Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Do I need "Private Registration" for my domain?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 11:42 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

It's almost time to renew my family domain name. It's through GoDaddy (yes, I know I should consider moving it somewhere else; it's what ScottC recommended a decade or so a ago but understand he no longer does).

"Private Registration" on GoDaddy is $20/year (far more than the cost of the domain itself). Do I need it? What exactly are the advantages? Looking to be edumcuated here Thanks.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:51 am

Depends on each individual.

Our family domain name is simply xxxfamily.com but the xxx is fairly unique and had [need to update] many extended family pictures of family reunions, etc. I decided to keep it private and paid the extra bucks...if you don't do that, then a simply lookup on the whois database shows your complete contact information.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:58 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

If I ditch the private registration, it would probably be prudent, then, to list a work address as contact rather than home address?
Old May 7, 2015, 12:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
NameCheap.com has WhoIsGuard (same thing, keeps your contact info private) for <$3/year. I think this might be the time for you to ditch GoDaddy
Old May 7, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand what the benefit of private registration is.

If there's some reason you don't want someone to connect your family's domain to your likely-already-public address, just put in incomplete or incorrect contact info. No one verifies these things, in my experience, which involves some domains for personal use I've had for 10 years.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yeah, just bite the bullet and ditch GoDaddy. Plenty of other good registrars out there. If you're not ready to make the jump, you can usually find GoDaddy coupon codes to bring the domain privacy down to $2-3.
Old May 7, 2015, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Did quite a bit of looking for renewal coupons that worked; no joy.

When I originally moved the domain to GoDaddy from DomainDirect (now Hover) 10+ years ago, the experience was awful -- messed up, painful, emails getting lost for days, the records all screwed up.

That's why I'm loathe to move it. Maybe it's an easier process now?
Old May 7, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Did quite a bit of looking for renewal coupons that worked; no joy.

When I originally moved the domain to GoDaddy from DomainDirect (now Hover) 10+ years ago, the experience was awful -- messed up, painful, emails getting lost for days, the records all screwed up.

That's why I'm loathe to move it. Maybe it's an easier process now?
Not really. Getting domains moved from GoDaddy is a truly awful experience. It seems like if you mess up one (of many) steps, you have to start over at step 1.

First thing's first, make sure your private registration contract for said-domain is cancelled (not simply "not renewed" or some malarkey) for your domain.
Old May 7, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Google Domains includes private registration for free.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Getting domains moved from GoDaddy is a truly awful experience. It seems like if you mess up one (of many) steps, you have to start over at step 1.
Amen. I had a couple of domains with GoDaddy that I wanted my employer to control, so we tried moving them over to the registrar our IT staff uses. Took three tries with GoDaddy's maze to get it right.
Old May 7, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by dtsm
Depends on each individual.

Our family domain name is simply xxxfamily.com but the xxx is fairly unique and had [need to update] many extended family pictures of family reunions, etc. I decided to keep it private and paid the extra bucks...if you don't do that, then a simply lookup on the whois database shows your complete contact information.
If you don't mind real names being out there, but not your other information, there are a number of registrars which will have semi-private registration at no extra cost.

Originally Posted by CatJo
NameCheap.com has WhoIsGuard (same thing, keeps your contact info private) for <$3/year. I think this might be the time for you to ditch GoDaddy
Much better deal than GoDaddy/DomainsByProxy, and that does look like full anonymous registration rather than the semianonymous that you'd get from say GANDI.

GANDI is far from the cheapest, but they are very, very good at customer service.
Old May 7, 2015, 11:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
$20???!!! Those guys are thieves. I'd transfer the domain somewhere else and renew that way. You don't really need privacy - it's a way for registrars to charge even mre money for stuff they convince you you need. FWIW, I've used Namecheap for certificates & such for a while and they're fine.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Namesilo.com has the best deal right now, and very easy to work with. Dot com domains $8.99, which includes a long list of freebies (such as lifetime free private registration).
Old May 8, 2015, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
$20???!!! Those guys are thieves. I'd transfer the domain somewhere else and renew that way.
Given the reports of transferring away from GoDaddy, I think I'll leave it where it is.

You don't really need privacy - it's a way for registrars to charge even mre money for stuff they convince you you need. ...
Fortunately, ScottC reminded me off-list why in fact private registration is an extremely good idea in my case.
Old May 8, 2015, 8:21 am

Programs: DL GM
I've had 2 domains registered with GoDaddy since 2008. One is for family email use, the other for small business email and DNS management. I've never paid extra for the private registration and never had any problems with SPAM or telemarketers abusing my published contact info.

Like others have said, I'd also like to move away from GoDaddy because there are less expensive hosting solutions that are easier to use. But they make it hard enough to leave that I keep paying them so I don't have to deal with it. <sigh>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.