Wiki Posts
Search

Saving old answering machine voice mail

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2014, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Saving old answering machine voice mail

I have an interesting issue I am looking for some suggestions on. Several years ago, a very good friend called my then-home phone and left a voice mail on answering machine (back when I still had a landline). It is one of those answering machines that records the messages on, I assume, some type of flash memory. It does not use the old school cassette tapes. Here is what I need your advice/suggestions for: If I want to save the voice mail, are my only 2 options to either save the answering machine or use a software app to capture the message?

The voice mail has sentimental value to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone? Just use the voice recorder app, hold it next to the answering machine while you play the message, and save / email yourself the file.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Use the ANALOG method, play the msg and record it.
Old May 29, 2014, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Or on a laptop use the built-in microphone & use Audacity to capture/edit the audio as MP3s.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

For others with cassette tapes I just archived tons of answering machine tapes with one of these & Audacity to cut & paste only the messages I wanted to save. It was pretty easy because on the visual display the end of message beeps would stand out like a sore thumb

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OIB76O
Old May 29, 2014, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tentseller
Use the ANALOG method, play the msg and record it.
What do you mean by the ANALOG method? Just putting my cell phone and record the message as it plays? That is what I am leaning towards. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing another option.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
What do you mean by the ANALOG method? Just putting my cell phone and record the message as it plays? That is what I am leaning towards. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing another option.
That was a case of witty use of the word ANALOG.

no doubt if the message is a file on a chip in the machine you might be able DIGITALLY retrieve the file

BTW I had one of my mentor left me a message with some guidance before he passed on. I had to play it on my phone and record it into a mp3 file via the mic to computer method. I still have the mp3 and play it on a as needed basis.
Old May 29, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully my cell phone app works well.

I think I made a few mixed tapes by playing a cassette tape on one player and recording it on another player. Talk about old school.
Old May 30, 2014, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
The simplest method is often the best one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.