Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

What is the best DVD ripper?

Old May 6, 15, 1:24 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I have a show that was burned to DVD. I want to make copies of it and I have Windows Vista. What is the best DVD Ripper/Burner to use for this?
Old May 6, 15, 1:46 am

Programs: BA-Gld, BD Lifetime Gld, LH Pleb, *Wd GPG, HH-Dmd, Amex: can take their Cent card and <CENSORED>
If it really was burned to DVD (i.e. you have a copy on a recordable DVD+/-R) then it is very very unlikely to be encrypted or region-coded, so the answer is pretty much "drag and drop". You can either just copy the entire file structure from the DVD and then use your DVD authoring package of choice to stick it on another blank, or create an ISO image (When I'm forced to use M$ Windoze, I find ImgBurn a good tool, apart from the annoying sound effects) and burn to disk with, again, your preferred standard authoring package (or, indeed, ImgBurn).

If what you have is a commercial pressed disk then you would need to first remove any CSS protection, a subject which, as an IT security professional, I would, of course, have no knowledge of.......

......however, you may well find the good folks on Doom9 may have some experience in this area...

Ken.

Willard the Bear - I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the doom9 community.....
Old May 6, 15, 8:50 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
What KenF said. I like ImgBurn a lot but it will not rip DVDs, just make an image.

There used to be something called DVD Decrypter - you should still be able to find a download link to it if you look in the right places
Old May 6, 15, 9:57 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
To move a commercial DVD from disc to a file MakeMKV is the best tool.
Old May 6, 15, 12:04 pm

Programs: Global Entry, TSA PreCheck, UA Premier, Marriott Titanium Elite
I use Magic DVD Ripper. A colleague recommended it and it works very well.
http://www.magicdvdripper.com/
Old May 6, 15, 3:00 pm

Programs: TK*G
AnyDVD worked well for me back when I was a kid into this kind of stuff in middle school. It's expensive if you actually pay for it
Old May 6, 15, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have an old version of WinX DVD Ripper. Works well on most DVDs. The only ones I haven't been able to rip are a few of my kids' Disney DVDs. Odd though, because I was able to rip things like Frozen and Maleficent, but not Wreck-it-Ralph and... Something else I can't remember. Go figure. Apparently, the newer products have no problems ripping most anything.

http://www.winxdvd.com/products.htm
Old May 11, 15, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Originally Posted by Mikity View Post
There used to be something called DVD Decrypter - you should still be able to find a download link to it if you look in the right places
DVD Decrypter works great for the original CSS, but doesn't handle the newer forms of copy protection that came up in the mid-2000s before DVDs became largely obsolete.

The two ways to fix that are to use a very small program called FixVTs (I don't know where to find it anymore, but looking on Doom9 is a start) or to use some version of DVDFab or a similar more modern ripping program.

The DVDFab guys have a free version called "DVDFab HD Decrypter" with none of the other features, at http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm -- it has some nags about buying the full version, but otherwise is a pretty good program and easier than the two step CSS decrypt/VT fix that you'd otherwise need to do.

If you want to rip to a smaller, PC-friendly format, I used to recommend DVDFab's full version; then they went from a one-time-purchase to a subscription model, and got a lot pricier.
Old May 12, 15, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K
Originally Posted by nkedel View Post
The DVDFab guys have a free version called "DVDFab HD Decrypter" with none of the other features, at http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter.htm -- it has some nags about buying the full version, but otherwise is a pretty good program and easier than the two step CSS decrypt/VT fix that you'd otherwise need to do.
Thanks for the advice and for bringing me up to date on DVD ripping! Downloading it now.
Old May 12, 15, 11:26 am
Suspended

Anydvd works perfectly and they are always pushing updates. Then handbrake to covert for the iPad. Been doing this for years and there has yet to be any I could not copy.

Before a trip I get a bunch of movies at redbox to copy and watch later.
Old May 12, 15, 12:01 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Vidcoder is the way to go for conversion to mkv/mp3 etc. Basically a GUI front for accessing Handbrake, makes life much easier.
Old May 12, 15, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate doing this, but I'm going to have to close this thread. For some reason, DVD decrypter threads ALWAYS bring out weird scammy/spammy posters from around the world peddling their wares/warez.

Seems like plenty of recommendations in this thread now anyway.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: