Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Amazon Fire Phone revealed

Amazon Fire Phone revealed

Old Jun 18, 14, 1:01 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: gggrrrovvveee (ORD)
Programs: UA silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,027
Amazon Fire Phone revealed

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/18/58...the-fire-phone

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ryanmac/...phone-seattle/

The phone features Gorilla Glass and has a 4.7-inch screen. There is a Quad-core 2.2 GHz Processor and 2GB of RAM. There is also a 13 megapixel camera and optical image stabilization.
Thoughts on how successful this will be?
gobluetwo is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:21 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Menlo Park, CA, USA
Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Posts: 6,518
Actually, looks better than I (or anyone for that matter) had expected. they just might have enough differentiators to make it a viable option. Reading all the things it does, and some things better than current offerings - they JUST MIGHT be able to get 1-2% of the market in a few years. That would be the threshold for success.
nmenaker is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:25 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Denver, CO
Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 16,631
The Verge's commentary is pretty funny.

(If Amazon's phone exclusively presents stuff from a cubist perspective, I will buy so many of them I can't even)
pseudoswede is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:49 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 125
I stopped reading when I saw it was only going to be on ATT.
gpf590 is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:53 pm
  #5  
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Athens, GA USA
Programs: Hilton Diamond
Posts: 18,712
OK ScottC, I assume you already have this phone... do tell us how you like it!
wharvey is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 3:15 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SMF
Programs: MR Platinum
Posts: 406
I am disappointed. Clearly Amazon is not sure it will be able to derive enough additional revenue from the phone to sell it at a more subsidized price. Something that they are arguably doing with the Fire tablets. Throwing Prime in for a year is a gimmick to make the phone seem less expensive.

Google Nexus phones are still my benchmark for good hardware at a reasonable price. Sadly with Android Silver maybe that's going away too. I am now pretty comfortable the Fire smartphone will not devalue my collection of Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 phones (starting a side hobby activity of buying broken Nexus 4 and 5's and fixing them up for resale at a profit). Fire smartphone not having SD card slot or removable battery also helps with this.

The four cameras for 3D perspective is innovative, but doesn't add that much to the cost. I also think the feature is going to be common soon - as in there are other products being developed with this feature, not as someone copying Amazon starting today. I do like the tilting feature showing additional information. Of course, we will need Google apps catch up with this new hardware feature to take full advantage of it. This certainly looks to be an easier phone to use one-handed - valuable feature as I have a baby and a toddler

At $649 without contract, I think it costs too much and will likely pass. There is no way I am signing an AT&T contract. I use literally 10 minutes of airtime a month and a fair amount of data (and Google Voice for texts), and feel being forced to pay for unlimited talk/text just to buy data is unfair.

Last edited by AnalogMan; Jun 18, 14 at 3:15 pm Reason: fixed one spelling error
AnalogMan is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 3:31 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 37,486
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
OK ScottC, I assume you already have this phone... do tell us how you like it!
Nope, and not interested in it at all. Very disappointing.
ScottC is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 3:51 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: 60137
Posts: 10,368
Does TMO still pay ETF?
sonofzeus is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 4:18 pm
  #9  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Programs: Delta, United
Posts: 622
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
I am disappointed. Clearly Amazon is not sure it will be able to derive enough additional revenue from the phone to sell it at a more subsidized price. Something that they are arguably doing with the Fire tablets. Throwing Prime in for a year is a gimmick to make the phone seem less expensive.

Google Nexus phones are still my benchmark for good hardware at a reasonable price. Sadly with Android Silver maybe that's going away too. I am now pretty comfortable the Fire smartphone will not devalue my collection of Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 phones (starting a side hobby activity of buying broken Nexus 4 and 5's and fixing them up for resale at a profit). Fire smartphone not having SD card slot or removable battery also helps with this.

The four cameras for 3D perspective is innovative, but doesn't add that much to the cost. I also think the feature is going to be common soon - as in there are other products being developed with this feature, not as someone copying Amazon starting today. I do like the tilting feature showing additional information. Of course, we will need Google apps catch up with this new hardware feature to take full advantage of it. This certainly looks to be an easier phone to use one-handed - valuable feature as I have a baby and a toddler

At $649 without contract, I think it costs too much and will likely pass. There is no way I am signing an AT&T contract. I use literally 10 minutes of airtime a month and a fair amount of data (and Google Voice for texts), and feel being forced to pay for unlimited talk/text just to buy data is unfair.
Thats iPhone range

My question is, can it run Android apps? If not its kinda pointless and confining.
thetravelingRedhead is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 5:05 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: BOS/MAN
Programs: BAEC Gold
Posts: 168
Agree with the others...rubbish specs for that price. Plus likely only amazon marketplace. All points to a fail for me.
ObscuredByClouds is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 5:46 pm
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: AUS / GRK
Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Posts: 11,233
Originally Posted by gpf590 View Post
I stopped reading when I saw it was only going to be on ATT.
Wasn't AT&T the sole provider for iPhones (in the United States) for the first few years?
aztimm is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 5:49 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 170
Originally Posted by gpf590 View Post
I stopped reading when I saw it was only going to be on ATT.
I've been pretty happy with AT&T over the years.

The new family plans just cut our bill from $180 to $130.

The Fire looks nice, but I'm set on getting the "waterproof" Galaxy S5 to upgrade my S3.

I already lost an S2 to water damage from jumping in to a pool. The S5 could prevent that kind of problem.
Paul79UF is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 6:47 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SMF
Programs: MR Platinum
Posts: 406
Amazon Fire Phone revealed

Based on history of Kindle Fire tablet AT&T made sense, disappointed there isn't a special kind of data plan offered as rumored.

should be able to sideload Android apps onto Fire OS, again based on Fire tablet experience.

Water resistance is becoming more common and I hope it becomes commonplace. I see tons of water damaged or cracked display smartphones at the big online auction site.
AnalogMan is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 8:40 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: in the vicinity of SFO
Programs: AA PLT 1MM
Posts: 18,673
Yawn.

Finally actual fragmentation of Android in the US (the AOSP-only phones in China already did it, but those haven't made it over here in any numbers worth noticing) ... priced to not move off-contract... perfectly good specs, maybe a bit last-generation but nothing terribly interesting to the hardware except maybe a slightly better camera.

If they priced this to compete with the Nexus 5/Moto X, I'd be a lot more interested. Compared to the S5, iPhone, HTC One or other phones priced comparably, I'd think you'd really need to want Amazon's ecosystem to buy one of these.

Personally, that's a great reason to NOT buy it.
nkedel is offline  
Old Jun 18, 14, 9:14 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco/Sydney
Programs: UA 1K/MM, TK Elite, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis First
Posts: 7,049
The "dynamic perspective" (video of it here) looks very cool, but I'm not sure what the point is other than.. well.. looking cool.

Many of the other features are things that are available as apps anyway.

For those that are already paying for prime it's basically $100 (+tax) which isn't a bad price, but not a lot different to the competition...
docbert is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: