FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   My Macbook Air has an owie (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1590908-my-macbook-air-has-owie.html)

milepig Jul 2, 2014 12:49 pm

My Macbook Air has a Bruise

So mad at myself. I was getting my travel bag out of the car and the Mac slipped out of the back pouch, landing right on the pavement.

One front corner is bent - both top cover and bottom. Maybe 1/16 inch, but enough that the top won't quite close completely.

That, I can live with, but I'm worried I might have damaged something.

It works fine, and I ran a disk check for problems and the report was clean so I'm crossing my fingers. Are there actually any components right in the front corners that could have been damaged?

star_world Jul 2, 2014 1:02 pm

There's no hard disk in these, so no moving parts there to be affected by a drop. If it appears to be working, chances are it's fine. The biggest risk is usually the screen.

Here are some screenshots of the interior: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/24756

dalylink Jul 2, 2014 1:19 pm

An owie? @@

Dodge DeBoulet Jul 2, 2014 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by dalylink (Post 23132438)
An owie? @@

A boo-boo. But since it's an Apple, it's probably better categorized as a bruise :D

milepig Jul 2, 2014 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet (Post 23132472)
A boo-boo. But since it's an Apple, it's probably better categorized as a bruise :D

Bruise is perfect - and so changed in my subject header.

slawecki Jul 2, 2014 1:49 pm

look for one of these"MacBook Air 13" 2014 Upper case" on ebay. i think the proper technical term for the damage on your case is an ouchie.

milepig Jul 2, 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki (Post 23132591)
look for one of these"MacBook Air 13" 2014 Upper case" on ebay. i think the proper technical term for the damage on your case is an ouchie.

From the Urban Dictionary:

A word commonly used by small children or infants to describe a wound.

Mommy! I got an owie!

My Air is getting close to replacement age so think I'll just live with it for now. Still feel bad however, it was perfect, not even a scratch.

Non-NonRev Jul 2, 2014 2:10 pm

For this very reason, my Ultrabook (similar in size to MBA) is always double-protected - the ultrabok goes into a tight leather sleeve (protects cosmetically) which in turn goes inside a stronger fabric (lightly) padded sleeve. It all fits neatly in the padded laptop pocket of my Briggs and Riley backpack.

I'm sometimes aghast seeing how carelessly some people on airplanes treat their expensive machines

Need Jul 2, 2014 2:11 pm

Maybe a shell case for the macbook air could hide the dent? Anyway.. it is an owie.. or a boo boo. :p

Silver Fox Jul 2, 2014 2:54 pm

Carry some carpet around with you and whenever you are getting your bag out the car, place it on the ground beneath you where the laptop is likely to fall.

Internaut Jul 5, 2014 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by Silver Fox (Post 23133025)
Carry some carpet around with you and whenever you are getting your bag out the car, place it on the ground beneath you where the laptop is likely to fall.

Surely inspired by Viz Top Tips?

Silver Fox Jul 6, 2014 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Internaut (Post 23149010)
Surely inspired by Viz Top Tips?

Brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Thanks for the compliment ! :)

Lostabroad Jul 8, 2014 11:49 am

Originally Posted by milepig (Post 23132261)

It works fine, and I ran a disk check for problems and the report was clean so I'm crossing my fingers. Are there actually any components right in the front corners that could have been damaged?

Component placement depends on the size and year of your MBA, but generally the mother/daughter boards are placed closer to the hinge. If this was your lid where the impact occured, there isn't too much to worry about as long as your screen still works and wasn't shattered. If this was the base, then you might want to reference pictures from a teardown to see how close the dent comes to your battery array. Google "macbook air teardown" and pick your year and size. iFixit has a great series on the MBA line. Although highly unlikely, a dented battery could prove unstable.

shenxing Jul 19, 2014 8:14 am

Depending on how old your computer is, the warranty is now void. They have a tool at the Apple store to check for dents, which they use to deny coverage.