Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Group messages are sent as MMS, yes.

$10/GB is effectively pro-rated. Although you are charged in increments of $10 for 1GB at a time, you will also get a refund for any portion of each 1GB you don't use.

There's also the relatively new feature that you don't get charged between 6GB and 15GB.

Last edited by Zorak; Jul 15, 2018 at 7:06 pm Reason: Typed the wrong thing, MMS, not SMS!
Old Jul 15, 2018, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Why would someone based in London want Google Fi for data? You should be able to do do better than $10 a GB and should be able to roam at full speeds throughout the EU.

At least until Brexit is completed ...
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by wco81
Why would someone based in London want Google Fi for data? You should be able to do do better than $10 a GB and should be able to roam at full speeds throughout the EU.

It sounded more like OP wanted a fairly inexpensive way to keep their US number active than a replacement for their primary mobile service.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by aceman
Quick question, data is $10/gb, is that incremental, or any part of a gb is charged at the full $10?
You pay whatever you use effective Feb-March 2018 billing cycle. You no longer prepay $10 for 1GB data.

I also turn off data. One month I turned it on by accident for a minute, used 1.8 MB data and was charged $.02 for that billing period.
aceman likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Originally Posted by wco81

As below, its a good way to keep my US number active, but beyond europe it will be very handy for me, travelling a lot. My last trip to south east asia saw me collect 9 different sim cards by the end of the trip (all but vietnam covered by Fi).

Secondly having had a US number for 9 years, I wanted to keep it, since when Im in the US I need a way for locals to be able to contact me. Its actually awkward now since my UK company covers the US, Mexico, Canada, Australia and New Zealand and Europe for free roaming, so now some of the time in the States Im carrying two phones. I used to just put my US sim in my phone and carry on, but since I get all my data here now, there's no point me paying twice for it. $20 a month (which I'll freeze when Im in the uk) is perfect, and when im Ex-eu Fi will become my default roaming sim. Coming up in september I'm rather hoping parts of Africa will become the first test for my Fi sim abroad.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Nice little deal at the moment of $300 in Fi credit with the new LG phones. Asked about returning my phone and getting one of them but am out of the 15 day return period. Shame I think $449 for one of them is a great deal.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Currently have both a T-Mobile and a Fi SIM in my OnePlus 6. At the San Diego Convention Center this week for Comic-Con, T-Mobile has full signal while Fi is "emergency calls only". It's probably not much of a surprise that T-Mobile would prioritize their own customers when towers are congested but that still might be something for prospective users to keep in mind.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by tmiw
Currently have both a T-Mobile and a Fi SIM in my OnePlus 6. At the San Diego Convention Center this week for Comic-Con, T-Mobile has full signal while Fi is "emergency calls only". It's probably not much of a surprise that T-Mobile would prioritize their own customers when towers are congested but that still might be something for prospective users to keep in mind.
Was wifi calling available?
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Was wifi calling available?
I don't think it's supported unless it's an official Fi phone. In any case, I haven't tried the Wi-Fi there.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:56 pm

Is your OnePlus 3 LTE on one SIM and HSPA on the other slot?

My problem with a Fi SIM in an unauthorized phone is that I can't get it to ring (other than VOIP or by forwarding it to another SIM). I have a dual SIM Axon 7 and an iPhone X.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Is your OnePlus 3 LTE on one SIM and HSPA on the other slot?

My problem with a Fi SIM in an unauthorized phone is that I can't get it to ring (other than VOIP or by forwarding it to another SIM). I have a dual SIM Axon 7 and an iPhone X.
OnePlus 6 supports LTE on both SIM cards. However, it doesn't look like it can do VoLTE on both simultaneously (I only see "VoLTE 1" in the status unless I change the data SIM to SIM 2). No issues with getting calls on either, with the caveat that the other card disables itself until you end the call.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 5:13 am

Well there goes my theory.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:53 pm

Had good LTE speeds in czech republic (prague), and in poland (krakow & warsaw). Only got HSDPA or whatever it is in Lisbon, I think that was just a radio limitation of my phone (pixel 2 XL), a data sim in the gf's iphone got LTE.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:32 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I've used Fi for years now — US, Canada, Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Argentina, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Italy, Japan... always works great, zero issues and fast 4G data. Love it.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:57 pm

Just spent the last month using Fi for the first time. US, Greece, Qatar, Malaysia, Germany - All flawless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.