FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Great US Hotspot Deal from Wind Mobile (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1582186-great-us-hotspot-deal-wind-mobile.html)

Dubai Stu Jun 2, 2014 5:36 pm

Great US Hotspot Deal from Wind Mobile

I just signed signed up for a hotspot from WindMobile for CA$35 a month plus $15 a month (add-on) for 10 gigs of high speed US internet and unlimited 2g speed. As a part bonus, you get coverage in a major Canadian cities included including Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, etc.

Given how the dearth of rural coverage, I'm not sure that a Canadian would find it acceptable, but it is a great deal for an American who visits Canada.

YYZC2 Jun 2, 2014 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 22967531)
...the dearth of rural coverage...

Dearth? More like "total absence".

I am a Canadian who travels to the US a lot, and at first blush this seemed like the deal of a lifetime.

Then you look at the coverage maps. Then, if you still like what you see, you experience the data speeds.

Then you grudgingly go back to the Big 3. :mad::mad::mad:

tentseller Jun 3, 2014 5:02 am

I use the Wind $39 unlimited US/Canada plan to supplement my BellMo service.

Even in Toronto, Wind service at certain pockets are iffy. The US service is OK. You get what you pay for.

Marschel Jun 3, 2014 6:30 am

I wouldn't use that offer because Wind even doesn't offer LTE. :eek:

Error 601 Jun 4, 2014 2:43 am

Wind will be able to offer "LTE like" speed in the fairly near future, hardware is being hanged on towers as we speak.

RoadWarriorChi Jun 4, 2014 4:44 am

Not sure what their coverage is like in CA, but AMEX Platinum card members are offered free Boingo WiFi service (applies to landlines only - not in-flight)

http://about.americanexpress.com/new...inum-card.aspx

Dubai Stu Jun 4, 2014 5:23 am

What does that get me? How much Canadian wifi is pay anymore? McDonalds is free Chapters/Indigo is free if you join their Plum Rewards card (Yanks welcome), Starbucks is free, Tim Horton's free, Canadian airports now seem to be free, Via Railway stations are free. Then again, that may be better coverage of most Canadian cities than Wind currently offers:)

Wind would be smart to adopt UMA ala TMobile as a stop gap measure.

I find Boingo's coverage maps deceptive because they list free coverage areas which often include places like universities where it is free for students and official university guests who go to room 845 of the Student Union between the hours of 9:45am and 11:15am on Tuesdays and Thursdays with a form 93G1-B (rev. 2013) completed in triplicate.

Marschel Jun 4, 2014 6:02 am

Uuuu Wifi hoping... ^:rolleyes:

Boogie711 Jun 4, 2014 7:39 am

Originally Posted by YYZC2 (Post 22967886)
Dearth? More like "total absence".

I am a Canadian who travels to the US a lot, and at first blush this seemed like the deal of a lifetime.

Then you look at the coverage maps. Then, if you still like what you see, you experience the data speeds.

Then you grudgingly go back to the Big 3. :mad::mad::mad:

I SO hear you. I got excited when I saw the Wind promos. My wife's contract is up with Rogers, and mine will expire in a year - close enough that I'd happily pay the penalties.

Then I saw the coverage maps, read the reviews... and I'm still with Rogers while I figure out what to do. Ugh.

tentseller Jun 4, 2014 8:58 am

I use Bell as my main phone and WIND for Long distance Cdn/US and data when available.
I am off grid and having unlimited outgoing calls Canada and US wide is a saving from what I was paying BellMo. The data is not as fast as Bell 4G LTE but it is sufficient for me.

It is OK if you are frequently at locations with confirmed service. My condo on Yonge is good but not on the lower floors or the northwest side.

Dubai Stu Jun 4, 2014 4:36 pm

What does Wind charge for call forwarding (conditional) on this unlimited plan? I'm thinking a good dual SIM phone with somebody else in slot 2 and a call forward if unreachable (*62) command inputed. A good roaming SIM like Pirahna could act as backup coverage.

I wish there was a Canadian equivalent of TMobile's $3 a day plan!

tentseller Jun 4, 2014 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Dubai Stu (Post 22979438)
What does Wind charge for call forwarding (conditional) on this unlimited plan? I'm thinking a good dual SIM phone with somebody else in slot 2 and a call forward if unreachable (*62) command inputed. A good roaming SIM like Pirahna could act as backup coverage.

I wish there was a Canadian equivalent of TMobile's $3 a day plan!

I haven't used call fwd on my $39 plan. DW has the $40 Canada wide from when Wind started when DD was at Western, and call forwarding is included. Not sure about conditional. All my Wind incoming calls are fwd to my BellMo main number when I am in Bell's Toronto calling area. My plan for Wind account is outgoing, data in US and roaming

You idea sounds interesting, however I have not bought any dual SIM phones in Asia yet due to uncertainty of 17/2100 Wind support.

BTW who is the carrier for Wind in US? Got my $39 plan last wk. I have not used Wind roaming in US yet. I still have my $3/day T-Mob PYAG.

Dubai Stu Jun 4, 2014 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 22979738)
I haven't used call fwd on my $39 plan. DW has the $40 Canada wide from when Wind started when DD was at Western, and call forwarding is included. Not sure about conditional. All my Wind incoming calls are fwd to my BellMo main number when I am in Bell's Toronto calling area. My plan for Wind account is outgoing, data in US and roaming

You idea sounds interesting, however I have not bought any dual SIM phones in Asia yet due to uncertainty of 17/2100 Wind support.

BTW who is the carrier for Wind in US? Got my $39 plan last wk. I have not used Wind roaming in US yet. I still have my $3/day T-Mob PYAG.

I am getting TMobile, but the store lady said it also roams on ATT. I will be an ATT only area next week.

tentseller Jun 4, 2014 6:29 pm

Heading across the river (Niagara) Sunday afternoon. Will let you know my Wind in US experience at the Falls and Buffalo.

Dubai Stu Jun 4, 2014 8:13 pm

I just tried to force it on to ATT 3g and it failed.