Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I wouldn't be surprised if it's extended at least past the update coming in just a few weeks.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:09 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Our Microsoft guy said Product Activation hasn't really changed, it is just that they now store the hardware ID on their end instead of locally. If that hardware ID has been successfully activated and has it's "digital entitlement" the system will activate until the hardware ID is broken by hardware changes.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 3:45 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
is there any cast-iron reason to upgrade at all?

Using win 7 pro, have been for ages, and like it/am used to it. No problems, except windows update sometimes runs slowly, and I have to keep checking which win10 nag updates to hide.

Is there any castiron reason to upgrade to 10? I just do general Office stuff on this, nothing fancy at all.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Honestly, probably not. Windows 7 support official ends in early 2020. By then, you will probably have a new computer...with Windows 12.

I believe M$ will also allow you to hide the Windows 10 nag permanently soon.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Honestly, probably not. Windows 7 support official ends in early 2020. By then, you will probably have a new computer...with Windows 12.

Thanks for that - my main worry was Win7 support finished before I was ready to move, but as you say I'll be on a different laptop in a couple of years, I guess.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:30 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I recommended to people to make a VM of their Win7 or other installs - if they were still using them and then run the upgrade on the win 7 VM and get it to 10 for free. I've been using both for nearly a year now with no problems. AT least at that point you have a system upgraded for free and don't have to worry about paying 125$ in the future. You'd have to migrate data to the new system on win10 if you haven't used it for a while but that is easily done. Also, most VM providers allow a 30 day trial so you can make and authenticate the VM for free.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
Using win 7 pro, have been for ages, and like it/am used to it. No problems, except windows update sometimes runs slowly, and I have to keep checking which win10 nag updates to hide.

Is there any castiron reason to upgrade to 10? I just do general Office stuff on this, nothing fancy at all.
How old is the machine? For machines bought before mid-2013 (and plenty of lower end ones into early 2014), probably no reason to upgrade as long as Windows 7 is still getting security updates.

For some hardware starting with the from the mid/late-2013 generation Intel processors ("haswell") and most hardware sold starting in 2014 later, Windows 7 has never really supported the hardware that well, and an increasing number of features are unsupported. I'd recommend at least considering upgrading on machines that age and newer.

Also, while it doesn't apply to you, I'd also recommend upgrading any Windows 8 and 8.1 machines; Windows 10 was really kind of "8.2" and fixed a lot of ways 8 and 8.1 totally sucked.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by nkedel
How old is the machine? For machines bought before mid-2013 (and plenty of lower end ones into early 2014), probably no reason to upgrade as long as Windows 7 is still getting security updates.

For some hardware starting with the from the mid/late-2013 generation Intel processors ("haswell") and most hardware sold starting in 2014 later, Windows 7 has never really supported the hardware that well, and an increasing number of features are unsupported. I'd recommend at least considering upgrading on machines that age and newer.
It's an i5-3317u powered Samsung ultrabook from early 2013, so I think that's one generation before Haswell -> no real point in upgrading. Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stewie Mac
It's an i5-3317u powered Samsung ultrabook from early 2013, so I think that's one generation before Haswell -> no real point in upgrading. Thanks
Yup, as you said -- it's one generation before Haswell -- and there is zero hardware-support reason to upgrade. It should run Windows 10 just fine if you want to use it for the UI "improvements" (very much a matter of taste, of course.)

If it's not feeling completely obsolete when Windows 7 ceases to get security patches, as a light-duty extra machine there will always be the option of one of the friendlier Linux distros.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
The Windows 10 Upgrade Reminder Screen at an airport: @rezedus on Twitter: Windows 10 upgrade reminder tends to be more important that the time of departure of your flight

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by pseudoswede

Small quibble: Windows 10 is it. There will be no more 11, 12, etc. Only updates to 10.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
The cartoon reply is even better than the original tweeted image...

https://twitter.com/tamlin69/status/758670261914853376

Where is our resident M$ employee?

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Small quibble: Windows 10 is it. There will be no more 11, 12, etc. Only updates to 10.
...until it behooves them to change the branding again. Probably dropping the 10 and just being "Windows"
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
This weekend's Windows 10 update rendered Chrome inoperable, and also eliminated many of my personal configurations.

The solution to the Chrome problem is:

Run the command prompt as administrator
Type: netsh winsock reset
Restart the computer
Old Nov 22, 2016, 4:30 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Vista isn't eligible for the free UG and it'll only UG from 7 and 8/8.1. SO no, unless you can get your hands on a full license (not an UG one).

Might have trouble with getting drivers for hardware of the Vista era too.
Having to deal with this now on a friends desktop. I had to order a hard copy disk of Windows 10 since the MS site kept crashing the computer.

Pity since Vista is very user friendly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.