Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

A Simple iPad Problem That's DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Simple iPad Problem That's DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Angry A Simple iPad Problem That's DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!

OK, all I want to do is transfer a couple of pictures from my Windows PC to my iPad. Can it be done without that idiotic "Sync" crap that Apple makes you do? I don't want all my other pictures wiped out, I just want to add a few pictures I got that I want to show others on my iPad. Is it possible???
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Do you have a cloud account (Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc)? You could copy them there and then download them to your iPad.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyinbob
OK, all I want to do is transfer a couple of pictures from my Windows PC to my iPad. Can it be done without that idiotic "Sync" crap that Apple makes you do? I don't want all my other pictures wiped out, I just want to add a few pictures I got that I want to show others on my iPad. Is it possible???
Why not just email the pictures to yourself ?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 11:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
^
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Showbizguru
The pictures are 4 to 5 mb. Big e-mail.

But it sounds like there is no such thing with Apple as a drag-and-drop, or just a straight transfer?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
This one does seem to have a decently easy resolution (e-mail them to yourself, or via a cloud sharing service you can access on both PC and iPad).

But I find that in general, Apple devices close themselves off to a ridiculous degree. My wife recently made a short film for a wedding on her Mac... and wow, was it painful getting it exported in a high-quality format. iMovie or whatever it is now wanted of course to export as QuickTime, which for many reasons was not a good option. Now, on my PC, using free software, I can easily export high-quality video in a dozen or more formats. But her Mac severely limited those options without buying QuickTime Pro.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by exerda
This one does seem to have a decently easy resolution (e-mail them to yourself, or via a cloud sharing service you can access on both PC and iPad).

But I find that in general, Apple devices close themselves off to a ridiculous degree. My wife recently made a short film for a wedding on her Mac... and wow, was it painful getting it exported in a high-quality format. iMovie or whatever it is now wanted of course to export as QuickTime, which for many reasons was not a good option. Now, on my PC, using free software, I can easily export high-quality video in a dozen or more formats. But her Mac severely limited those options without buying QuickTime Pro.
Or you just use Handbrake on the Mac to convert it for free. Besides, the latest "format" of Quicktime is MP4, which playable by every media play that I know of.

To answer Bob's question (or to annoy him - I don't know which), iPads can do what you want ... with a Mac.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, HH, SPG
If the resolution does not need to be perfect, and I know may sound lousy, but consider taking a photo with your iPad of the image you want while you have it up on the screen of your Windows PC. And it's then on your iPad. Just a thought...
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able to plug your iPad into your PC with a USB cord. It will show as a hard drive that you can copy photos (only photos!) to.

Email it to yourself (4-5 MB is nothing...I think GMail lets you send emails up to 25 MB).

Or set up the iCloud Control Panel on your PC and it will auto-sync your photos between your computer and iPad.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:30 pm

Here's an article that has a couple of recommendations:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...e-onto-an-ipad

Also there is a recommendation in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4617045

Let us know if any of it works.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by exerda

I can upload a MP4 of MKV file to VLC on my iPad with no problem. Were you using some odd file type?
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Put it on dropbox and open it on dropbox app on your ipad.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
When I'm too lazy to sync I just email the picture to myself, as was suggested above.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 2:45 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by planemechanic
I can upload a MP4 of MKV file to VLC on my iPad with no problem. Were you using some odd file type?
Interesting. Part of the problem was that the majority of file export types supported on her version of iMovie had terrible compression artifacts despite tweaking the settings. The best results were for MP4 that came out around 600MB in size for a three minute clip, but something about that MP4 would only open in QuickTime. Everything else said it wasn't a valid MP4.

I spent hours trying to get better results with little success. Part of the problem was that her DVD burner wasn't working, and I needed to burn from my PC and get it into some sort of video format I could work with there. I was able to get some very poor quality formats across, but the MP4 didn't work.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
You should be able to plug your iPad into your PC with a USB cord. It will show as a hard drive that you can copy photos (only photos!) to.
This is what I was trying to do, but (I think) my PC won't let me. It says the device isn't connected or shut down, and it is actually connected and open. I figured this was the easiest way, but I can't get it to work. Am I missing something (other than a fully functional brain at the moment )?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.