Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Minimum size install for XP, Vista, Windows 7, What website shows stuff to delete

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum size install for XP, Vista, Windows 7, What website shows stuff to delete

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2014, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Hi

I have a few old laptops , netbooks etc in the house ,
they have XP , Vista and one has Windows 7

I remember when Netbooks came out there was an XP install that deleted many of the unused items ,
Is there a website that tells you what you need and what are "extras" that take up space but never get used ? Or a program that does it for you ?

Like all computers these are getting slower and I might want to do a re-install,

Also they all have the Windows sticker and serial number on the back , but of course never came with back-up discs, do I just use a generic windows disc and then call microsoft or ???

Maybe what I want is Windows "Lite" and a beer
Thanks for your help

Last edited by LAXlocal; Feb 16, 2014 at 4:33 pm Reason: Windows Lite ?
Old Feb 16, 2014, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can download official ISOs of Windows 7 from Digital River.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-1c8486a46ebf

With XP, there are several kinds of disk. If you have a disk that came with a Dell PC, for example, you can only use it to install on another Dell PC. If you have a retail disk, you can use it to install on anything.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
With XP, there are several kinds of disk. If you have a disk that came with a Dell PC, for example, you can only use it to install on another Dell PC.
Not exactly true.

I have used a Dell XP disk to install on Dells as well as others (Toshiba, Fujitsu, HP, DIY). Of course, you'll need a valid COA key, but I have nice collection of those.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigLar
Not exactly true.

I have used a Dell XP disk to install on Dells as well as others (Toshiba, Fujitsu, HP, DIY). Of course, you'll need a valid COA key, but I have nice collection of those.
I seem to recall a whole rigamarole with XP install CDs where, if you had an OEM CD from one manufacturer and wanted to install on a different brand laptop, you had to rip the CD, edit or delete a file, then burn a new CD. What am I thinking of?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:48 am

What am I thinking of?
Violating Microsoft's license agreement would be my guess
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I seem to recall a whole rigamarole with XP install CDs where, if you had an OEM CD from one manufacturer and wanted to install on a different brand laptop, you had to rip the CD, edit or delete a file, then burn a new CD. What am I thinking of?
Never had a problem.

Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Violating Microsoft's license agreement would be my guess
Not necessarily.

I used that particular CD because it was already SP3, which saved me a lot of download time. The computers I was installing it into normally had a valid COA sticker, so activating it was pretty fast. It's just that with Dells, the activation was already taken care of.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 10:37 am

I don't know the trick, but I can confirm that I've also had problems trying to use a Dell-branded Microsoft XP install disk on a non-Dell machine. This was years ago, but the error message that came up was pretty much "you can't do this."
Old Feb 17, 2014, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

is there anywhere to download a clean XP disc that you can install and then use your CO number off the computers sticker ?

But back to my original question ,

is there somewhere that tells you all the stuff you do NOT need to install ?

thanks
Old Feb 17, 2014, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With XP, there are several kinds of disk. If you have a disk that came with a Dell PC, for example, you can only use it to install on another Dell PC. If you have a retail disk, you can use it to install on anything.
You know, it's funny. The only CD's I've had trouble installing are retail CDs. As I said, the Dell one works fine.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LAXlocal
is there anywhere to download a clean XP disc that you can install and then use your CO number off the computers sticker ?
You can download official ISOs of Windows 7 from Digital River.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-1c8486a46ebf.
ETA: Sorry, got confused her between xp/7. Pay no attention to the man typing.
is there somewhere that tells you all the stuff you do NOT need to install ?

thanks
I don't think Microsoft is interested in telling you what not to install.

In the old days, we used to prune an OS installion by just deleting stuff we didn't need/never used. Not so easy nowadays, but the add/remove window gives you the option of removing Windows components.

Are you wanting to do a minimalist install because of hard drive space restrictions, or just to speed up the install process? You can do a complete XP install in under 4 gigs, and it's hard to find even older computers with less than 20-40 gigs.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BigLar
I don't think Microsoft is interested in telling you what not to install.

In the old days, we used to prune an OS installion by just deleting stuff we didn't need/never used. Not so easy nowadays, but the add/remove window gives you the option of removing Windows components.

Are you wanting to do a minimalist install because of hard drive space restrictions, or just to speed up the install process? You can do a complete XP install in under 4 gigs, and it's hard to find even older computers with less than 20-40 gigs.
Hard drive space is not the problem , but XP etc loads up a lot of stuff at start-up that you will never use ,
This takes time to load and also RAM that can be used for something else.

and the add/delete window is great if you know what to delete
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:48 pm

I remember XP product keys used to be SPECIFIC for that exact CD you had.

For example, if I bought XP with SP1...then my key would not work with someone who had the original XP (with no Service Packs), or my key would not work with someone who had XP with SP 2, etc...

So if you had XP with SP1 and the disc broke, you couldn't use your friend's CD unless he also had XP with SP1.

Is this the case with Windows 7?
in other words, I bought a laptop (comes with Win 7 but no CD/DVD), can I download win 7 from that site listed in post #2 and then install using the CD Key for my current install? (if I decide to do a fresh format, etc)

Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2014, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sard
Is this the case with Windows 7?
in other words, I bought a laptop (comes with Win 7 but no CD/DVD), can I download win 7 from that site listed in post #2 and then install using the CD Key for my current install? (if I decide to do a fresh format, etc)

Thanks
The Windows 7 version you install has to match the product key you have. A product key for Home Premium, for example, won't work for Professional or Ultimate.

Service packs don't matter.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:31 pm

>
The Windows 7 version you install has to match the product key you have. A product key for Home Premium, for example, won't work for Professional or Ultimate.

Service packs don't matter.
>

You mean version as in, Ultimate vs Home vs Professional, etc?
Thats fine.

So it is unlike XP, because for XP, the service pack did matter.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hard drive space is not the problem , but XP etc loads up a lot of stuff at start-up that you will never use ,
This takes time to load and also RAM that can be used for something else.
I may be mistaken, but XP never loaded anything not necessary for it to run when I start the computer. Go to All Programs -> Startup and you'll see what apps runs when you start up. On all my computers, the entry is (empty).

The things (processes) XP runs when it starts up are things it needs to do its various tasks. If there are applications in your startup folder, they're usually put there by the guys who sold you the computer (a.k.a. "bloatware"), or by you, because you want something to be instantly available. XP by itself does not put any apps there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.