Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
Interesting.

So Google says that iPhones won't tether internationally. Being so specific makes me think that really won't work. But is that just another case of it being unsupported, or really, it just won't work currently for technical reasons?
So that's a very strange (and specific) claim, but I was able to test it and it appears to be true, at least for the data SIM. I put my Fi data SIM in my work iPhone SE (iOS 12) and set the APN. First I had to force it onto the correct network--somehow Fi will roam on all three Belgian carriers but has access only to HSPA on two of them.

I had working LTE data, but it wouldn't tether--I could turn on the portable hotspot but nothing could connect to it successfully. I tried a Win10 laptop, a Chromebook, and my Android phone. All three of those devices tether just fine to the iPhone with its Belgian SIM.

I then tossed the data SIM in the el cheapo Nokia 3.1 we keep around for visitors and as a backup. Tethering works great, so it seems to be something to do with iOS.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
So that's a very strange (and specific) claim, but I was able to test it and it appears to be true, at least for the data SIM. I put my Fi data SIM in my work iPhone SE (iOS 12) and set the APN. First I had to force it onto the correct network--somehow Fi will roam on all three Belgian carriers but has access only to HSPA on two of them.

I had working LTE data, but it wouldn't tether--I could turn on the portable hotspot but nothing could connect to it successfully. I tried a Win10 laptop, a Chromebook, and my Android phone. All three of those devices tether just fine to the iPhone with its Belgian SIM.

I then tossed the data SIM in the el cheapo Nokia 3.1 we keep around for visitors and as a backup. Tethering works great, so it seems to be something to do with iOS.
OK - thanks for the in-depth test. The results are unfortunately, but kudos to Google Fi for being accurate and specific about the issue.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:23 pm

So the iPhone with the Fi Data Sim could get data right? Just not able to became a hotspot? Because I was planning to get a couple of Data Sim to put in my son's and my wife's iPhones in Europe. They only need data anyway... and I only had to paid $80 for 15 GB of LTE data on my phone and the 2 data SIMs. 15GB should be enough for the 3 of us for 2 weeks.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Need
So the iPhone with the Fi Data Sim could get data right? Just not able to became a hotspot? Because I was planning to get a couple of Data Sim to put in my son's and my wife's iPhones in Europe. They only need data anyway... and I only had to paid $80 for 15 GB of LTE data on my phone and the 2 data SIMs. 15GB should be enough for the 3 of us for 2 weeks.
Correct, the data SIM works fine in my iPhone, it just won't tether.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:16 am

Does Fi just block itself or third party VOIP apps in those countries?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I've used Wifi calling, Skype & Facebook Messenger calling without issue on a Fi Phone.

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Does Fi just block itself or third party VOIP apps in those countries?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 11:33 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
My Pixel 3 XL arrived yesterday, but I didn't have time to set it up until tonight. Currently copying everything over from my Pixel 2 XL.

I was confused when the quick start booklet talked about inserting a SIM card because I thought I'd read about using eSIMs going forward. Turns out you may use a physical SIM card if you wish, but there's a screen to skip that if you want to use an eSIM with Project Fi.

Pro tip: you'll need to manually type in to your new phone, the password to any Google accounts you want to transfer via direct phone-to-phone cable connection. If you have a long secure password using a password manager, this might be a good opportunity to refresh your password by shortening it for the install and then lengthening it to something new afterward

And at least in the way that I have them connected (USB-C to USB-C), the new phone seems to be charging itself from the old phone, so it's a good thing I had 50%+ charge before I started (it's down below 30% now with 2 minutes to go so I think I'll make it -- there's also a "Stop Copying" button presumably to pause the process) but I suggest starting from a full charge.

ISTR doing this over wifi when I transferred my Nexus 6P to my Pixel 2 which might've been a better way to go about this (it did ask, indirectly -- if I'd pretended I didn't have a cable to connect between the two phones it seemed like it would've let me do it over wifi)
ajGoes likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Tried tethering to my iPhone while on LTE in Bali. No go.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:56 am

Have you tried a cable ? Apologies for daft question The reason I ask is because the UK 3 network forbids tethering whilst roaming - but I was able to tether my iPad fine to MBP by plugging it in in Aus and NZ
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
We supposedly have phones in transit, but the require a signature and for reasons unknown to me Google blocked the shipment from being able to be held at a FedEx facility.

