Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage Tracking Technology

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2015, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Beeing one who's luggage has been displaced twice in 6 weeks, 8˝ and 4 days respectively, I'll look more into this device. Seems to be worth the cost for knowing where your luggage actually IS
Old May 22, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Originally Posted by immaculate
did you see my screenshot?
I see it now. Thanks.
Old May 22, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Amex Centurion, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by bdelancy
I see it now. Thanks.
I'm in Finland this week - Trakdot did a great job of pinging me every step of the way (SFO - FRA - HEL - OUL - HEL)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
I have now used mine from IAD-SFO, SFO-IAD and IAD back to SFO. Still perfect; still on original batteries and still happy finding out where my luggage is even before I get to baggage claim. So far I am very pleased.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by immaculate
I'm in Finland this week - Trakdot did a great job of pinging me every step of the way (SFO - FRA - HEL - OUL - HEL)
I'm putting it up on my shopping list
Old Jun 3, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
TrakDot

I used my TrakDot late last year on my IAD-SFO-SEA-LAX-IAH-MUC-HAJ outbound. Luggage got stuck in MUC (Munich), filed a claim right away at HAJ (Hannover) and went to the hotel. Got alerted when it landed at HAJ, and went downstairs to the lobby about an hour after it showed up in the vicinity of the hotel. It had been delivered, but they didn't even have a chance to call me yet. Forgot to turn it off, went with me down on the ICC train to Munich, which was cool to see on the map. Batteries died after 6+ days.

This year it went with me DCA-JFK-SFO-HKG-NRT-HNL-EWR-IAD. No service in Japan (as explained on their site), but otherwise performed perfectly. No problems on my other short trips thru CLE/DEN/DFW/LAS/IAH/MCO/ORD/YYZ.

For added protection of the unit, I keep mine in a bubble-wrap mailer. Also good to keep spare batteries in there.

Location isn't as accurate as GPS (up to 1/2 mi off), but easily enough for what it's made for. I bought mine with a year of service, upgraded to Lifetime when it was offered. I am very pleased with my purchase.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (2020:Exp), United Gold
Trakdot with free Lifetime Subscription

In case anyone is interested, I got an email for:

GET FREE LIFETIME ANNUAL SERVICE
When you purchase a new Trakdot Luggage Tracker at $49.99

http://Trakdot.com/en/trakdot-luggage

Add to cart, and you will see Lifetime Plan included free. Good thru June 30 2015.

Enjoy!

Last edited by wh6cto; Jun 19, 2015 at 7:48 am Reason: Added title
Old Jun 19, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Pricing shown from the UK on that link is Ł79.99 ($125!!!) + $19 annual service charge.

I won't be biting unless I get a trip to the US soon.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wh6cto
In case anyone is interested, I got an email for:

GET FREE LIFETIME ANNUAL SERVICE
When you purchase a new Trakdot Luggage Tracker at $49.99

http://Trakdot.com/en/trakdot-luggage

Add to cart, and you will see Lifetime Plan included free. Good thru June 30 2015.

Enjoy!
Tried it in the US--there's absolutely no mention on the page you land on but it shows up in the cart. I've held off due to the annual costs, they just got a sale with this offer.
Old Jun 22, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, EVA Infinity Mileage Lands, Alaska mileage plan
I have had my trackdot for several years now. I have had excellent results on domestic travel. I have had mixed results in Thailand and one kind of funny thing happen in Costa Rica.

In Thailand I have usually not gotten my notification that my bag has reached Thailand until after I am in a car and out of the airport. In May and June of 2015 I had absolutely no results inside of Thailand. I have always a had very quick notification that my bag has reached TPE where I change planes.

In December when I went to Costa Rica I had a second notification that my bag had reached an airport when I was in a car service heading into town. My driver said that there was no airport with that name or letters. I found out later that there had been an airport there but that it had been closed a long time ago.

Since I have only ever had baggage problems with USA domestic airlines (never with EVA, Thai or Cathay) I really rely on my Trackdot to confirm that my bag has made it to each stop and that the information it would provide me would help locate my bag if it does not make it to my final destination.

I have never been able to get the Bluetooth portion of the app to work. That is the feature that is supposed to tell you how far away your bag is from you.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
PocketFinder / Eviate ?

really useful info in this thread.

just wondered if anybody had used PocketFinder or Eviate ?

http://www.pocketfinder.com/gps-locator/luggage-tracker/
http://www.eviate.com/
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:53 am

Eviate aren't shipping the eTrack yet. When I pre-ordered on months ago it was due to ship in August. Yesterday, I received the following uninformative email:

"Over the past months, the interest in our Eviate products from both consumers and businesses (like airlines, suitcase companies and travel agents) has been overwhelming.

This has led to some very good discussions that will further improve our product and service offering. Unfortunately this will require adjustments to the product and additional certification work, and we regret to inform you that we will not be able to ship our first Eviate eTracks until Q1 of 2016.

We apologise for this delay, but we do not want to launch anything less than the best possible product to ensure the total satisfaction of our customers.

We appreciate your understanding and hope you are willing to wait a bit longer for your eTrack.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

The Eviate Team"
Old Aug 8, 2015, 5:26 pm
Suspended

I can't see how this would possibly get you your luggage any quicker.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by FlipGFlop
Eviate aren't shipping the eTrack yet. When I pre-ordered on months ago it was due to ship in August. Yesterday, I received the following uninformative email:
At least it gives you a new date !

Useful to know. Thanks.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by ou81two
I can't see how this would possibly get you your luggage any quicker.
It doesn't get you your luggage any quicker, it shows you where it is. I could have used something like this in April when, for two days, AZ told me they had "no idea" where my bag was. At least I'd have had some useful information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.