Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

International LTE Roaming on AT&T Grandfathered International Unlimited Data Plan

Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
So far, my grandfathered unlimited plan appears to be LTE only (that is, I get “5G E” coverage, but not proper 5G). If anyone had successfully connected to true 5G with their grandfathered international unlimited plan; I’d love to hear your story and whether it required AT&T customer support intervention.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 11:13 pm

Location: Atlanta is home, but 2 weeks a month in Europe, South America, and Asia
Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, ATT Unlimited Worldwide LTE, Global Entry, Petsmart Dog Dad
Originally Posted by BenA
So far, my grandfathered unlimited plan appears to be LTE only (that is, I get “5G E” coverage, but not proper 5G). If anyone had successfully connected to true 5G with their grandfathered international unlimited plan; I’d love to hear your story and whether it required AT&T customer support intervention.
Hi Ben-

Amazing...almost a year to the day since the last post on this- and it was from me! I get the feeling there are maybe a handful of us left with the grandfathered international unlimited plan. I've inquired at two ATT stores and both times was told I need a new sim and a new plan. I still feel as I did a year ago...I've rather have LTE (or at least 3G) all over the world than 5G but only in the US. But they do make it hard. I wanted to add an extra line for my elderly Mom...nope...not with our grandfathered plan. Personal Hotspot would be nice too...but nope...not with our grandfathered plan. ATT is really not interested in worldwide data plans. I've looked at T-Mobile, but hard to imagine their included 2g 256 kbps international roaming would be anything but infuriating.

Anyhow I'll sure post if I learn anything!

Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2021, 6:29 am

I just dropped my ATT’s grandfathered international in favor of Fi and TMobile. My wife and I have gone to semi-retired and I could no longer justify the $320 a month we were paying for this plan and the separate voice plan with PAYG texting and a huge bump for the limited North American calling plan. It pained me and I am second guessing myself. We have TMobile Magenta Max 55+ and on my phone I have a Fi flex plan with data SIMs that I managed to get before Fi scaled back to four. My wife has one of the data SIMs in her iPhone 12. When we go abroad, we turn data roaming off on the TMobile lines and both use my Fi.

I should probably change my handle to “Detroit Stu” at this point.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:14 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I just dropped my ATT’s grandfathered international in favor of Fi and TMobile. My wife and I have gone to semi-retired and I could no longer justify the $320 a month we were paying for this plan and the separate voice plan with PAYG texting and a huge bump for the limited North American calling plan. It pained me and I am second guessing myself. We have TMobile Magenta Max 55+ and on my phone I have a Fi flex plan with data SIMs that I managed to get before Fi scaled back to four. My wife has one of the data SIMs in her iPhone 12. When we go abroad, we turn data roaming off on the TMobile lines and both use my Fi.

I should probably change my handle to “Detroit Stu” at this point.
Makes sense. In the age of FI & Airalo and other eSim providers, the unlimited roaming plan is less awesome as it once was. I recently switched from FI->T-Mobile> AT&T. While I may never use it, AT&T's new roaming policy which caps at $100 (pre-tax) of roaming charges per cycle for totally unlimited high speed data in my mind also is pretty damn good... for the convenience. That said, I'll likely just buy airalo e-sims when I start traveling again
Old Nov 5, 2021, 5:44 pm

The only jurisdiction I might be going to over the next 24 months that isn't covered is New Caledonia. I couldn't justify it.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by 007shinobi
No problem! By any chance did anyone actually not get an increase? I guess most of you guys aren't active anymore though . Also, does anyone still have the Unlimited International Data for Blackberry (standalone)?
I do! And it is still working just fine. FYI - have spent one month in the US in the past 5 years... I guess as long as you are not abusing the data they don't really care about this 50% international vs domestic data cap.
Old May 11, 2022, 11:45 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Originally Posted by kupe
Hey gang-

Has anyone here with the grandfathered ATT Unlimited International plan moved their sim to a new 5G capable iPhone 12? And if so, are you getting 5G service? (I don't mean the pseudo 5Ge but the real mmWave 5G). I'm concerned since several coworkers who have bought iPhone 12 had to swap their ATT sims for new 5G capable sims AND had to sign up for new plans. This could be bad news for those of us on the grandfathered unlimited World.

Thanks!
I'm using the iPhone 12 with this plan. Still using my 4G sim from 2015! How do I know if it's the real "5G"?
Old Aug 21, 2023, 1:21 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
Reviving this thread to see if anyone has managed to get 5G data in the US with this plan. My phone is showing 5G for the first time! — but only while picking up an Israeli cell tower. (I’m actually in Jordan, so that 5G signal is too weak to actually experience what I’ve been missing without 5G.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.