Wiki Posts
Search

Video Editing -- remove x seconds from the head of an .mpg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Video Editing -- remove x seconds from the head of an .mpg

My wife has a bunch of VCDs that I'm trying to pack up into DVDs so there aren't as many disk changes while watching them.

While I'm in the process of doing it I would like to knock out some junk (there's no point in a copy of the credits on every episode) and include only the actual episodes. That translates to knocking a chunk off the front of the file (and perhaps the end, I haven't looked yet) that's the same on every episode. In every case the screen goes black at the point I want to cut it.

Ideally it would be cut without re-encoding the rest of the file.

Any suggestions as to an easy way to do this?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
My wife has a bunch of VCDs that I'm trying to pack up into DVDs so there aren't as many disk changes while watching them.

While I'm in the process of doing it I would like to knock out some junk (there's no point in a copy of the credits on every episode) and include only the actual episodes. That translates to knocking a chunk off the front of the file (and perhaps the end, I haven't looked yet) that's the same on every episode. In every case the screen goes black at the point I want to cut it.

Ideally it would be cut without re-encoding the rest of the file.

Any suggestions as to an easy way to do this?
the fastest way to do this is truncate but not re-encode. Check out mpeg2cut. Also the venerable ffmpeg can handle this on its own but it would be command line. To make sure it does not reencode use the copy attribute. I can't tell you the exact command but if you google for "ffmpeg split MPEG no reencode" you should find it.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arjunrc
the fastest way to do this is truncate but not re-encode. Check out mpeg2cut. Also the venerable ffmpeg can handle this on its own but it would be command line. To make sure it does not reencode use the copy attribute. I can't tell you the exact command but if you google for "ffmpeg split MPEG no reencode" you should find it.
Thank you--that sounds like exactly what I was looking for.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And now I've hit another problem:

I have a VCD that plays fine in a DVD player but is just read error city on the computer--I assume this is some sort of copy protect garbage. I'm not trying to pirate, I'm trying to change the media type. While I'm aware of tools that will *COPY* such a disk my objective is to rip it. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 20, 2014, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
And now I've hit another problem:

I have a VCD that plays fine in a DVD player but is just read error city on the computer--I assume this is some sort of copy protect garbage. I'm not trying to pirate, I'm trying to change the media type. While I'm aware of tools that will *COPY* such a disk my objective is to rip it. Any suggestions?
VCDs are just files, no copy protection involved in the version of the spec I'm familiar with. (And, as far as big media companies are concerned, ripping/format conversion IS piracy; whether that holds up in court is another matter.)

Set-top players are much more tolerant of media errors (from say, scratches or an old disk starting to de-laminate or warp) than IDE/SATA readers you'll find in computers. There are ways to program the drive not to respond with as many retries on read problems, or even to skip an increasing number of sectors on retries.

imgburn has some of that functionality and is free and is a good first place to start; Nero has some kind of recover utility as part of their commercial package.

On Linux, there's ddrescue: http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/

There are also a whole bunch of dedicated CD-recovery tools; I haven't used any of them, but a quick google has several sites suggesting this one:
http://download.cnet.com/CD-Recovery...-10646814.html
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nkedel
VCDs are just files, no copy protection involved in the version of the spec I'm familiar with. (And, as far as big media companies are concerned, ripping/format conversion IS piracy; whether that holds up in court is another matter.)

Set-top players are much more tolerant of media errors (from say, scratches or an old disk starting to de-laminate or warp) than IDE/SATA readers you'll find in computers. There are ways to program the drive not to respond with as many retries on read problems, or even to skip an increasing number of sectors on retries.

imgburn has some of that functionality and is free and is a good first place to start; Nero has some kind of recover utility as part of their commercial package.

On Linux, there's ddrescue: http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/

There are also a whole bunch of dedicated CD-recovery tools; I haven't used any of them, but a quick google has several sites suggesting this one:
http://download.cnet.com/CD-Recovery...-10646814.html
I'm not saying DVD-type encryption, I'm saying deliberate "errors" that the players simply ignore but the computer complains about.

While you can turn down the retry count I'm not aware of any program not meant to defeat copy protection that will read the contents of the sector even when it shows as an error. Retry 0, ignore the errors I very much doubt would produce a useable result as the "bad" sectors would contain zeros.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
I'm not saying DVD-type encryption, I'm saying deliberate "errors" that the players simply ignore but the computer complains about.

While you can turn down the retry count I'm not aware of any program not meant to defeat copy protection that will read the contents of the sector even when it shows as an error. Retry 0, ignore the errors I very much doubt would produce a useable result as the "bad" sectors would contain zeros.
Mpeg(1 or 2; VCDs can be either depending on the age) video streams can recover from bad blocks.

I really doubt that any bad blocks are intentional, or that they're actually readable to the player -- the player just has software written to frameskip so as not to show the error. One bad block is about 2k (or exactly 2k, depending on the mode the disk is written in) and a single bad block will usually fall entirely within one frame although in the worst case will destroy two on a standard-bitrate, standard-quality VCD.

Last edited by nkedel; Apr 20, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.