Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Best DSL modem for CenturyLink

Old Mar 14, 14, 3:07 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

I continue to get to do tech support for relatives

I have set up a DSL connection for them. For the moment, I simply rented the one (combo modem/wifi router) that CenturyLink had: Zyxel PK5001Z

While I have a Linksys router (on which I've put DD-WRT) that I could connect them to, I'm looking to keep this simple.... Currently I have simply set them up using the Zyxel's native wifi router. It seems to work well for the small footprint of the 2 bedroom apartment that needs to be covered.

I don't know that I want them to have to continue renting the modem, though, so am interested in recommendations for a combo modem/wifi router that is stable and provides strong signal.

Again, TIA
Old Mar 14, 14, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Unfortunately, the best one made is no longer available from CTL: Actiontec Q1000. It was the last "advanced" DSL modem offered by Qwest pre-merger.

You should be able to find it on eBay.
Old Mar 14, 14, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
The c1000a from Best Buy for about $100. It handles Vdsl as well as Adsl. Speed up to 20mbps depending of the offering in the area. I moved from the q100 to this and things got much better. The c1000a carries a centurylink label so support is not an issue.

Fwiw, i use the modem in santa fe, nm.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM
Old Apr 11, 14, 5:50 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Well....

I was able to pick up a Q1000 for very cheap. I figured I could resell it if need be.

Which it turns out, I need to.

It turns out it will not work on the CenturyLink DSL.

Any of the "Level 3 support" modems/routers on here (besides the c1000A, which I will look into) http://internethelp.centurylink.com/...table-ctl.html ones that folks would particularly recommend for strong signals?

(When I was testing Q1000 its signal was MUCH stronger in the farthest reaches of the house than the rented Zyxel PK5001Z. Which brings up a side-topic: I can only assume that routers with external antennas are going to be more solid performers than those without. Why have so many manufacturers seemingly dispensed with external antennas?).

Some have suggested to me that I should simply continue to rent that modem since all the risk is with CenturyLink in the case of something going south. That is somewhat compelling, but, still renting something whose cost after 4-5 months is the same as buying chaps me a little...
Old Apr 12, 14, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum
Very strange. It works fine on my CTL DSL connection. I paid for 40mbps, but I'm getting 50-55mbps right now.
Old Apr 12, 14, 1:24 am

Programs: Don't you know who I am????
I know it adds a small bit of complexity, but have you considered recommending a dedicated DSL modem (without WiFi) that works with the particular flavor of DSL offered there, then purchasing the best router for the environment? Other than possibly a bonded connection, DSL isn't likely to change anytime soon, so they could easily swap in a router with newer technology in a year or two when prices on C devices have dropped and clients are more common.

Cheers
Old Apr 12, 14, 4:58 pm

It was easier for me to keep the old, reliable Zyxel DSL modem unchanged and replace my old wired router with a new wireless one.

By "easier" I mean it only took me a week.
Old Apr 13, 14, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Life PLT, Amex Cent, WN A, WN CP, UA Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond
It is best not to put a router behind a router. A better approach is to turn wifi off on the dsl router and add an access point for wifi. Many routers have the ability to be access points so check before starting.

Since you want level 3 support, I do not think you have a choice other than the c1000a. Assuming that the q1000 was good, the only reason it did not work would be the area running vdsl. If you need, vdsl and level 3, it is easiest to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

I had some issues a while after installing and the tech blamed the modem. Since the modem had the centurylink label and was under warranty, he replaced it with a new unit and then found that there were line issues on their end. If the modem had been anything but theirs, the call would have stopped at the modem with finger pointing to follow.

Last edited by AFAM-DFW; Apr 13, 14 at 11:01 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: