Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

12 hours on an A380, lousy IFE - laptop or iPad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

12 hours on an A380, lousy IFE - laptop or iPad?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
A 7 or 8" Android tablet could be had for something like $50, which would be fine for watching videos. (+sd card, noise cancelling headphones)

I'm a fan of the small Windows tablets; the ability to run standard windows software makes them a lot more versatile, so less worrying about file formats etc. They can be fiddly to operate, though!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:48 am

+1 for the Kindle... Books are one of my fav. ways to pass time, even at home.

I picked up a Samsung tablet last year when doing a lot of long-haul flights. Very happy with it, and it takes standard SD cards so I can carry a bunch of those loaded with movies & such. Also, an external battery is always nice to have. I have a decent-sized Anker battery which has 3 USB ports on it. I think I only used it a couple of times last year, but the comfort of knowing I wasn't going to run out of power was worth it.

Don't forget about good old fashioned paper & pen... I actually wrote a few long-time friends good-old-fashioned letters and mailed them from various destinations. They were surprised to get them and it's now started us regularly writing letters back and forth.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
http://www.frys.com/product/8175375?site:sr=dealnews
^^^

Charges $12.80 for shipping and handling.

500 gb might be slightly overkill for my simple needs, so thought I try this first. I ordered two at the promo and got free shipping....

For Mac Users, the instruction manual is useless. The CD confuses you as there is no desk interface for Macs!

To upload data via usb cable, turn on, flip to usb mode, connect to Mac and it will read on desktop as storage device. Then simple drag/upload files. The wifi connection permits you to create individual SSD and password, again relatively painless.

Video playback on iPad air was clear, good quality. Will see if I can stream from HP to big screen tv tonight. So far, 3 thumbs up!

Update: Pocket/iPad/TV streaming works well.

Last edited by dtsm; Mar 16, 2015 at 8:58 am Reason: Tech support answered
Old Mar 15, 2015, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Get a decent(reviews) sub-$100 tablet and throw on some video content, etc. and enjoy on the cheap.

-Patrick
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rmac86
The iPad would be nice to have but if I am being honest I would only really use it when flying, so could be a potential waste of money, as I only plan on travelling for leisure so say 5 or 6 trips per year.
Buy used iPad. Do Trip. Sell used iPad for same price.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:55 pm

Rather than starting a new thread, for those interested in lightning/usb storage drives -- http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/20/the-be...ng-connectors/
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Mikity
I own a 64GB iPad - which is pretty much only for movies. I can put enough of them for at least 3 5-hour flights on it, and the battery will typically last for two of those (recharge in lounge or, if I'm lucky, on board).
BA have US/UK sockets on their 747/A380 planes in Club so you shouldn't run out of juice. The drawer isn't massive but it is large enough to store my onboard stuff from my hand luggage (tablet, tablets, Noise cancelling headphones, ebook, ear plugs, USB power supply etc. Despite the fact that I normally sleep for a large part of any journey I take all of that just in case. I agree that there isn't always masses that I want to watch on BA but the selection has improved and I have not been stuck for things to watch/listen to on recent trips.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum-2 MM Starwood Plat,Delta DM
Originally Posted by ScottC
Get an iPad or Android tablet - then add a wireless drive like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ZQW4BOELMARYBP

It'll add 500GB for just $99, plus you can then share that with others. Upsides are easier loading of content (loading your own content onto an iPad can be a pain), and of course way more storage space. Add a $20 Anker battery pack, and you'll be good to go for the entire flight.
I love your idea. The OP can find a very inexpensive IPAD or IPAD mini (used if he wants_, and he can go as low as 16GB or 32 and still have a ton of content with him. Plus no uploading to the tablet etc.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: QF
iPad definitely, pack light and move fast. I gave up laptops for travel the day I got my iPad Mini. Haven't looked back since.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:42 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by robertw477
I love your idea. The OP can find a very inexpensive IPAD or IPAD mini (used if he wants_, and he can go as low as 16GB or 32 and still have a ton of content with him. Plus no uploading to the tablet etc.
I find the idea pretty daft for entertainment on a plane. Another device to carry and charge and your tablet will drain even faster when using wifi. Just think a bit about what content to load and most people will be fine, even for a few flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.