up.
Fi support was empathetic but FedEx isn't able to expedite the shipment. They did offer me a statement credit but that doesn't change the frustration of waiting & wasted work from home time.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Angry

Originally Posted by Yoshi212
My Pixel 3 XL was supposed to be delivered on Tuesday but was rescheduled for delivery on Tuesday morning for Wednesday. Yesterday I worked from home and nothing showed. At 7pm it changed to delivery pending and was told delivery would be today, Thursday. The site showed today that delivery was pending again so I called in and was told that Friday, and definitely not today, was more likely as they are backed up.
Fi support was empathetic but FedEx isn't able to expedite the shipment. They did offer me a statement credit but that doesn't change the frustration of waiting & wasted work from home time.
Similar frustration here. Although my order originally showed a January delivery, it shipped Friday and was supposed to be delivered Tuesday. Tracking shows it on the truck and out for delivery Tuesday, but it never arrived, rescheduled for Wednesday. Same thing Wednesday. Now Thursday, day three of waiting at home all day. Both delivery exceptions were pure fiction, just lazy, incompetent, or lying drivers. Anyone want to bet if it will show up today?

In my case, I blame this is on Fedex and not Google, though Google doesn't make it easy with the package options they use.

I'm lucky that I work from home anyway, but it's still inconvenient not being able to run out for lunch or a quick errand.
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Michael Ad
A lot of new carriers are now supporting eSIM on the new iPhones. Has anyone with an iPhone XR or XS tried their app to see if there's any hint of it?

I still can't go far in my app because my SIM hasn't arrived . . .
Nope, no hint on my XS Fi app. Still the same boring data, and no visual voicemail, so no way to clear the 66 new voicemails I apparently have on my phone (but don't--it goes away with a phone restart).
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Need
I was able to get to the Vacation Hold option on Fedex on my Pixel 3XL delivery today... didn't submit it though. Are you sure you can't do a Vacation Hold online? I think you need to create a Fedex account first, sign in, and opt in to all the terms in Delivery Management. Then you will get the option to do Vacation Hold to stop the delivery attempts. After that, they will still deliver to your home and need signature, but at least you could hold it until you are home.
The problem is that (a) FedEx ground can never tell you precisely when they'll deliver and (b) I'm still going to have the same problem whenever they try to deliver.

However, I'm giving it a shot: I put a vacation hold on until one week from Saturday. If they attempt delivery on a Saturday, at least there's a chance someone will be around.

Attempts to phone and email Google have been completely unsuccessful. Over 26 hours since my email. No response.

What a sh*tty company to do business with. I realize this is a nice promotion but other phone companies do promotions too and aren't so difficult to transact basic business with.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
This seems to be some sort of a technical limitation of the network--Fi explicitly permits tethering, it just doesn't actually work when roaming with an iPhone.
...but I've got a cable and an old beater MacBook, so I'll try it later and report back
Exact same story as wifi--tethering enables fine on the Fi data SIM but the MacBook won't connect to it over USB. And, again, it works perfectly when I put the Belgian SIM back in, so it's a Fi thing.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Issues with android phone using google fi

After a short use of new google fi sim with a galaxy s8+

1 there is no icon for wifi calling available anymore
2 apparently when I get a call it rings both on my phone and hangouts (PC) at the same time (a little confusing but I've only received one call so far and I answered on hangouts not realizing I could have answered on my phone since they were next to each other)
3 no ability to set different ringtones for different numbers
4 voicemail - I have to call to retrieve messages BUT I cannot seem to be able to see a list of messages (typed) / CORRECTION I meant previous voicemails-
I don't know if I could access messages from hangouts if I am overseas to avoid a call charge

Still on a learning curve but it is interesting that a non google fi phone has a LOT of limitations that their phones don't have - AFAICT - no ability to see list of message phone numbers nor does the message identify the caller (as both sprint and tmo did from my contacts)
No ability to use their spam blocker

OTOH the calls have been clear so far....... well back to learning more
ADDED - voicemails are NOT identified by caller number or name
apparently I cannot imput my contacts into hangouts even tho they show up when I start typing the name and they are all on google contacts
FRUSTRATED BY OVER 1-2 HOUR WAITS TO TALK TO SUPPORT, NO ANSWER TO EMAILS FOR OVER A WEEK, INABILITY TO SEE CREDIT FOR PROMOTION (altho a 9 cent credit appeared from google voice ), but not the $200 credit promised)

Last edited by estnet; Dec 8, 2018 at 12:57 pm
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:20 am
Suspended

Anyone able to get hold of Fi support? Cant get them on chat, they are not responding to emails and wait times on the phone are forever....
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Yes via chat.
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Anyone able to get hold of Fi support? Cant get them on chat, they are not responding to emails and wait times on the phone are forever....
To followup my delivery issues my package was delayed getting to Brooklyn by 3 days but the system & CS reps kept saying it would be delivered each day. Then Friday the driver claims to have made a delivery attempt but stated I live in a gated community with no access. I live in an apartment building with a directory and intercom built into the door. Now I found out the drive not only did that but also lost it. Now I'm waiting for them to make it official so I can get a new one sent to me. Needless to say I've been drinking a lot this past week.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:51 am

Oh looks like Chat is back online. It wasn't for the previous week since the 28th of Nov. BTW, the Pixel 3 XL is really great. It is worth the wait. Of course my old phone is LG G4 which is like 4 years old so any new phone would be leaps and bounds better. The night sight camera is like magic though. It is better than what my eyes could see.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
nope - no response to emails and wait times saying 1 hour aren't answered in 2 or 3 (well that's when I gave up) AND the question I have is answered incorrectly in their online support!!!!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:44 pm

So I got a Data Sim along with my new Pixel 3 account. I have a T-mobile tablet and it is locked to T-mobile. I know that because I had tried to put an AT&T sim in it. Since Google Fi uses T-mobile network on non-Fi device including tablet, I thought I would give it a try and it worked! I wonder if normal Fi phone sim would work on any locked T-mobile phones also?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:06 pm

It took me almost an hour on hold this morning but I got an operator who quickly and easily submitted the proper info to get a replacement Pixel 3 XL sent out after FedEx acknowledged the package is lost. By 3pm I had a shipping confirmation with 2-day, sadly still with FedEx, at no additional charge. The hold time thing is too much but the actual agent was great.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My emails to Google were never answered.

I'm back on hold with them today - at this point, I just want my delivery canceled and the money charged to my credit card refunded.

This entire experience is a joke. I guess "free"(ish) phones were too good to be true.
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.