Reload this Page >

Iridium GO....thoughts?

Iridium GO....thoughts?

Old Apr 21, 14, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
Iridium GO....thoughts?

This from a web page...

Satellite communications company Iridium today announced Iridium GO!, a portable hotspot that runs from the heavens down to your Android or iOS smartphone. While larger than your traditional Wifi hotspot, GO! is just 4.5 by 3.25 b 1.25 inches and weighs 10.4 ounces. You can mount it externally remember that it'll need line-of-sight to the satellites but it's not meant to be a permanent outdoor solution.

Voice and data are routed through the Iridium GO! app. You'll get about 4 hours' talk time, the company says. It's not a dumb data pipe again, things have to be routed through the app

I'm thinking of getting either this or a dedicated satellite phone for my emergency kit. Just not sure which one would be more useful.

Thoughts?
Old Apr 22, 14, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Things to know; this is very, very, very slow. It'll be ok for very short messages, but anything else just won't work. If you want something just for emergencies, just get the DeLorme InReach:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Also works on Iridium, and also has an app. Plus, you can go month to month with them, and it has better emergency use than the Iridium Go.

That said; coverage is always an issue here. It needs absolutely clear skies to work. Event trees will block the signal. Forget about it ever working indoors.
Old Apr 22, 14, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ScottC View Post
Things to know; this is very, very, very slow. It'll be ok for very short messages, but anything else just won't work. If you want something just for emergencies, just get the DeLorme InReach:

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/

Also works on Iridium, and also has an app. Plus, you can go month to month with them, and it has better emergency use than the Iridium Go.

That said; coverage is always an issue here. It needs absolutely clear skies to work. Event trees will block the signal. Forget about it ever working indoors.
Thanks Scott.

I guess the best solution for me would be to just purchase a Iridium extreme handset. That way from a telecommunication point of view it will be guaranteed to work. I can call quickly without the need to set up a wifi connection with my smartphone, etc.
Old Apr 22, 14, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FastSRT8 View Post
Thanks Scott.

I guess the best solution for me would be to just purchase a Iridium extreme handset. That way from a telecommunication point of view it will be guaranteed to work. I can call quickly without the need to set up a wifi connection with my smartphone, etc.
I would actually recommend the Inmarsat iSatPhone2 - better coverage, better voice quality and better battery life. Plus, the phone itself is the newest generation handset with some pretty neat features, including things like social media checkins.

http://www.inmarsat.com/isatphone/

You can compare handsets and services here:

http://www.inmarsat.com/wp-content/u...Comparison.pdf

50 minutes runs about $65.
Old Apr 22, 14, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

I would actually recommend the Inmarsat iSatPhone2 - better coverage, better voice quality and better battery life. Plus, the phone itself is the newest generation handset with some pretty neat features, including things like social media checkins.

http://www.inmarsat.com/isatphone/

You can compare handsets and services here:

http://www.inmarsat.com/wp-content/u...Comparison.pdf

50 minutes runs about $65.
Thanks again for the tip.

But what about Iridium's claim of global coverage? My main home is in Canada so I will have to check in to see if they offer coverage in my area.

Also, is there any truth to Immarsat's slow connection to the satellites?
Old Apr 22, 14, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks again for the tip.

But what about Iridium's claim of global coverage? My main home is in Canada so I will have to check in to see if they offer coverage in my area.

Also, is there any truth to Immarsat's slow connection to the satellites?
It takes about 30-60 seconds for the iSatPhone to connect to the satellite. On Iridium it is definitely a bit quicker, but in my experience, once connected, the Inmarsat devices have a more stable connection. I'm not an expert, but with Iridium, the device is always looking for the closest satellite, on Inmarsat there are only 3 up there, so it seems like once a connection is established, it is more reliable.

If I were you, I'd start with that DeLorme at $300 and try it out for a month. If you go through Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't work right.
Old Apr 22, 14, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

It takes about 30-60 seconds for the iSatPhone to connect to the satellite. On Iridium it is definitely a bit quicker, but in my experience, once connected, the Inmarsat devices have a more stable connection. I'm not an expert, but with Iridium, the device is always looking for the closest satellite, on Inmarsat there are only 3 up there, so it seems like once a connection is established, it is more reliable.

If I were you, I'd start with that DeLorme at $300 and try it out for a month. If you go through Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't work right.
Thanks for the tip.

I just looked up the delorme. It looks pretty neat and has a bunch of good fears with exception of voice calling.

I will do more research on that device.

IF people can text me back at minimal cost, that sure makes it attractive.
Old Apr 23, 14, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the tip.

I just looked up the delorme. It looks pretty neat and has a bunch of good fears with exception of voice calling.

