Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Which countries are supported?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...intl_countries

Note that in some locations Hangouts (and Gmail) are not available (e.g., China, Russia, Thailand, South Korea, Mexico, Argentina, and more: see link below for full list of excluded countries), so you will need a VPN to access them (or to make VOIP calls via Hangouts Dialer)

https://support.google.com/hangouts/answer/3205646

Exceptions:

Listed, but no/spotty service:
  • Ukraine (Aug 2018) - no service, all providers listed as "forbidden". Post #660
  • Alaska (Jul 2018) -- had voice service, but inconsistent/spotty data (try forcing Sprint)
  • Peru (Sep 2016) post 341, 360
  • Grand Cayman Island (Jan 2018) post 547

Not listed, *did* have service
  • Belize (Jan 2018) post 547 Belize now appears on the "supported" international list
If you are having trouble connecting, level 1 Fi reps recommend you try the following steps before they will escalate. Try each step in the order listed below to see if it fixes your issue - if not, move on to next step.

1- Reboot phone
2- Toggle "airplane mode" on/off. Wait five seconds after toggling off (it resets phone modem).
3- Try manually connecting to each available network (rather than using the auto select feature).
4- Toggle down from 4g to 3g (removing the recommended 4g option) and then try manually connecting to each available network.
5- Toggle down from 3g to 2g and then try manually connecting to each available network.
Print Wikipost

Google Fi: Anyone care to post their experience?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2018, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by NYTA
separately I just got back from Paris where the service was so-so. No LTE anywhere.
Same -- just had a 12-hour layover at CDG outbound and went into town, and a 4-hour connection on the way back. Status bar connection icon indicated H or E the whole time.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 2:23 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Zorak
Same -- just had a 12-hour layover at CDG outbound and went into town, and a 4-hour connection on the way back. Status bar connection icon indicated H or E the whole time.
Don't be so quick to Poopoo "H". I've had some very respectable connections using "H" that were quite a bit faster than some of the LTE connections I was on. That said, E sucks.
sapman986 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by LordHamster
Don't be so quick to Poopoo "H". I've had some very respectable connections using "H" that were quite a bit faster than some of the LTE connections I was on. That said, E sucks.
Especially now that in Europe and North America nearly everyone has an LTE-enabled phone, it's not at all uncommon for the 'old' HSPA network to be faster during peak usage times because no one is on it.

T-Mobile in the US is particularly prone to that--they really built out their HSPA+ network, only to roll out LTE a year later. At my old office in DC, LTE would often be useless after 11am during terrorist tourist season, but I could watch Netflix reliably on HSPA.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Kettle Class
I face the same LTE issues overseas, most recently in the UK, Germany and NZ. I've often got better connectivity internationally by setting my phone to be on "3G only" mode when roaming and stay on HSPA+ networks, which feel much faster. This tip came directly from Fi Support.
Old Jun 6, 2018, 8:25 am

Smile

Our household has T-Mo and Project FI, so I can answer this:

T-Mobile's Cellspot marketing is very confusing as they essentially have 3 models.

1. The Wifi Cell Spot you have is basically just an Asus router that has the QOS setting adjusted to optimize T-Mobile's Wifi Calling. Google FI doesn't use this wifi calling method and this will have no effect on your cellular reception. The unit you have is ONLY helpful to t-mobile customers who use wifi calling. Even then, the improvement is marginal vs other modern routers.
2. There is a "repeater"... which I forget what is called. Basically you put one end in a part of the house with reception, then it repeats the cellular signal. This never worked for me as I have crappy reception all over the house.
3. The BEST option is the 4G LTE cellspot. This option is essentially a mini cell tower in your house (about the size of a router). It uses a wired ethernet connection to your home wired internet as backhaul. This tower can be used by up to 10 people simultaneously (I think 10)... including other T-Mobile subscribers outside your household but within range. This ALSO works great w/ project fi. We got the 4G LTE cellspot for my wife due to the poor reception for her t-mo phone in our house... it benefits my Project FI as well (when I'm roaming on t-mo not sprint).

