Search

Anyone Installed MS Windows 10?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Anyone Installed MS Windows 10?

I have downloaded Windows 10 technical preview but haven't installed it yet. I was wondering if any of you have tried it yet. If so, is it stable enough to install on a partition or should I run it off of a virtual machine?

I skipped Windows 8 and would like to see if the changes made in 10 are enough to make me upgrade. I've used Windows 8 on my friend's pc and hate it. I'm not sure what the hell Microsoft was thinking by releasing that abomination of an operating system. And apparently consumers feel the same way with Windows 7 still having the majority of the market share among pc users. They need to get rid of that childish metro screen and bring back the actual start menu. I don't want to have to search for my programs either. I want to point to a folder and open my programs within a matter of seconds which is why I stick with Windows 7.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a thread in Travel Technology:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...on-thread.html
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:04 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
There's a thread in Travel Technology:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...on-thread.html
Thanks, never would have thought to look in that forum. I figured it was reserved for the few people left using corporate Blackberries.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I skipped Windows 8 and would like to see if the changes made in 10 are enough to make me upgrade. I've used Windows 8 on my friend's pc and hate it. I'm not sure what the hell Microsoft was thinking by releasing that abomination of an operating system. And apparently consumers feel the same way with Windows 7 still having the majority of the market share among pc users. They need to get rid of that childish metro screen and bring back the actual start menu.
You can bring back the actual start menu with the free Start Menu 8 or an alternative. Then Windows 8 operates like Windows 7 in look and feel. I have a tablet and a laptop configured this way and I get the benefits of a newer operating system without ever seeing the Metro interface.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
$5 for Start8, boot to the classic interface, and all is back to normal. My kids hit some key combination a couple of weeks ago and brought up the Metro/Modern/Tile/UIThatShallNotBeNamed interface for the first time since my PC was 2 days old.

Once that's out of the way, there are several improvements over 7.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:45 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
My favorite is the free Classic Shell. I can have the XP Start menu but all the advantages of Win7.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Didn't know about the programs to bring the start menu back. I guess I'm still happy with Windows 7 and haven't seen a need to switch. If Windows 10 brings back some normalcy then I'll consider upgrading. As far as Windows 8 goes...kill it, kill it with fire. It's the most unintuitive operating system I've ever used. It might be ok for tablets but it has no place on a pc/laptop.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CPRich
Once that's out of the way, there are several improvements over 7.
Yes, under the hood it is quite a bit better.

Sadly it was dressed up like a Pontiac Aztek.

I like the idea of some live tiles and a start menu though. Let's see if Win 10 can thread the needle
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I have downloaded Windows 10 technical preview but haven't installed it yet. I was wondering if any of you have tried it yet. If so, is it stable enough to install on a partition or should I run it off of a virtual machine?

I skipped Windows 8 and would like to see if the changes made in 10 are enough to make me upgrade. I've used Windows 8 on my friend's pc and hate it. I'm not sure what the hell Microsoft was thinking by releasing that abomination of an operating system. And apparently consumers feel the same way with Windows 7 still having the majority of the market share among pc users. They need to get rid of that childish metro screen and bring back the actual start menu. I don't want to have to search for my programs either. I want to point to a folder and open my programs within a matter of seconds which is why I stick with Windows 7.
I installed it the day it became available, running on a virtual machine on my MacBook. I really like it. It corrects almost all the sins of Windows 8. Almost.

I have my Windows 7 laptop setup to basically function like XP/Vista, but can't repeat all of that, but can get close, in 10.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:12 am

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Sadly it was dressed up like a Pontiac Aztek.
I used that exact comparison in a presentation once, so this gave me a good laugh :-)

I guess being Walter White's car in Breaking Bad will remain the Aztek's main claim to fame.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 6:17 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Didn't know about the programs to bring the start menu back. I guess I'm still happy with Windows 7 and haven't seen a need to switch. If Windows 10 brings back some normalcy then I'll consider upgrading. As far as Windows 8 goes...kill it, kill it with fire. It's the most unintuitive operating system I've ever used. It might be ok for tablets but it has no place on a pc/laptop.
One unintuitive but very useful feature of Windows 8: the Metro desktop has an invisible search field that works like the search field in the Windows 7 Start menu. Whenever the Metro desktop is displayed, you can just type the name of a program and Windows will find it.

I'm not suggesting this is an example of good design, but knowing it will make your time with Windows 8 a lot less frustrating.

Last edited by ajGoes; Oct 26, 2014 at 5:02 pm Reason: Correct version number
Old Oct 26, 2014, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ajGoes
One unintuitive but very useful feature of Windows 10: the Metro desktop has an invisible search field that works like the search field in the Windows 7 Start menu. Whenever the Metro desktop is displayed, you can just type the name of a program and Windows will find it.
This isn't new. You can do this with Windows 8 and 8.1 too.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 5:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by WWGuy
This isn't new. You can do this with Windows 8 and 8.1 too.
Argh! I meant to write Windows 8.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm waiting for the fully touch-optimized version (hopefully there will be a preview release) at which point I'll throw it on my Surface Pro.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Free upgrade offer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.