I will do more research on that device.

IF people can text me back at minimal cost, that sure makes it attractive.
When I text someone in the, the text comes from an Iridium number, which does make it less attractive.
Old Apr 23, 14, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

When I text someone in the, the text comes from an Iridium number, which does make it less attractive.
Also found out the time it takes to receive a text back can take up to 30 mins!

Thats a bit long no?

What are your personal experience with this?

Doing resesarch on Inmarsat's new phone. It looks really nice and may be a bit more 'useful' given it can call and do all the other things too. Just a bit unsure of the coverage and time it takes to connect. Maybe it's iridium marketting about the 66 satellites they have versus the 3or4 Inmarsat has.

Does the fact inmarsat satellites fly over the equator really make a difference? When deep in say the grand canyon? OR is it all perceived hype? I know the inmarsat phone will be 'useless' in the north and south poles but the chances of me going there are next to zero.
Old Apr 23, 14, 2:49 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
I am severely skeptical about the even mid-term viability of all the present satellite phone platforms. Much of this spectrum will be refarmed for terrestrial LTE use, it's inevitable.

Dish Network is going to use the TerreStar spectrum for terrestrial broadband.
Old Apr 23, 14, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post
I am severely skeptical about the even mid-term viability of all the present satellite phone platforms. Much of this spectrum will be refarmed for terrestrial LTE use, it's inevitable.

Wait... in layman terms, are you saying satellite phone service will be phased out?!
Old Apr 23, 14, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Error 601 View Post

Completely not true. So many services rely on the satellites that are used here that it is so far from "inevitable" that they will go away. The only determining factor that will make a network "go away" is financial (see TerreStar, a network that never made any financial sense). There is no room for more than 2 or maybe 3 networks.

The Inmarsat satellites used for the iSatPhone are amazingly important to aviation, maritime and defense that they are around for good. The Iridium network powers 1000's of private jet phone services, defense and more. They ain't going anywhere. Both networks are profitable, and for someone to come along and take those frequencies away for LTE makes no sense at all, there are plenty of other spots spectrum can be found for this.
Old Apr 23, 14, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also found out the time it takes to receive a text back can take up to 30 mins!

Thats a bit long no?

What are your personal experience with this?

Doing resesarch on Inmarsat's new phone. It looks really nice and may be a bit more 'useful' given it can call and do all the other things too. Just a bit unsure of the coverage and time it takes to connect. Maybe it's iridium marketting about the 66 satellites they have versus the 3or4 Inmarsat has.

Does the fact inmarsat satellites fly over the equator really make a difference? When deep in say the grand canyon? OR is it all perceived hype? I know the inmarsat phone will be 'useless' in the north and south poles but the chances of me going there are next to zero.
The DeLorme has a manual "check" option, otherwise it only checks on a set schedule to lower battery use and bandwidth. The satellites Inmarsat uses are used by most cruise ships, defense and aviation - they are rock solid. The iridium satellites are much closer to earth, hence the smaller antenna on the DeLorme. More is not always better though...
Old Apr 23, 14, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

The DeLorme has a manual "check" option, otherwise it only checks on a set schedule to lower battery use and bandwidth. The satellites Inmarsat uses are used by most cruise ships, defense and aviation - they are rock solid. The iridium satellites are much closer to earth, hence the smaller antenna on the DeLorme. More is not always better though...
Thanks Scott.

That is good to know as I am really liking how the new Inmarsat phone looks! LOL I know its not about looks but rather performance but I have to give them +1 on handset design.

The Iridium extreme is an older handset though so its understandable it doesn't look as sexy as the newer Imarsat.

With respect to overall operational cost (especailly as a emergency phone), I think Imarsat wins purely on dollars and cents. The counter arguement would be... if you can't get a connection then its useless. I'm just concerned about use in Canada. I'm not close to the poles but it would be be nice to know that IF I did go to the Yukon, the phone will work.
Old Apr 23, 14, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Scott.

That is good to know as I am really liking how the new Inmarsat phone looks! LOL I know its not about looks but rather performance but I have to give them +1 on handset design.

The Iridium extreme is an older handset though so its understandable it doesn't look as sexy as the newer Imarsat.

With respect to overall operational cost (especailly as a emergency phone), I think Imarsat wins purely on dollars and cents. The counter arguement would be... if you can't get a connection then its useless. I'm just concerned about use in Canada. I'm not close to the poles but it would be be nice to know that IF I did go to the Yukon, the phone will work.
Some real world experiences here:

http://www.snowandmud.com/spot-satel...e-38580-2.html

Looks like Yukon won't be an issue.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: