Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2015: Which Smartphone Should I Get?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
That Sony M4 allegedly has a horrible camera, not to mention pretty poor on board storage.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:17 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
That Sony M4 allegedly has a horrible camera, not to mention pretty poor on board storage.
The camera I'm aware of. The version currently going for $200 on Amazon is the 16gb, not the 8gb.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not really phone-related, but my Nexus 7 (2013) finally got the Marshmallow OTA. This OS is legit. The Doze functionality is incredible.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
The camera I'm aware of. The version currently going for $200 on Amazon is the 16gb, not the 8gb.
Even 16gb is a joke these days, but at least you have SD capability. The day when 32gb becomes the base configuration can't come soon enough.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
Even 16gb is a joke these days, but at least you have SD capability. The day when 32gb becomes the base configuration can't come soon enough.
Seems 32gb is already the norm with Android Flagships, but I haven't had much issue even with 16gb and no SD on my last 2 phones (Moto X 2014, Blu Vivo Air LTE). I might store more music/video locally with SD expansion, but even that is yet to be seen.

The Sony Xperia M4 Aqua arrived yesterday and it seems like a real winner, especially at the $200 price point. It's snappy, the screen is great, and while not as thin as the Vivo Air LTE, it's on-par with the current crop of flagships and the 5" screen size really is the sweet-spot. The camera is so-so but not as horrible as some reviews have made it out to be. From a functionality standpoint, the stand-alone shutter button with half-press actually makes the camera more usable, even if low-light PQ isn't the best.

The skin is slightly heavier handed than I like, but Google Now Launcher, Google Messenger, Google Keyboard, Google Camera, and Google Photos took care of the worst of it (the dialer and contacts apps being the last bit I can't get around, and they're not really objectionable). It's nice to have NFC and Android Pay back. Wireless charging and/or QC2.0 are the only real omissions, with the latter being the only one I really care about... that said, the battery/CPU combo seems robust enough that it's less of a concern.

At $200 for the 16gb US version, I'd put this at the top of the list of anyone looking to go with an ATT or TMO MVNO UNLESS camera quality is the absolute number one priority, at which point I'd probably look at the Moto G 2015 16gb/2gb instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.