I would be happy to invest in solutions to improve my voice coverage here at home.

Would you share the model number of your 4G LTE Cellspot?
Or anything else that might help me.

Thx!
Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:23 am

You can't just buy one as it is T-Mobile property and is essentially a T-Mobile tower. I'm in India right now, so I can't tell you the model number... not that it matters. In order to get one, you MUST be a T-Mobile client... then then call them up, tell them your coverage sucks and that you want a "4G LTE Cellspot" those EXACT words. They'll send you one free of charge for use as long as you are a client. If you cancel them, you must return the unit... plus they cut off the service.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
deleted original!

one question, if I add a line can I see how much data each line is using?

Last edited by aceman; Jun 14, 2018 at 11:39 am Reason: referral code request, not needed now
Old Jun 14, 2018, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by aceman
deleted original!

one question, if I add a line can I see how much data each line is using?
Yes, I can see each of my account usages. I have a data only SIM in a iphone, a ipad as well as standard service in my Pixel 2

When I open the app on my phone I can review data used costs on each of my three.

If you want to sign up my referral number is 29E8W8 Project Fi's web site says you will save $20.

Last edited by bukzin; Jun 14, 2018 at 12:09 pm Reason: typo
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bukzin

I would be happy to invest in solutions to improve my voice coverage here at home.

Would you share the model number of your 4G LTE Cellspot?
Or anything else that might help me.

Thx!
You can't just buy one as it is T-Mobile property and is essentially a T-Mobile tower. I'm in India right now, so I can't tell you the model number... not that it matters. In order to get one, you MUST be a T-Mobile client... then then call them up, tell them your coverage sucks and that you want a "4G LTE Cellspot" those EXACT words. They'll send you one free of charge for use as long as you are a client. If you cancel them, you must return the unit... plus they cut off the service.
The 4G LTE Cellspot v2 is for sale on ebay... you can pick one up there for around $100. Although beware - Tmo can shut off the unit and it won't work if they did that. https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-36766 So it's a risk... but for $100 might be worth it
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The 4G LTE Cellspot v2 is for sale on ebay... you can pick one up there for around $100
I spoke to TMobile about poor coverage and Project Fi. They said unless I am a 'direct customer' of TMobile, even if I buy and used device, they will NOT turn on that service.

Seems these were Level 1 reps. Does anyone know differently?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by bukzin
I spoke to TMobile about poor coverage and Project Fi. They said unless I am a 'direct customer' of TMobile, even if I buy and used device, they will NOT turn on that service.

Seems these were Level 1 reps. Does anyone know differently?
Perhaps you could buy a used device that was already turned on?
Old Jun 21, 2018, 11:34 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Lebanon No service

No Google Fi service in Lebanon--not even Beirut.

Working well throughout Greece mainland. (MUCH better than previous Verizon experience.)
Old Jun 23, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Perhaps you could buy a used device that was already turned on?
Guys, it will not work. These devices are tied to a T-Mo account full stop.

I'm lucky I have a T-Mo member in my household (wife), otherwise I'd be out of luck. If you have a friend who has T-Mo, you could try that route as well.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Guys, it will not work. These devices are tied to a T-Mo account full stop.

I'm lucky I have a T-Mo member in my household (wife), otherwise I'd be out of luck. If you have a friend who has T-Mo, you could try that route as well.
I have a data only $35 for 6 gb account on T mobile on my ipad mini. I went to a store, told the manager my address. She looked it up and said yes you have poor coverage. Here is your LTE Cell spot no charge, just return it if you cancel. I have had it a year. My Fi sim works off it, my Fi data sim works off it, and very shortly my wifes Fi account will work off it.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Just found this, concerning signal boosters. good luck.

https://support.google.com/fi/answer...-1529780683840

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.