Wiki Posts
Search

Free Windows 10 upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
It's permanently free, as long as you download it in the first year.
Thanks for the clarity. Unfortunately, I predict at least 25 more posts of people saying "is it only good for a year, then I have to pay?"
Old Jun 7, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
I've been playing with the tech preview since the end of October. Very easy transition from Windows 7, and I'm sure it'll be a huge relief for Windows 8 victims.
I don't mind Windows 8. (Then again, I rather enjoyed Windows ME and Vista.) Based on that W10 will be horrible. But, I've just finished adjusting to OS X though.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Thanks for the clarity. Unfortunately, I predict at least 25 more posts of people saying "is it only good for a year, then I have to pay?"
Wait, I have to pay after 1 year? Is it like a monthly subscription fee or something???

Old Jun 8, 2015, 8:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
So I wouldn't have to re-install existing programs, each time I installed a new OS, I've done "in place" installs--I've always run into problems.
I'm hoping 8.1 to 10 will be better!
There are "rumors" that 10 is still a work "in progress"; after July 29, will MS (now) have a much larger base of BETA TESTERS?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Wait, I have to pay after 1 year? Is it like a monthly subscription fee or something???
No.

Well, at least to keep using what you have. They haven't said, but they likely ARE going to a subscription model for future upgrades.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I think you missed the
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Originally Posted by WIRunner
I don't mind Windows 8. (Then again, I rather enjoyed Windows ME and Vista.) Based on that W10 will be horrible. But, I've just finished adjusting to OS X though.
What browser/security are you using?

My prior laptop (Windows 7) crashed and burned in January. I got a new laptop and went with W8 and I've had nothing but trouble - so much so that I considered paying to get W7 installed instead.

I'm using Firefox and Avast.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chollie
What browser/security are you using?

My prior laptop (Windows 7) crashed and burned in January. I got a new laptop and went with W8 and I've had nothing but trouble - so much so that I considered paying to get W7 installed instead.

I'm using Firefox and Avast.
Chrome and Webroot. Haven't have problems, I need to run the upgrade to 8.1, but haven't gotten around to it, and since it is 6 weeks out, I won't at this point. I switched to Webroot a few years back after Nortons became useless. They did take a few features out of it a revision or two ago, but it is still decent, small, and unobtrusive.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Can I ask what's the point of 'reserving' Win10?

Will I get it faster/ earlier if I do so? Can't I just wait to see if it's a total disaster on day 1: and then if it's not, download and install on day 2?

Also, I have an old laptop on Win7 that I've now given to my wife: something a bit dodgy about it's SSD: any attempts at backup result in blue screen of death. Otherwise behaves OK. I think the drive may be on the verge of failing. But to the point at hand: I have 'piecemeal' copied all the important files from that computer, but can't make a 'backup': would this be an issue if upgrading to Win10?

tb
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:25 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I just noticed it... and "reserved my copy".

I hope this takes care of a problem I have been having for the past few weeks.... every time I turn off my laptop, I get a message to "Update and shutdown". I do that.... and the next day it is still running "1 of 15". It has yet to update. SIGH!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by trueblu
Can I ask what's the point of 'reserving' Win10?

Will I get it faster/ earlier if I do so?
Yes; it will (disk space permitting) download in the background in advance, while I'd expect the download process in the first week to be slow. Whether that's harmless or painful totally depends on your own patience or lack thereof.

Can't I just wait to see if it's a total disaster on day 1: and then if it's not, download and install on day 2?
Probably not, although the difference will be just one of timing, and even if choosing to download on day 2 means actually means installing on day 7 that probably isn't going to bother you, right?

Also, I have an old laptop on Win7 that I've now given to my wife: something a bit dodgy about it's SSD: any attempts at backup result in blue screen of death. Otherwise behaves OK. I think the drive may be on the verge of failing. But to the point at hand: I have 'piecemeal' copied all the important files from that computer, but can't make a 'backup': would this be an issue if upgrading to Win10?
If the drive is in fact failing, this is likely to blow up the upgrade process and leave you with a machine needing a drive replacement before you do anything with it. If it's a software file system problem (about as likely given the symptoms you mention) it will still probably die during the install process, and require reformatting and re-installation (it's not clear to me whether the "reservation" process gives you a key and/or access to reinstallation media not requiring you to go back to Windows 7 first.)

Even if it succeeds, lack of an image backup limits your ability to roll back cleanly; they do have installation rollback (which I was amazed to see actually works some of the time) but I'd definitely recommend having a full image backup in case it doesn't.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Got it on all of the Windows 7 PCs, laptops and virtual machines in the DeBoulet household.

I've been playing with the tech preview since the end of October. Very easy transition from Windows 7, and I'm sure it'll be a huge relief for Windows 8 victims.

The latest tech preview download is looking very polished (I guess it should be, with release scheduled for next month). This is a Windows upgrade I'm actually looking forward to

Also, skipping the "Microsoft Account" sign-in requested during installation is dead easy now.
Having installed the latest Insider Preview (Build 10130), I'm walking back my excitement about upgrading. While it looks great and performance seems on-par with Windows 7 (I intentionally avoided 8), it still has one annoying behavior: after being idle for 10 minutes or so, it starts some sort of photo-related process (Photo Background Task Host) that consumes 50% or more of the CPU. I'm not alone in this observation either. This could have a devastating effect on battery life, depending on the metrics and/or actions it uses to determine inactivity.

There are tips on various Windows technical fora with suggested fixes, but none of them have worked for me.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are there minimum hardware requirements posted anyplace? I would think it's somewhat similar to Win 7, and all my desktops/laptops that are currently running Win 7 seem to do just fine. Still ...
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
We also can infer that they jumped straight over 9 in an attempt to market the new OS as a complete break from 8.
That is not actually correct. With Windows 10 when upgrades are applies it will work like the OSX version system. Windows 10.1 10.2 etc. If they went down the route of Windows 9 when it come Windows 9.5 & 9.8 it could be confused with Windows 95 & 98. To avoid this they skipped over 9.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
For anyone updating these charts may be of use

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.