Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend a Qi charger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Hopefully more people will be contributing to this thread now.
Yup, I'll look for more recent reviews. Family member just got an iPhone 8 Plus, I'll be ordering an iPhone X, so am interested in Qi chargers.

I did order this Choetech model as an initial inexpensive purchase to try things out, should be here next week.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by CatJo
Yup, I'll look for more recent reviews. Family member just got an iPhone 8 Plus, I'll be ordering an iPhone X, so am interested in Qi chargers.

I did order this Choetech model as an initial inexpensive purchase to try things out, should be here next week.
Just to temper your expectations. This looks like a single-coil charger, which means that placement of the phone could be ... finicky. You may have to lift and replace multiple times before it starts charging. That can be abated if you purchase a "triple coil" wireless charger--much more room for placement error.

The other thing to note is that you cannot operate your phone while on this type of charging pad. If you poke at your phone, it will tip and fall off. For future reference, I would highly recommend something like this charger. It's angled so that it's easier to read; plus, you can poke at your phone as much as you want while it charges.

Another thing to note is that many wireless chargers do not come with a power adapter. You need to ensure that your power adapter outputs a minimum of 2A, preferably 2.4A.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
What I'd like to see is a Qi powerbank with a charging sleeve. This would allow people to slip their phone in their purse or equivalentand get a charge while still being able to do a "fast draw."
That's a pretty good idea. I've never seen it done. I wouldn't share it here if I were you.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Just to temper your expectations. This looks like a single-coil charger, which means that placement of the phone could be ... finicky. You may have to lift and replace multiple times before it starts charging. That can be abated if you purchase a "triple coil" wireless charger--much more room for placement error.
That was very helpful, good to know. I'll order the one you linked, similarly priced!
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
What I'd like to see is a Qi powerbank with a charging sleeve. This would allow people to slip their phone in their purse or equivalentand get a charge while still being able to do a "fast draw."
Something like this?

https://www.knomobags.com/eu/dropgo-...powerbank.html

I've funded the new Knomo backpack on Kickstarter but decided against the Qi charging sleeve. That was before Qi was confirmed for the new iPhones however.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Something like this?

https://www.knomobags.com/eu/dropgo-...powerbank.html

I've funded the new Knomo backpack on Kickstarter but decided against the Qi charging sleeve. That was before Qi was confirmed for the new iPhones however.
Looks real close! Just curious what kind of case can you put on your phone? I have pretty thin acrylic cases on my phones, but that looks like a pretty tailored fit.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The other thing to note is that you cannot operate your phone while on this type of charging pad. If you poke at your phone, it will tip and fall off. For future reference, I would highly recommend something like this charger. It's angled so that it's easier to read; plus, you can poke at your phone as much as you want while it charges.
This charger is currently $11 on Amazon. I have four of these. Perfect for when sitting at a desk.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Itia...dp/B01E1EIBKG/
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:52 pm

Another thing to note is that many wireless chargers do not come with a power adapter. You need to ensure that your power adapter outputs a minimum of 2A, preferably 2.4A.
+1 to everything said here.

I have a single coil 1st gen Qi charger and have stopped using it completely. There have been a few times where my phone doesn't charge or partially charges due to poor placement and that's caused me to miss an alart or something.

I haven't decided if I'm going to give Qi a 2nd go, it would be nice to get a "fast charger" version but no matter what Qi charging still isn't nearly as fast as a Quick Charge 4.0 charger.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: DL Kettle| HH Pot
I bought this for $18. Works fine for the office desk. I don't like the led for the night stand, I just plug in for now.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BHEIIR4/
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was thinking about this one as an Xmas present for Mr. Gfunk with his new iPhone X. I understand only the two models that Apple sells support the 7.5W charging, but if the phone is charging overnight then I don't think he'll care.

Is the LED bright on this one? He's oddly sensitive to lights on when he's trying to sleep.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Please consider getting a wireless charging stand rather than a pad.

Besides that, all my qi chargers (except the Itian above) have annoying LED lights. Some of them can literally light up the whole bedroom. Two layers of duct tape solves that problem.

Personally, I try to avoid using Quick Charge (both wired and wireless) as much as possible. A regular (slow) wireless charger will fully charge my Galaxy S7 in about 4.5 hours. That is fine with me since I tend to sleep more than 4.5 hours a night--and I also rarely go to bed with single-digit battery percentage left anyways.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please consider getting a wireless charging stand rather than a pad.

Besides that, all my qi chargers (except the Itian above) have annoying LED lights. Some of them can literally light up the whole bedroom. Two layers of duct tape solves that problem.

Personally, I try to avoid using Quick Charge (both wired and wireless) as much as possible. A regular (slow) wireless charger will fully charge my Galaxy S7 in about 4.5 hours. That is fine with me since I tend to sleep more than 4.5 hours a night--and I also rarely go to bed with single-digit battery percentage left anyways.
Why a stand? That seems more useful for a desk.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Any recs for a Qi charging capable battery pack?
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Why a stand? That seems more useful for a desk.
I use my phone as my alarm clock. With the phone on a stand on my nightstand, I don't have to crane my neck to see what time it is nor turning off the alarm.

Using a stand while sitting at a desk gives you a better angle to look at your phone. Plus, if you need to poke at it (like declining a phone call), there is significantly less risk of the phone tipping over (if it were sitting on a pad).
Old Dec 7, 2017, 9:38 pm

I don't like the stand chargers on my nightstand. I find it too easy to accidentally knock the phone off (and down to the floor) when I'm fumbling around for it in the dark. I use the lay down pad type on the nightstand, and the stand type for my desk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.