FedEx can't do anything, their middleman (some company in Illinois) can't do anything, and I can't get through to Google.

Beginning to think this is going to be a really bare-bones, no-support experience for 4 months until I have my gift cards in hand and can port to some other carrier. And that's if I can even get my phones at all to begin with.

If I'd known in advance that they were so restrictive on the shipments (both sig required *and* not willing to allow pickup at the FedEx distribution center), I could have provided an office shipping address that has a receptionist to sign for packages. But none of this was revealed during the purchase process.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pinniped
We supposedly have phones in transit, but the require a signature and for reasons unknown to me Google blocked the shipment from being able to be held at a FedEx facility.

If I'd known in advance that they were so restrictive on the shipments (both sig required *and* not willing to allow pickup at the FedEx distribution center), I could have provided an office shipping address that has a receptionist to sign for packages. But none of this was revealed during the purchase process.
Agreed, I also only learned this when I got the "package arriving tomorrow" text and found I could not manage delivery. Luckily I can telecommute pretty freely so I just worked from home on delivery day, but if I'd known I would have had it shipped to work.

Surprised you couldn't get through to Google though, I've found Fi support to be pretty responsive (though not necessarily always super helpful). Which channel(s) did you try, email/call/web chat?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
Agreed, I also only learned this when I got the "package arriving tomorrow" text and found I could not manage delivery. Luckily I can telecommute pretty freely so I just worked from home on delivery day, but if I'd known I would have had it shipped to work.

Surprised you couldn't get through to Google though, I've found Fi support to be pretty responsive (though not necessarily always super helpful). Which channel(s) did you try, email/call/web chat?
Their web chat had been down since they became Google Fi. The day before, web chat took about 30 sec to connect to a person. On the day they became Google Fi, I sent them an email and called them. Was on hold for over 90 min and decided to hang up (their phone system does not provide estimated time after the initial one.. the initial one said 30 min). They replied to my email 6 days after.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Zorak

Web chat is down.
Phone is indefinite hold. (Literally waited 10+ minutes - that's simply unacceptable and make me want to reject the phones and walk away from the gift cards altogether.)
Have sent email and received a robo-response.

FedEx seems to think that I might have a window of time of 3 days after they fail 3 times to deliver. However, I'm traveling this weekend and will probably miss that window.

This should be no-brainer easy: go online with Fedex, click a box to hold the package, go show ID at FedEx sometime tonight. But Google has chosen to make this hard, and that's the part I don't get.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Their web chat had been down since they became Google Fi.
Web chat is down.
Phone is indefinite hold. (Literally waited 10+ minutes - that's simply unacceptable and make me want to reject the phones and walk away from the gift cards altogether.)
Have sent email and received a robo-response.

FedEx seems to think that I might have a window of time of 3 days after they fail 3 times to deliver. However, I'm traveling this weekend and will probably miss that window.

This should be no-brainer easy: go online with Fedex, click a box to hold the package, go show ID at FedEx sometime tonight. But Google has chosen to make this hard, and that's the part I don't get.
Ah, fortunately I haven't had a need to contact them recently. Really poor showing by Google
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:49 pm

I was able to get to the Vacation Hold option on Fedex on my Pixel 3XL delivery today... didn't submit it though. Are you sure you can't do a Vacation Hold online? I think you need to create a Fedex account first, sign in, and opt in to all the terms in Delivery Management. Then you will get the option to do Vacation Hold to stop the delivery attempts. After that, they will still deliver to your home and need signature, but at least you could hold it until you are home.

Also if memory served right, iPhone shipped from Apple also require signature at the address and cannot be pick up at FedEX. Although I think the option shows up after the 1st day. I think they have to at least try it once to deliver it to the address.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.