Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Would you buy an expensive laptop from Amazon WarehouseDeals?

Old Feb 5, 15, 9:55 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me

I have become obsessed with owning a Samsung Ativa Book 9 15.6" laptop. The i7 configuration is quite expensive at around $1800.

( We own the 13.3" version and it is the best laptop we have ever owned.)

I have found several on Amazon in their WarehouseDeals at about $1225. The problem is that although there is the 30 day return....there is no warranty on the laptop. ( normally one year from Samsung)

Would you buy a " very good' condition laptop from Amazon w/o a warranty?

edit: When I go to check out they are offering to add a 4 year warranty for about $300 but when I go to the website offering the warranty it says "for a new laptop only.."

Last edited by david55; Feb 5, 15 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 5, 15, 11:26 am

I personally wouldn't. Purchase new from an established retailer and pay with your Amex! Here's a deal for you, model NP940X5J-K02US at B&H for $1399, no tax unless you're a NYker

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._8_1_15_6.html
Old Feb 5, 15, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedy_j View Post
I personally wouldn't. Purchase new from an established retailer and pay with your Amex! Here's a deal for you, model NP940X5J-K02US at B&H for $1399, no tax unless you're a NYker

wow...great deal. I just wish their refund policy was a little better ( no refunds on computers)
Old Feb 5, 15, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA
Which model? I have been eying them myself - but I guess there has been, or soon will be, a model change. That might be what they are offering. Which very well might meet your needs and be cheaper to boot.
Old Feb 5, 15, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
Which model? I have been eying them myself - but I guess there has been, or soon will be, a model change. That might be what they are offering. Which very well might meet your needs and be cheaper to boot.
The one that speedy __j found is the exact one we wanted.
Old Feb 5, 15, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would, and I have in the past. I'm perfectly willing to take the gamble if it saves that much. If it doesn't break down in the first week of use, my experience is that it will work for years. Amazon Warehouse Deals is pretty good about taking items back that are not as they described. They won't just take them back for no reason, but if they ship something that is different from their description, they have never had an issue sending me a different one, or refunding my money. In fact, they once shipped me a NEW computer when the warehouse deals one was damaged beyond their online description.
Old Feb 5, 15, 1:58 pm

If I am looking for that laptop, I would probably go for the deal speedy posted. I bought lots of stuff from B&H Photo in the last 15 years or so. They are a good legit tech store and best of all you don't have to pay sales tax unless you are in NY I think. Without sale tax, it would be about the same price as the Amazon Warehouse one which would most likely charge sales tax.

As for the no return policy, I think it usually only applies if there is nothing wrong with the item and you just want to return it. If it is defective, you should be able to return it or at least exchange it. Amazon does have a really good return policy and that's probably why there are so many of those laptops on Amazon warehouse!
Old Feb 5, 15, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Our issue is that we wanted to feel and touch this machine before we bought it but no retail brick and mortar store carries it. We wanted to feel the weight
(4.4#) and see if it is something we wouldn't mind hauling around on trips.

That is why the 30 day Amazon return policy is one that is hard to beat.
Old Feb 5, 15, 2:36 pm

I purchased a tablet and returned when it had charging issues within a week to B&H before. I suggest using your Amex Plat or similar to take advantage of Amex's Return Protection should you have problems, remorse within 30 days.
Old Feb 5, 15, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
Our issue is that we wanted to feel and touch this machine before we bought it but no retail brick and mortar store carries it. We wanted to feel the weight
(4.4#) and see if it is something we wouldn't mind hauling around on trips.

That is why the 30 day Amazon return policy is one that is hard to beat.
That's the hard part. If you are in NYC, B&H has a brick and mortar store - I think all their product ships from there so you can usually look at anything they offer.

I haven't checked for a few months, but the last I knew the Ativa 9 15" was the lightest 15in laptop available. Supposedly just a hair lighter than the Macbook Air 15", so that should give you something to compare it to.
Old Feb 5, 15, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cloudship View Post
That's the hard part. If you are in NYC, B&H has a brick and mortar store - I think all their product ships from there so you can usually look at anything they offer.

I haven't checked for a few months, but the last I knew the Ativa 9 15" was the lightest 15in laptop available. Supposedly just a hair lighter Macbook Air 15", so that should give you something to compare it to.
It comes in at 4.4#. Pretty light. The 13.3 Ativa we have is just a hair over 3#.

We are in Seattle.
Old Feb 5, 15, 7:14 pm

I just bought a refurb T440s from Lenovo outlet, which comes with 1 year warranty. The price made it a worthy risk... That and I have several friends who work for Lenovo and buy lots of stuff from their outlet mall
Old Feb 5, 15, 8:09 pm

A lot of it comes down to how comfortable are you with repairing a laptop or do you know someone who can repair it for you. Personally most of what I buy for electronics is refurbs/clearance/used, but then again I am comfortable taking apart a laptop. Perhaps too comfortable sometimes. Will you have a backup? It isn't that hard these days to find someone who can fix it cheap or quickly, it is hard to find someone who can fix it quickly for cheap.
Old Feb 6, 15, 9:39 am
Original Poster

I took the plunge and bought the machine.( $1399) At that price it was $500 cheaper for this configuration than anywhere else.

Thanks again for pointing it out.
Old Feb 6, 15, 10:17 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
... I suggest using your Amex Plat or similar to take advantage of Amex's Return Protection should you have problems, remorse within 30 days.
Return Protection is capped at $300 per transaction.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...latinum#detail

Search this Thread
Search Engine: