Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2015, 5:07 am

i am in Australia right now with this plan and have LTE on Telstra and have consumed a fair amount
Old Apr 24, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
Pick a day and I will tell you what I think about routing the data back through the US. It does reduce speed, but it means that I can access most US only internet services, avoid VOIP blocking, etc. On whole, I think it is the better approach.
All in all, I'm a fan of this approach; it's allowed me full, unfiltered access while traveling in China, which has been a great convenience.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Marriot Am, MU Pt
Works everywhere as long as your phone supports the local frequency used. That has been my experience.

If you guys are curious, this plan also includes roaming on cruise ships. I think it's the only roaming data plan that works on ships.

Of course it's ridiculously slow since most ships have like an old 2G network, but it works. ^
Old May 1, 2015, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by alphaod
Works everywhere as long as your phone supports the local frequency used. That has been my experience.

If you guys are curious, this plan also includes roaming on cruise ships. I think it's the only roaming data plan that works on ships.

Of course it's ridiculously slow since most ships have like an old 2G network, but it works. ^
I've seen some ships with GPRS. EDGE would be an improvement.
Old May 2, 2015, 1:06 am

Does anyone with the unlimited international data have issues with texting costs (overage costs)?
Old May 2, 2015, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by #10
Does anyone with the unlimited international data have issues with texting costs (overage costs)?
iMessages are included in the plan; outbound SMS/MMS texting is not. If you have a text message plan, inbound isn't surcharged for anyone.

I just return the texts from my Google VOice number using data which is free.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:28 am

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
I'm in Hong Kong right now and have had this greatest of all grandpappyed plans for years. I'm enjoying CSL's finest LTE data and paying only for the odd text message (really, how many SMSs do 60-something guys send?). I got this plan with a BB a long time ago and was amazed that ATT let me keep it when I got an iPhone. Facetime and iMessage are part of the deal, so most of my limited texting is free, too.

Getting something this good from ATT is like getting a candygram from ISIL, but I'll take it.
Old May 8, 2015, 5:41 am

Originally Posted by dulcamara
I'm in Hong Kong right now and have had this greatest of all grandpappyed plans for years. I'm enjoying CSL's finest LTE data and paying only for the odd text message (really, how many SMSs do 60-something guys send?). I got this plan with a BB a long time ago and was amazed that ATT let me keep it when I got an iPhone. Facetime and iMessage are part of the deal, so most of my limited texting is free, too.

Getting something this good from ATT is like getting a candygram from ISIL, but I'll take it.
I agree. The forthcoming Google Mobile Service is the closest thing I've seen. Currently people are capped at 256k outside the US, but that isn't too bad. Moreover, I expect to see more Gooble Mobile countries launch where you get full speed and included calling. My prediction for country #2 is the UK.
Old May 8, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
iMessages are included in the plan; outbound SMS/MMS texting is not. If you have a text message plan, inbound isn't surcharged for anyone.

I just return the texts from my Google VOice number using data which is free.
iMessage is really just a messaging service that uses data and not the cellular SMS channel..until it hits a user that isn't on iMessage or cannot send to a user who isn't (not a blue recipient) but as long as "send as SMS" is not checked in iMessage it wouldn't go out as SMS.
Old May 9, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by nmenaker
iMessage is really just a messaging service that uses data and not the cellular SMS channel..until it hits a user that isn't on iMessage or cannot send to a user who isn't (not a blue recipient) but as long as "send as SMS" is not checked in iMessage it wouldn't go out as SMS.
I've set my iMessage to show my email address rather than a phone number to further reduce the chances of accidental texts and to stop confusing people about the "amount of phone numbers you have."
Old May 16, 2015, 12:35 am

I can confirm this plan will let you roam on LTE in any of the compatible countries included in their "Passport" packages. It's worked for data roaming so far in Hong Kong, Mexico, El Salvador, Japan, Thailand, UK, Germany, Italy, Kenya, and Egypt.
Kenya, Egypt, and El Salvador did not have LTE and the list reflects it. The only one that did not work even though the list showed LTE available was Thailand. Even in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, could not get my iPhone 6 Plus to pick up LTE.

Like others 90 percent of my messaging is through iMessage. Any other poor souls without iDevices I've simply blocked them and stopped being friends with them... Kidding! But seriously I've actually told them to correspond with me through Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, or Hangouts (with my Google Voice number). This way I don't pay the bloated 50 cents per text or $1.30 per picture that AT&T charges.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 9:05 am
whl
Original Poster

Currently in Maldives and data under this grandfathered plan does not work. Only have voice. I had a 3 hours stop-over in Colombo on my way here and data worked. Therefore, I am certain data for this grandfathered plan is block in Maldives . It worked when I was here in 2009.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by whl
Currently in Maldives and data under this grandfathered plan does not work. Only have voice.
Neither of the providers in the Maldives are listed by AT&T as providing data access, regardless of plan - http://www.att.com/travelguide/cover...DL=462&MNC=380

Compare this to Sri Lanka where you said you did get data - http://www.att.com/travelguide/cover...L=144&MNC=CING
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by whl
Currently in Maldives and data under this grandfathered plan does not work. Only have voice. I had a 3 hours stop-over in Colombo on my way here and data worked. Therefore, I am certain data for this grandfathered plan is block in Maldives . It worked when I was here in 2009.
it is not the grandfathered plan that is blocked. It's simply that AT&T has ended it's data roaming agreements with the telecoms in Maldives.
The grandfathered will work anywhere AT&T has roaming agreements - not anywhere in the world.
By the way it worked for me in January 2014 in Maldives, though I have since also noticed it no longer works.
AT&T also sent us an sms over the summer that cruise ships would no longer be included in our grandfathered data plan starting last month - fyi for anyone that is taking one.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 2:23 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Hey gang-

With the recent news that ATT will be raising the price on the grandfathered Domestic Unlimited plans ($30 to $35), has anyone heard anything on price changes to our grandfathered ATT International Unlimited Plans?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.