Search

Macbook Pro 15" v. Machbook Air 13" ?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Macbook Pro 15" v. Machbook Air 13" ?

Thoughts? With my EPP discount this is pricing @ $1644 for the 13" Air (8G/512G flash) v. $2161 for the 15" Pro (16G/512G flash). Subtract the $282 for the extra RAM, and it looks like I am simply paying $250 for the larger screen. AppleCare is also $100 cheaper on Air. The size/weight is not a big concern as this is for home use.

Tempting to go cheap but I ended up spending some coin to upgrade the RAM and memory on my older macbook, so maybe it makes sense just to go big early. The Apple store genius suggested that flash was less of an issue as you can just store everything on an external hard drive or the cloud. But I'm concerned about speed (i.e. how long does take to view iPhoto library via the network v. local flash) and I don't use the cloud much except via evernote for a few documents that require mobile access on multiple devices.

For those who are still reading, this will replace my 9-yr old MacBook which still works great but is literally falling apart (I really should post a photo - the plastic screen housing is peeling off with wires sticking out )

Last edited by Boraxo; May 26, 2015 at 11:59 am
Old May 22, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
if you do not plan to travel often with it and use on planes, and will keep it for a long time like your last laptop I'd spend the extra $ and get the Pro. I travel often and utilize a 13" Air which I do love but I also turn the machine over every 18-24 months for a new one. Portability and battery life over that short period most important to me. If longevity is your priority I think 15" Pro is the right call.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Get the MBP. The screen is bigger, and higher resolution. You're also getting a faster processor, faster memory, and the new touchpad (for better or worse.)

If you're concerned with speed, and having a long lasting system, go for the faster one out of the gate.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: LH HON
How about a 13" retina?
Old May 22, 2015, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I have a fairly new 15 inch pro and an older 13 inch air. I use the 15 for a desktop replacement at home and the air is for travel. For me it comes to use. The 15 seems light for a machine that size but I still prefer to travel with a smaller machine.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For me size is everything. I've been using the 11 inch Air for several years now. I had to swap out for a new one once because I spilled some wine. And yes I noticed the improvement in performance with the newer model, but for email, Office and web I really don't need a MBP.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I'd definitely recommend the air for travel, but the pro for a home/desktop replacement. If you do both, the optimal solution is to have two machines. If you only want one machine, select based on your major use. Since you indicate its primary purpose is as a home machine, I'd get the 15" pro.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:51 am

Especially with more travel involved I would look at the new MacBook.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's your primary computer it's really nice to have the screen real estate, though the way "spaces" works in OS X now it's much easier to switch between many different screens set up for different tasks, so the smaller screen might not be so bad now. I've been laptop only for a long time now, and prefer the 15" MBP even when traveling (often with 2 of them), and I have a big external screen on my desk, though I don't spend much time there. If you're sitting in economy you do have to use it as a laptop though, and not a traytabletop.
Old May 23, 2015, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
If it's your primary computer it's really nice to have the screen real estate, though the way "spaces" works in OS X now it's much easier to switch between many different screens set up for different tasks, so the smaller screen might not be so bad now. I've been laptop only for a long time now, and prefer the 15" MBP even when traveling (often with 2 of them), and I have a big external screen on my desk, though I don't spend much time there. If you're sitting in economy you do have to use it as a laptop though, and not a traytabletop.
Another option that I have on occasion used when traveling is to use an iPad as a second monitor for a Mac Book Air. It works pretty well with an app, the name of which escapes me and I don't have my iPad handy to check.
Old May 23, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Another option that I have on occasion used when traveling is to use an iPad as a second monitor for a Mac Book Air. It works pretty well with an app, the name of which escapes me and I don't have my iPad handy to check.
I just bring an HDMI cable and use the hotel TV as a second monitor. The downside (of this and my many other cables) is that my bag of accessories bigger than a macbook air.
Old May 24, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: *G
drastically different in terms of form factor and weight

you are not giving up much in terms of performance... i have a current gen Air & Pro and the latter does not provide an appreciably leg up in terms of standard day to day operation (Office, Media consumption, Browsing, standard apps w multitasking, etc)

the difference is that screen. the retina really is darn nice.

i suggest weighing the advantages of ... weight vs display.... and buy a monitor/docking solution for when you need the real estate
Old May 24, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Thoughts? With my EPP discount this is pricing @ $1644 for the 13" Air (8G/512G flash) v. $2161 for the 15" Air (16G/512G flash). Subtract the $282 for the extra RAM, and it looks like I am simply paying $250 for the larger screen. AppleCare is also $100 cheaper on Air. The size/weight is not a big concern as this is for home use.
Huge difference in performance between the two, and I would not consider the Air at all if size/weight is not a big concern. Personally, I'd look at the 13" MBP from what you've said; you make no mention of needing the much faster processor in the 15" MBP.

At the 13" screen size, the Macbook Pro is a better machine in every other respect than weight/thickness. The 15" machine is a great one as well, but quite dear.

Last edited by nkedel; May 25, 2015 at 12:44 am Reason: duplicate 'at the 13"'
Old May 24, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As this is a desktop replacement and not for travel, I will go with the MBP. As always great advice from my friends at FT - many thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 12:51 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I'll take a MacBook anything over a Machbook anyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.