Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

B&H Photo in NYC - What's new / fun tech should I check out in person while there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

B&H Photo in NYC - What's new / fun tech should I check out in person while there?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2014, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

B&H Photo's superstore in New York City has the largest inventory of serious tech and photography that you can actually look at in person that I've ever seen.

On next trip to the city in August I will probably make the time to stop in, though its hours of operation can make that a challenge..

I plan to lay hands on:

- Laptops / All in ones (Lenovo's latest A___ model all in one looked interesting)

Laptops are the priority since I'll be procuring 2 in the next 6 - 8 months.

- 3D printers

- Mirrorless cameras.
I enjoy photography but have never ventured beyond anything small-ish. Have always bought the Canon Digital Elph / Powershots. Current fave = the Canon SX 280hs because of the 20x zoom and auto- geo-coding of photos.

- Binoculars -to see if I can distinguish between expensive vs cheap

... all while those packages on conveyor belts swoosh above my head.

What else should I check out in person while there?
Old Jun 29, 2014, 11:25 pm

Location: Somewhere Over the Rainbow with a Seat in the Fully Reclined Position
Programs: UA Global Services, UA 2 MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Honors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I'd also check out the used gear department. All kinds of random interesting stuff is usually there at deep discounts.
Old Jul 1, 2014, 2:52 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Make sure you don't go on a Saturday. Made that mistake more than once.
(Why don't I ever remember this).
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I'd see if they have any of the Android Wear watches yet... the Moto 360 won't be available to purchase, but maybe they have a display. The LG G watch and Samsung Gear Live aren't showing up on their website, but I'd be surprised if they didn't have them around.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MareLuce
B&H Photo's superstore in New York City has the largest inventory of serious tech and photography that you can actually look at in person that I've ever seen.
Let me introduce you to Fry's Electronics. Messy stores, but a lot more geeky stuff than B&H in the lower price range.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ScottC
Let me introduce you to Fry's Electronics. Messy stores, but a lot more geeky stuff than B&H in the lower price range.
I would skew the two towards different niches... B&H is more geared to professional photography/videography while Frys tilts towards a Best Buy with the additoin of hobbyist electronics, RC, DIY computers, etc. They both share a middle-ground around your standard consumer electronics like Home Theater, Computers, and the like. Frys has home appliances and the like as well.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by bkafrick
Make sure you don't go on a Saturday. Made that mistake more than once.
And for Adorama don't go on Friday evenings in addition to Saturdays. They are on summer hours now so 5pm is when they close. During winter months they close at 2:30 pm!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I would skew the two towards different niches... B&H is more geared to professional photography/videography while Frys tilts towards a Best Buy with the additoin of hobbyist electronics, RC, DIY computers, etc. They both share a middle-ground around your standard consumer electronics like Home Theater, Computers, and the like. Frys has home appliances and the like as well.
And for playing with the display units, I actually prefer Best Buy over Fry's. Yeah Fry's is bigger, but most of the displays either missing (only price tag with nothing on the shelf), broken, or not powered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.