Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Forum for international prepaid SIM card trading?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, AAdvantage, Flying Blue, TrueBlue

Hello everyone,

it is certainly very nice to land in a foreign country, turn on your phone and have data practically for free.

This is why I have a prepaid Italian Vodafone SIM card which, for 3 euros a day, gives me 500mb of data a day in the EU, Albania, Turkey, Canada, etc. Instead, I use a Three UK for those countries where they offer free roaming: US, Australia, Indonesia, France, Israel, etc, etc. I recommend these two sim cards to all world travelers. I have also heard of a Slovenian sim card that is similar in cost and coverage to the vodafone italy one but also offers practiclaly unlimited minutes to the EU.

However, often, the above SIM cards do not offer cheap roaming where I am going. That is why, whenever possible, I try to buy a SIM card (with some prepaid credit) of the country I am travelling to on EBay. These are particularly easy to find when it comes to countries that do not require SIM cards to be registered.

Unfortunately, it is not always possible to find SIM cards on eBay. There is usually no problem finding a Russian, Thai or Chinese SIM card. However, good luck finding one from Tunisia, Moldova or Singapore.

That is why, I am wondering if there are any website out there that allow fellow travelers to exchange SIM cards. This, ideally, would be on a friendly basis. I would list which SIM cards I am willing to ship out and others would do the same. There is no point in keeping SIM cards that expire a few months after the last recharge. This would also allow for savings as SIM cards found on eBay are usually significantly over priced.

Luckily, most SIM cards can be recharged online these days.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.