Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Apple iPad Battery Replacement

Old May 15, 15, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Based on responses from the Google, my iPad 2 Battery is no longer charging and needs to be replaced.

Excuse me for being paranoid but I'm always worried when my device (laptop, iPhone, iPad, portable hard drive, etc.) is out of my hands, often "unlocked" for a service tech to take the device "in the back" and take a look at it.

If I send in my Apple iPad iPad 2 to Apple for a new replacement battery, after the battery is replaced, will I get my original iPad 2 back? They don't just send me a refurbed one do they? I want the old one back. While I understand that the repair may erase some (or all) of my data, programs, etc., I don't want to take the chance that it (e.g. my data) is floating around out their in some apple repair-land (or worse) place.

Would this be different if I took it into an Apple Store (in the US, Washington D.C. area FWIW) for the same repair?

I'm willing to do it in store #1 for confirmation I get my device back, #2 to confirm the Google's diagnosis with a Apple person and #3 possibly for a faster repair (though I know they may not have replacement batteries in store).
Old May 15, 15, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Step 1 - Back up your iPad to your computer
Step 2 - Wipe your iPad to like new condition (wiping all your data from the device
Step 3 - Get the battery replaced
Step 4 - Restore your iPad from the file on your computer.

All done, data safe, battery replaced, you, Happy.
Old May 17, 15, 10:50 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
iPhone batteries can be replaced in store now. Not sure about the iPad though. The Apple guru will do a check to determine if the battery needs to be replaced or if there is another problem.

My iPhone 5 was burning thru battery fast -- but I was told there another glitch causing the problem -- not the battery! I wiped the phone and restored it and voila. Problem fixed.
Old May 17, 15, 12:04 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
iPads are encrypted and you cannot change that. So any iPad that is lost with a code, the data cannot be retrieved.
Old May 18, 15, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
iPads are encrypted and you cannot change that. So any iPad that is lost with a code, the data cannot be retrieved.
true for iphones too
Old May 18, 15, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
Isn't this just for the new ipad Air2 models, not the older versions?
Old May 18, 15, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post

all ipads offer hardware data encryption when enabling a passcode.. only phones since I think 3gs when they started to enter enterprise have this hardware/software feature

Last edited by nmenaker; May 18, 15 at 1:18 pm
Old May 18, 15, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to see verification that your iDevice supports hardware encryption, and that it's enabled, go to Settings - Touch ID & Passcode. Scroll all the way to the bottom, and it should say, in small letters, "Data protection is enabled."
Old May 18, 15, 2:30 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Since iPad 2. I think the original iPad is the only one that doesn't.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: