Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Anyone waiting for one of these?

It seems another incremental upgrade from the Note 3, but the screen looks pretty amazing. I'm torn on whether I should wait for the Note 4 or just pull the trigger on an LG G3. I'm not really an S-Pen user at all, and though some of the new S-Pen features look interesting I suspect the same thing will happen that happened with my Note 2: I'll use it for a week and then never remove it from the phone again.

I'm disappointed that it didn't get the S5's IP67 water and dust resistance.

As for the also announced Note Edge, I can't really conceive of any situation where the screen edge will be of any real use. It seems like just a silly novelty to me and I imagine myself fat-fingering the edge every time I try to use the phone.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:31 am

I agree. I don't remember when was the last time I took out the s-pen on my Note 2. Although if I am not going with the iPhone 6, I would probably pick the Sony Xperia Z3 over the LG G3. I don't really care too much about screen resolution. The G3 looks kind of "fat". The Z3 looks sleeker and I am thinking about getting a PS4 for my son this Christmas... the remote play would be cool.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have seen the Z3 but I have heard it's only coming to Verizon and I'm on (and happy with) AT&T. If I were considering it I'd be concerned that it is shipping with the Snapdragon 801 instead of 805.

The G3 concerns me because of its lagginess and the fact that 3 months in the bootloader has yet to be unlocked, but otherwise it seems pretty amazing and gets solid reviews.

I'm considering the Note 4, the G3, and perhaps the impending Nexus 6/X/whatever. Decisions decisions!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
I'm happy with my M8 and OnePlus One.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I have seen the Z3 but I have heard it's only coming to Verizon and I'm on (and happy with) AT&T. If I were considering it I'd be concerned that it is shipping with the Snapdragon 801 instead of 805.
Z3 is an exclusive on T-mobile.

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/09/03...united-states/
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Ah, T-Mo. Still not available to me.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by planeluvr
I'm happy with my M8 and OnePlus One.
I'd probably have bought a OnePlus One if it weren't for their invite system.

Last edited by SRQ Guy; Sep 4, 2014 at 7:01 am
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'm currently using an AT&T Galaxy S4 running a GPE ROM and I'm completely bi-polar on what I want to replace it with. I'm sensitive to off-contract price because my employer will only supply iOS devices at their cost, though they'll let me use my own Android device on their plan.

The footprint of the Note 4, and the Note-series in general, put me off from it more so than the actual screen size.

I would LOVE the Galaxy Alpha if it weren't for the 1860mah batter. I'm not sure if I want to go with a 5.5" screen like the OnePlus One or LG G3 (but I have a feeling I will, anyway). I don't want something with a footprint as big as the HTC M8 IF the screen is still only 5". I'm not impressed with the build quality of the S5 (or my S4 for that matter). Honestly, the Moto G replacement is what I want to see the most... if it ups the screen to 4.7" or 5" with the new Snapdragon 410 and 2gb RAM, I'll probably be sold. Otherwise, a 5" OnePlus One would probably be my ideal phone. I'm even considering a refurb HTC M7 for $250... it would be a lateral step spec-wise, but a big build-quality improvement over the S4 and still capable of easily running GPE roms (I'm assuming it will still officially get Android L).
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Always been a die hard Samsung fan with a Note 3, but the G3 is by far the best I've ever owned.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well I got an invite, and bought a 64GB OnePlus One. SO I Guess I'm out of the market for now.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
As for the also announced Note Edge, I can't really conceive of any situation where the screen edge will be of any real use. It seems like just a silly novelty to me and I imagine myself fat-fingering the edge every time I try to use the phone.
I'd disagree on that. Think about how you hold the phone in your hand. Having options that your thumb can work through would be very useful.

Have to give Samsung some credit, they pwned Apple by dropping this the week before Apple's iPhone 6 announcement. I was not excited to see my Apple shares drop over 4% yesterday. Personally, I think that's a bit of an overreaction.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HDQDD
I'd disagree on that. Think about how you hold the phone in your hand. Having options that your thumb can work through would be very useful.

Have to give Samsung some credit, they pwned Apple by dropping this the week before Apple's iPhone 6 announcement. I was not excited to see my Apple shares drop over 4% yesterday. Personally, I think that's a bit of an overreaction.
Perhaps my imagination is just failing.

I'm sure Apple shares will recover when they make their announcement next week. The availability of a 5.5" form factor alone will answer a lot of the criticism they've endured recently, even though it will be fun to watch the iFans explaining how the 5.5" phone is suddenly absolutely necessary, when up until now they've been calling large phones stupid.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As for the also announced Note Edge, I can't really conceive of any situation where the screen edge will be of any real use.
I would mainly use it for this...

I wouldn't have to turn on the whole phone's screen to find out what time it was. Especially in the middle of the night.
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Well I got an invite, and bought a 64GB OnePlus One. SO I Guess I'm out of the market for now.
I thought it was old news?
Old Sep 4, 2014, 8:52 am

I was with VZW on a Note 3, and have since switched to T-Mo on another Note 3. I think it is safe to say I will be buying a Note 4, just not sure which one yet.

I think the Edge display is rather novel, and I am sure I would use it, but I am equally particular about my case selection, and I am having a tough time envisioning how a case would work out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.