Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Looking for Sat Nav for UK & Europe

Old Dec 1, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Dear Experts

We are planning to purchase a sat nav budget £100-£200 to use here in the UK and also sometimes abroad in central and northern Europe and possible if we go to the US.

We do not own a car and will be renting when we drive somewhere.

Is there any particular sat nav that people recommend. We want one that has lane recognition and is very easy to understand (my sense of directions is very bad).

Cheers
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:05 am

Programs: UA AU (ex 10+ year 1k) 1.5MM, AS Newbie, HH ex Dia
I've been using Garmin US/Europe models for 10+ years. I picked up the latest model (nuvi 2559 LMT) this year and I've been very pleased. Faster destination entry and search, fast satellite acquisition, excellent directions and display (although it took me a while to get familiar with the instructions on the "wrong" side of the road around Heathrow). I've used mine in the US, UK, France, and Germany so far.

The only complaints I have are that the screen is rather reflective and the battery life is short (around 2 hours). Since you need to plug in to get traffic, that's not too much of an issue.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MrOCTeckels
I've been using Garmin US/Europe models for 10+ years. I picked up the latest model (nuvi 2559 LMT) this year and I've been very pleased. Faster destination entry and search, fast satellite acquisition, excellent directions and display (although it took me a while to get familiar with the instructions on the "wrong" side of the road around Heathrow). I've used mine in the US, UK, France, and Germany so far.

The only complaints I have are that the screen is rather reflective and the battery life is short (around 2 hours). Since you need to plug in to get traffic, that's not too much of an issue.
Thanks, looked it up on Amazon, mixed reviews, not bad price.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:05 pm

Programs: United Platinum
Originally Posted by Polomarc
Dear Experts

We are planning to purchase a sat nav budget £100-£200 to use here in the UK and also sometimes abroad in central and northern Europe and possible if we go to the US.

We do not own a car and will be renting when we drive somewhere.

Is there any particular sat nav that people recommend. We want one that has lane recognition and is very easy to understand (my sense of directions is very bad).

Cheers
Is there a reason you aren't just using Google Maps on a smartphone? Assuming you've already got the phone, a couple of hundred pounds should pay for plenty of data charges instead of buying a new piece of kit, and the app itself is quite good. Or you could add a Garmin or other phone app if desired.

Stand-alone GPS products have their uses, but for standard driving directions a phone with Google Maps seems a much more economical way to go, so I'm wondering what feature you want that they don't offer.

Bob
Old Dec 1, 2014, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bpratt
Is there a reason you aren't just using Google Maps on a smartphone? Assuming you've already got the phone, a couple of hundred pounds should pay for plenty of data charges instead of buying a new piece of kit, and the app itself is quite good. Or you could add a Garmin or other phone app if desired.

Stand-alone GPS products have their uses, but for standard driving directions a phone with Google Maps seems a much more economical way to go, so I'm wondering what feature you want that they don't offer.

Bob
We used our smart phones once, thought it was very fiddly and problem to watch it on the phone. Have a new phone now, might try to get some apps and see how it goes.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: United Platinum
We used our smart phones once, thought it was very fiddly and problem to watch it on the phone. Have a new phone now, might try to get some apps and see how it goes.
Especially if you don't own a car and drive occasionally, you might as well try the free (except for data charges) Google Maps option first. The current version does include turn by turn voice navigation, so you don't need to watch the phone all the time. And you can always buy a standalone GPS if the phone approach doesn't work for you.

The phone would also have the advantage of using it for walking directions when on foot. I use my phone for that quite a bit when wandering around London, Paris, New York, etc and needing to find the closest Tube stop, restaurant, or a specific address.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:04 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I've started using Waze on my phone. It's a "social" navigation system, and is free!

It's good for the UK and US, but it was a bit lacking in Spain.

Some of the taxi drivers in Paris are using it so a way of avoiding traffic jams.

Another good one is Co Pilot. Pretty cheap.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:45 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I've started using Waze on my phone. It's a "social" navigation system, and is free!

It's good for the UK and US, but it was a bit lacking in Spain.

Some of the taxi drivers in Paris are using it so a way of avoiding traffic jams.

Another good one is Co Pilot. Pretty cheap.
+1 for Waze. I've found it generally good for highlighting speed traps and traffic jams. I find it as useful if not more so than the traffic reports on radio and TV.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:44 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
There are some cheap vent clip mounts that can get the phone up closer to eye level and make it less cumbersome to use, which is usually the biggest detractor compared to a dedicated GPS. Something like this is well worth $4 and small enough to keep in a gadget bag so you have it any time you need it.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:52 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bpratt

Bob
^^^^^ This

I've used my Nexus 4 in both the US and Ireland on recent trips. I take a window mount (not for CA) with me. For a longer trip in IE I took a 12v adapter. Works great and Google does a better job with the traffic timing that my Garmin.

I think the days of the dedicated SatNav are limited.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the very helpful tips. I will have a look on the best app especially one that has lane indication.

Just wanted to ask, a very dumb question. If I use it abroad do I have to be roaming or does it just use GPS?

Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Thanks again for the very helpful tips. I will have a look on the best app especially one that has lane indication.

Just wanted to ask, a very dumb question. If I use it abroad do I have to be roaming or does it just use GPS?

There are apps that can download maps for free and just use gps (no data). I like Sygic but I paid for the maps, apps like Navfree may work for you.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:15 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver

Google maps need roaming data - you also benefit from live traffic and they do have lane indication. Also a good voice assistance.

If it's cheaper/easier you can use a portable MiFi for the roaming data.

Downloading local maps can save some data. Or use another app.

I've got a corporate all you can eat data plan, so it's not an issue for me.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I used my T-Mobile Smart Choice data in Germany recently. The iPhone worked like a charm and we never had any data lap problems. Had a car with a GPS but never saw any reason to turn it on, the phone worked great.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Potentially very useful as it incorporates live updates from other travellers. I tried it on wifi and it looked good.

However, it requires roaming and depending on your plan could be expensive.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.