Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

sim card (maybe data only) for istanbul, prague, and sicily

Old May 10, 2015, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Hi - I'm going to be spending about two and a half weeks in Istanbul, Prague, and Sicily. I'm arriving in Istanbul first. I have a Verizon Moto X (original) which I understand is unlocked and can use a normal GSM sim card.

Any recommendations for how to get data service out in those three countries? I mostly just want data - I don't plan on making phone calls though it'd be a nice option to have.

Thank you!
Old May 10, 2015, 3:47 pm

I was in Prague in November, and returning at the end of May. Vodafone offers a data SIM for visitors that gives you 10GB of data for around $40US (800CZK). They rent hotspots as well but I haven't tried that.

http://www.vodafone.cz/en/prepaid-ca...-for-visitors/

Not sure about Istanbul or Sicily, but this site is helpful:
http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.c...Czech_Republic
Old May 10, 2015, 5:25 pm

Are you with Tmobile USA by chance, and if so, does their unlimited (not so fast)data cover these countries? If not, then maybe an international sim, like Piranha, will work for you. May need to check their website for rates though.
Old May 10, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems to me you'll be in those places long enough that buying a country-specific card in each one will be more cost-effective than any single roaming SIM. Data cards in Prague are pretty cheap (about $15 for 1 GB); can't speak to the other two places.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There are companies that do EU coverage for phone and data.
I recently found MTX Communications and got a free sim card from them (I do not work for them) They provide 1 gb of data good for 30 days for 50 euro with no voice. The ease of 1 sim is worth the higher cost for me. They also have 2 day lower day rates. I have yet to use it in Europe yet.

Originally Posted by uoficowboy
Hi - I'm going to be spending about two and a half weeks in Istanbul, Prague, and Sicily. I'm arriving in Istanbul first. I have a Verizon Moto X (original) which I understand is unlocked and can use a normal GSM sim card.
Originally Posted by mrcamp
Are you with Tmobile USA by chance,
Old May 10, 2015, 10:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mrcamp
Are you with Tmobile USA by chance, and if so, does their unlimited (not so fast)data cover these countries? If not, then maybe an international sim, like Piranha, will work for you. May need to check their website for rates though.
I'm with Verizon, I'm afraid.
Old May 11, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please check the existing threads in the forum sticky.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...i-country.html

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.