FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Popups are driving me nuts. How to get rid of them? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1590533-popups-driving-me-nuts-how-get-rid-them.html)

allset2travel Jul 1, 2014 10:33 am

Popups are driving me nuts. How to get rid of them?

I am on Windows 8.1. Browsers: Chrome, IE, FireFox.
Ever since I downloaded Megatube yesterday, I noticed many Ad popups infiltrated my computer. They are all over my screen. They seem to pop whenever I click on a link on the browser. For example, log on to FT. Irritating!:mad:

How do I get rid of them? TIA.

Need Jul 1, 2014 11:12 am

Have you virus scan your computer? My friend had the same problem. I scan her computer and it was full of trojan virus. And her browser home page was set to some page that LOOK like google but it was really something else. There were also browser add-on extensions installed that will pop up ads and show them as search results on any search engine.

Doc Savage Jul 1, 2014 11:17 am

Use FireFox with ....... or Chrome with ........

The suggestions by Need above are also worth considering. I'd get rid of Megatube, do a system restore to a point before that upload, and a full virus scan.

Good luck!

Doc

cblaisd Jul 1, 2014 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage (Post 23126057)
Use FireFox with ....... or Chrome with ........

...I'd get rid of Megatube, do a system restore to a point before that upload, and a full virus scan.

Concur on both counts.

After doing so, I'd also download and run (and thereafter once a week) MalwareBytes and CCleaner.

Need Jul 1, 2014 11:55 am

Agree with the AdBlockPlus. If I could only have 1 extension installed on Firefox, it would be AdBlockPlus with Easylist Filters.

allset2travel Jul 1, 2014 3:01 pm

Need, Doc Savage & cblaisd,
Thank you all for your suggestions.

First, I would like to do a "system restore", then add the suggested plugins.

I am somewhat new to Windows 8.1 and have never done a "system restore" on it before. Treat me like a noob (:o), please provide step-by-step instructions.

wharvey Jul 1, 2014 3:05 pm

Type "System Restore" in your Windows Search.

Then choose "Create a Restore Point".

When the System Properties box comes up, click on "System Restore".

pseudoswede Jul 1, 2014 3:56 pm

Anyone know how to suppress the pop-under that seatguru.com uses?

cblaisd Jul 1, 2014 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 23127412)

:confused:

That will only create a restore point for the current bollixed configuration.

You need to restore from a previously done restore point prior to installing the item that is causing the problem.

Type "System Restore" in the search box and then pick "Restore System Files and Settings from a Restore Point" and then pick a restore point prior to installing the offending item.

Doc Savage Jul 1, 2014 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by wharvey (Post 23127412)

NO!

He doesn't want to create a restore point, he needs to restore to a point in the past.

DenverBrian Jul 1, 2014 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede (Post 23127663)
Anyone know how to suppress the pop-under that seatguru.com uses?

In Firefox, use the Pop Up Addon for ....... Plus.

Configure http://www.seatguru.com/cheap-flights/minimal as a site to never allow popups, and I also chose the option to allow the site to appear momentarily so that the site thinks it worked.

Voila! No more popunder on SeatGuru.

DeafFlyer Jul 1, 2014 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 23127770)
:confused:

That will only create a restore point for the current bollixed configuration.

You need to restore from a previously done restore point prior to installing the item that is causing the problem.

Type "System Restore" in the search box and then pick "Restore System Files and Settings from a Restore Point" and then pick a restore point prior to installing the offending item.

What do they do if there isn't a restore point prior to installing the offending item?

Doc Savage Jul 1, 2014 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by DeafFlyer (Post 23128821)
What do they do if there isn't a restore point prior to installing the offending item?

Uninstall the bad actor, then do a vigorous virus, etc., decontamination.

There really should be a restore point, they should automatically save.

allset2travel Jul 2, 2014 9:53 am

Thanks to everyone for your help. ^

My system is now "restored" :)

shenxing Jul 19, 2014 8:23 am

Another couple of great add-ons to firefox are noscript and remove-it-permanently. The first lets you block javascript on websites, which is how a lot of interstitials and pop-overs are generated. The second lets you remove elements from websites (space-hogging banners/naggers, ads that ....... misses, fluff content, etc.)