Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Hyperacusis
So it looks like Vietnam is now included in the list of international countries under "Passport" but not "International Day Pass".

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/in...untries.html#v

Wonder what this means for our unlimited plans? Is Vietnam now included (again)?

VERY good to hear, hmm I'm going to try and find out about the unlimited plans for a trip coming up in October.. would save me having to buy a sim and do that whole dance.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Post what you find out? I have a Vietnam trip scheduled next month so would be good to know.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Post what you find out? I have a Vietnam trip scheduled next month so would be good to know.

I'm guessing Vietnam got greedy in its roaming negotiations and discovered that it lost more money than it anticipated. Hopefully things will turn around.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:32 am

well, calling "my guy" at AT&T he said that yes the legacy int'l data plan would now cover Vietnam, but he noted that it might possibly be only 3G and not 4G LTE. really not sure how/why that would be some carve out with local networks, but it's possible.

i'm still skeptical and i'm going to try my other guy at legacy premier.FAN support and see what they say. trip not till october.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by nmenaker
well, calling "my guy" at AT&T he said that yes the legacy int'l data plan would now cover Vietnam, but he noted that it might possibly be only 3G and not 4G LTE. really not sure how/why that would be some carve out with local networks, but it's possible.

i'm still skeptical and i'm going to try my other guy at legacy premier.FAN support and see what they say. trip not till october.
Very interesting. Would be curious to hear what the 'other guy' has to say. Don't really care if it's 3G and not LTE, as long as I don't have to deal with picking up yet another local SIM.

My trip is next week so if your other guy has any further insight, it would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to report back on my own experience.
Old Sep 10, 2017, 1:11 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Hey gang-

I'm a long time grandfathered ATT World Unlimited for iPhone subscriber. I only today noticed what may (or may not) have been a subtle change in the plan billing.

For years, the plan appeared on my ATT statement as "Unlimited Domestic, Intl for iPhone on 4G LTE. With VVM. $64.99" In fact, that is how it appeared though my April 2017 statement (period 3/29/17 - 4/28/17).

Since then, it appears as "Data Unlimited Domestic & Intl RZ for iPhone 5 w/Visual VM. $64.99"

What concerns me is that, for the first time, it specifies an iPhone model. I plan to retire my venerable iPhone 5S when the iPhone 8 rolls out this fall. Might this change be intended to prevent migrating the grandfathered unlimited Int'l plans to newer model iPhones?

Has anyone here migrated this plan to a newer iPhone since ATT switched to this named-model billing?

Thanks gang!

Kupe
Old Sep 11, 2017, 2:43 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Interesting catch. I just logged in and mine has the exact same naming convention...only I have an iPhone 6...

Edited to add:

Looks like the feature code changed when the naming convention changed. I was on feature code IDGB through May 20, then the following month it changed to IRPZJR. No idea what this foretells...May was the month when they made some changes to the plans, so maybe the new rate code was the way they did that?

Last edited by gwade; Sep 11, 2017 at 2:52 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:58 pm

My trip is next week so if your other guy has any further insight, it would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to report back on my own experience.
Did you ever make the trip and what was your experience with the legacy data plan and Vietnam or Laos?

I called back a week or so and was ASURRED that it would work and be under the plan.. but I've learned to be skeptical.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:32 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Originally Posted by kupe
Hey gang-

I'm a long time grandfathered ATT World Unlimited for iPhone subscriber. I only today noticed what may (or may not) have been a subtle change in the plan billing.

For years, the plan appeared on my ATT statement as "Unlimited Domestic, Intl for iPhone on 4G LTE. With VVM. $64.99" In fact, that is how it appeared though my April 2017 statement (period 3/29/17 - 4/28/17).

Since then, it appears as "Data Unlimited Domestic & Intl RZ for iPhone 5 w/Visual VM. $64.99"

What concerns me is that, for the first time, it specifies an iPhone model. I plan to retire my venerable iPhone 5S when the iPhone 8 rolls out this fall. Might this change be intended to prevent migrating the grandfathered unlimited Int'l plans to newer model iPhones?

Has anyone here migrated this plan to a newer iPhone since ATT switched to this named-model billing?

Thanks gang!

Kupe
It's been showing at the iPhone 5 for like the last couple years for me. I have iPhone 7 now, never had a problem. Only two billing cycles ago it got removed off my plan and I wasn't being billed for it, but everything still worked. But his billing cycle I got it fixed, it changed to iPhone 5 or higher (specifically "Unlimited Domestic & International Data for iPhone 5 or higher")
Old May 8, 2018, 12:26 pm

Does anyone have a link or list of what countries are covered by this plan, so one can compare it to the passport and day pass plan?
Old May 16, 2018, 7:59 am

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
They sent a notice out a while ago that said the plan adheres to all the countries covered by AT&T Passport. So it is all the countries on the passport plan (which covers all the countries on the day pass plan).
Old May 16, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I really wish they brought back an unlimited/unthrottled plan like this. I'd be all over it.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 3:43 pm

Location: Cupertino, CA - AA:PLT 2MM; Marriott:Plt; Hilton:Slv
Raising an old thread. Has anyone recently (in say the last year) upgraded their iPhone and kept their plan? I did in 2014 and it was a hassle with multiple calls to customer care to "keep my plan" (and one person lying to me saying it could not be done). I'm going to upgrade to a new phone in October and would like to hear recent experiences.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I went through the online menus to "upgrade" last night and I wasn't even given a choice of plans to pick from...just "add to cart" and "order". Years ago, you had to select a plan and the Grandfather Plan wasn't a choice, forcing you to speak to customer care.

Any experiences?

FYI - I still maintain the Unlimited International Plan at $65 per month.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by gwade
Raising an old thread. Has anyone recently (in say the last year) upgraded their iPhone and kept their plan? I did in 2014 and it was a hassle with multiple calls to customer care to "keep my plan" (and one person lying to me saying it could not be done). I'm going to upgrade to a new phone in October and would like to hear recent experiences.

Part of the reason I'm asking is that I went through the online menus to "upgrade" last night and I wasn't even given a choice of plans to pick from...just "add to cart" and "order". Years ago, you had to select a plan and the Grandfather Plan wasn't a choice, forcing you to speak to customer care.

Any experiences?

FYI - I still maintain the Unlimited International Plan at $65 per month.
I don't remember the date but I upgraded to an iPhone X with no problems so it couldn't have been that long ago. I have upgraded multiple times under the plan and I ALWAYS do it in person at a corporate AT&T store. In fact I tried once at an Apple store and he said that he was afraid it would get messed up and to go to an AT&T store.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 4:59 pm

Does anyone have that experience? The UAE is not a passport country and I think I would have noticed if I was paying roaming rates there. I am going to Azerbajan which is not a Passport country. My understanding is that only roam is Cuba and cruise ships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.