Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Noise cancelling headphone, recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KE/OZ/QF/VA

I am looking at buying a noise cancelling headphone for a trip at the end of the year. Been hearing alot about how good they are for travelling, but when I went into a shop to check some out on the weekend, they were all seemed pretty bulky to me.

Can anyone give me recommendations for a decent quality noise cancelling headphone that is relatively compact and around $100-$200.

Thanks in advance ^
Old Sep 24, 2014, 10:47 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
http://www.audio-technica.com/cms/he...128/index.html
Old Sep 24, 2014, 11:53 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
Have you tried the in-ear headsets? I used a Bose QC2 headset for many years (the over the ear kind). Recently I changed to the Bose QC20i, which is an in-ear noise cancelling headset. The noise cancellation works just as well and it is much less bulky, which is the main reason I switched. You can easily sleep with your head on the side with the in-ear headset.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:36 am

Programs: AA PLT (fmr EXP), UA SLV, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Premier (LTG), IHG Gold, National Exec Elite
I personally use the Bose QC15 over-ears and love them, but they are bulky and take up a lot of space in my laptop bag. My Bose in-ear bluetooth is the most comfortable I've worn so the QC20's are definitely interesting. I'd say overall though, noise cancelling in general is some of the best money I've spent for traveling.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:32 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by GSSmith
I personally use the Bose QC15 over-ears and love them, but they are bulky and take up a lot of space in my laptop bag. My Bose in-ear bluetooth is the most comfortable I've worn so the QC20's are definitely interesting. I'd say overall though, noise cancelling in general is some of the best money I've spent for traveling.
I have QC15 and QC20s. The QC20's are so good that the QC15s stay on the shelf. The QC20's are not just for flying. I use them for Skype and as my daily headset for phone calls.

The only problem with the QC20's is that sometimes I cannot hear the flight attendant offering me an ice cream sunday in First.

EW
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:52 am

I'm also trying to decide between the qc20 and qc25. They are the same price its a tough choice. Anyone help?
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikelcf
Have you tried the in-ear headsets? I used a Bose QC2 headset for many years (the over the ear kind). Recently I changed to the Bose QC20i, which is an in-ear noise cancelling headset. The noise cancellation works just as well and it is much less bulky, which is the main reason I switched. You can easily sleep with your head on the side with the in-ear headset.
I bought a pair of MIE2i on my last year's trip and I am reasonably satisfied with it, it is certainly comfortable. I never thought about in-ear noise cancelling headset, i always thought it only comes in over ears. Thanks for the suggestion, it def looks more compact and easier to travel with.

Originally Posted by GSSmith
I am not too sure whether it's the same one, but I think i used the Bose QC15 onboard KE F Class last year. I did like it but don't remember being bulky or not. Maybe cause I was only using it onboard and didn't need to carry it around. Yes, I've been reading a lot about noise cancelling functions on travel forums, seems like a good investment for travelling.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ethernetWeasel
The only problem with the QC20's is that sometimes I cannot hear the flight attendant offering me an ice cream sunday in First.

EW
That could be a serious problem haha

I see that QC20 has a separate control module. Is it big enough to be awkward to use? like when you are holding your phone browsing web while listening to music, do you have to hold on to the module at the same time?

Last edited by kp88; Sep 25, 2014 at 2:43 am Reason: change of words
Old Sep 25, 2014, 5:27 am

kp88, I know it's beyond your stated price range, but the Bose QC20i in-ears really are excellent. My wife is a total non-techie and doubter, but after she tried mine she bought herself a pair. Now THAT'S a solid endorsement! A few months ago they were on sale at Target (I forget the discount--10%?, 15%?). The only time I've seen Bose gear on a widely-advertised sale.
The power module is at the end of a long-ish cord and I've never had any problem with the 20i's interfering with using my gear, sleeping on a plane, etc.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by mikelcf
Originally Posted by ethernetWeasel
I have QC15 and QC20s. The QC20's are so good that the QC15s stay on the shelf. The QC20's are not just for flying. I use them for Skype and as my daily headset for phone calls.

EW
Originally Posted by LocoCoco
kp88, I know it's beyond your stated price range, but the Bose QC20i in-ears really are excellent. My wife is a total non-techie and doubter, but after she tried mine she bought herself a pair. Now THAT'S a solid endorsement! A few months ago they were on sale at Target (I forget the discount--10%?, 15%?). The only time I've seen Bose gear on a widely-advertised sale.
The power module is at the end of a long-ish cord and I've never had any problem with the 20i's interfering with using my gear, sleeping on a plane, etc.
I would recommend the QC20 as well.

You can sleep in it in comfort, no need to have any audio, the NC circuit will create a comfortably quiet sleeping environment for my needs.

Bose is the leader in NC technology with military use and R&D. It is the best as far as noise cancelling is concern.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:54 pm

Consider Etymotic Research

I have used the higher-end Etymotic Research in-ear passive noise-cancelling earphones. The sound quality is incredible, it blocks out virtually all noise, and no batteries.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Bose is the only real option for active noise canceling - they're just head and shoulder above everyone else. The headphones are fragile / cheap feeling and the sound reproduction is just OK. But if you don't want to hear the plane, train, or whatever else then they are the absolute best option.

For passive - Sennheiser HD280s isolate pretty well and a good set of custom fit earbuds will also isolate quite well.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
There are several discussions in the forum on the topic - it may be best to search/review.

I've always preferred in-ear 'phones for the reasons noted - about 1% the bulk/size and weight, no batteries, comfortable to doze off in, etc., etc.

I have VSonic GR07s, but Shure and Etymotic make good products at several price points - I've used both brands regularly in the past. (over-ear are probably harder to lose - though I've had my V's for several years now - a record)
Old Sep 26, 2014, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by kirkbauer
I have used the higher-end Etymotic Research in-ear passive noise-cancelling earphones. The sound quality is incredible, it blocks out virtually all noise, and no batteries.
More or less the best out there.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 6:50 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
On the budget end I've had good luck with the Audio Technica ANC27. They performed just as well as the QC2s they replaced (broken band, flaky ear cups). The cups are a bit on the small size for an over-the-ear design, but they work well for me and don't feel like coffee cans surrounding my ears. Playback still works when the NC function is turned off or the batteries are dead, unlike some others. The build-quality is definitely on the plastic side but they come with a nice carrying case and have held up to ~3 years of use without issue. My only real complaint is the semi-proprietary removable cable (2.5mm with locking lug on the headphone end), but the MFG sent me a new one for free when I lost mine well outside the warranty period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.