So who wants an Apple Watch?

Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So who wants an Apple Watch?

Not me.

I have a watch I like already.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I've been using an Android Wear watch and I'm quite happy with it. So no.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Getting some popcorn out for this thread.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: EK - Silver; Accor - Silver; O6 - Gold; BAEC - Silver; Flying Blue; SPG; Krisflyer
I'm a big i-fan. But I was laughing so hard when I saw the prices for standard edition, my colleagues came over to find out what's busting my gut.

Apple must REALLY believe it can get anyone to buy anything for any amount...

Was planning to get one for my better half, but now I think it'll make more sense to get a nice Swiss automatic.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Not me; not yet. I don't have an iPhone at the moment. I might by a Wear watch, to go with my Nexus 5.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
This is your regular reminder that Apple is in the forefront of restricting your freedoms of what you can do with your computers ( for eg https://www.fsf.org/news/ibad_launch ) and as everything becomes a computer ( see a shocking list in Alan Cooper's Inmates Are Running the Asylum -- even warships ) that restricts your freedoms as well. Be very, very careful of buying a computer that doesn't let you run whatever you want.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chx1975
This is your regular reminder that Apple is in the forefront of restricting your freedoms of what you can do with your computers ( for eg https://www.fsf.org/news/ibad_launch ) and as everything becomes a computer ( see a shocking list in Alan Cooper's Inmates Are Running the Asylum -- even warships ) that restricts your freedoms as well. Be very, very careful of buying a computer that doesn't let you run whatever you want.
Looks like a boring five year old out of date scare story.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
I don't wear a watch. I use my phone for the time and everything else the Apple Watch can/will do.

Solution looking for a problem.

(Also - can you remember the first iPod. How do you think this years Apple Watch will look in 3 years time?)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Sticking with my Pebble Steel, until Google gets Android Wear to work with iOS then it will be a Sony Smartwatch 3 Metal.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Typical Apple launch. Everyone finds something wrong with the product.

Then product launches and they sell millions.

I'll buy one, just out of curiosity and love of shiny new objects.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Yes. I haven't found a good way to summarize it yet. The best way to understand the problem is to listen to Cory Doctorow's speeches but people scoff at me when I link 40-50 minute talks. I will try to find a good writeup.

Does Douglas Rushikoff's book title help? "Program or be programmed" -- and then you get devices that you can not program, where does that leave you?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by planemechanic
Haters gonna hate. Nothing new. Big, bad, evil "fill in successful company, industry" is standard fodder.

I had a Fitbit, wore it for about a week, and stuck it in a drawer. I'll stick with my Swiss automatics and iPhone/Pad/Pod.

My daughter got a Pebble for Xmas - not sure she's ever worn it - she's fine with her 6.

Originally Posted by ScottC
Then product launches and they sell millions.
Probably. Though I'm a bit more skeptical on the success of this one, after the initial wave.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Watches are for dinosaurs. My phone has time and does everything a watch would. I'm a big Apple fan, but smart watches are, well, stupid.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:10 pm

I'm getting back over $23,000 additional tax refund from the fed and state for acquiring two electric cars last year, so I'll "waste" a couple hundred of that on a watch that will let me play with the BMW i3 without taking my phone out.

The boarding passes and uber apps could be pretty useful. I'm sure there will eventually be a smart home app like Homewave that would let me play with my Vera and do all sorts of things.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.