2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2014: Favorite iOS/iPad/iPhone Apps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by onlysuites
I haven't jailbroken my 5S yet. Other than free app's are there any other benefits now? I used to do it for the control center and facetime over 3G but that's available as standard now anyway.
I'll try to keep this as short as possible, and encourage interested folks to explore further on their own.

As indicated by others, iOS 7 has eliminated need for some of the older tweaks - SBSettings and Killbackground are two examples that come to mind. Here's a brief list of some the tweaks I either have currently installed or looking at for my 5s running 7.0.4 since JB my 5s 48 hours ago, keeping in mind I've jb older models and each individual users have their own particular of needs and interests:

Installed already:
Activator
Tetherme
RingerX VP - now called Ringer & Tones for iOS7
5 Icon dock
AppLocker
PredictiveKeyboard
TapTodaysCalendar
Virtual Home - don't have to push the home key
CCControls
Bloard
iKeyWi - adds 5 row to keyboard
Cinexplayer
Winterboard - installed in the past, now waiting for bugs to be worked out by Saurik before installing

Still considering:
Infiniboard
BiteSMS
iFile
Barrel
Springtomize
Callbar
SkipLock
BioLockDown
Fancy
SPTouch
Eclipse

99% already on cydia without having to add another source. A few others which have been updated for iOS7 yet; will add as they pop up. Normal procedure is to install 1-2, play with them for a day or so to make sure no problems or conflicts before adding another 1-2.

Primer on jb procedure [Mac users, but Windows quite similar]:
1. Complicated but comprehensive method: http://lifehacker.com/5771943/how-to...e-guide-ios-61
2. Short cut is merely to download evasi0n app, open and plug your iPhone, then follow prompts.

As always, make complete backup via iTunes!

PM if additional questions; I'm sure this is just the tip of the iceberg and others will recommend other tweaks.

Last edited by dtsm; Jan 31, 2014 at 4:16 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:02 pm

Sticky status

Given the number of hits and posts, would the moderators consider making this a sticky?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 4:23 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dtsm

As indicated by others, iOS 7 has eliminated need for some of the older tweaks - SBSettings
I have kept SBSettings because I find it far easier than Control Center

I have both TetherMe and PDANet and find the latter much more elegant (have used since my Palm Treo days)
Old Jan 31, 2014, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have kept SBSettings because I find it far easier than Control Center
Try CCControls, you'll probably dump SBSettings

I have both TetherMe and PDANet and find the latter much more elegant (have used since my Palm Treo days)
I read somewhere years back that the networks could somehow detect some of the tether tweaks and shut you down - apparently Tetherme was bullet proof to detection. i seldom used it except in emergency as I was a TMO customer without 3G access back in the old days. Now with Vz and LTE, it's used more

On another note, just noticed a bug on Bloard and emailed developer. Had to disable the tweak for now. Nothing serious....
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
While that is much more true than it used to be, the ability to tether when you need it via a couple of proven Cydia apps is THE reason I jailbreak.
That maybe depends on your phone company and/or your plan. For me tethering is included for free so I don't need to JB to get that feature. It's not just Apple that has gown up, it's the network operators too.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
That maybe depends on your phone company and/or your plan. For me tethering is included for free so I don't need to JB to get that feature. It's not just Apple that has gown up, it's the network operators too.
Tethering depends not only on the telephone provider and also on the particular contract. For example with Vodafone we have two different offers- 1 which includes tethering free of charge and the other which charges an astounding 4 EUR per day for tethering. 3 seems to provide free tethering anywhere I have been and I often use my non-JB iPhone as a personal hotspot- particularly good in HK where 3 is the only operator providing free roaming- Vodafone charges 29 EUR per MB.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 12:55 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Try CCControls, you'll probably dump SBSettings
Okay

I read somewhere years back that the networks could somehow detect some of the tether tweaks and shut you down - apparently Tetherme was bullet proof to detection...
The stories I've seen say that PDANet and Tetherme both are excellent at hiding the tethering. If one wants another lay for web surfing while tethered, using an extension like one of the user agent switchers will make it appear that your laptop's browser is in fact iPhone Safari.

I consider both programs insurance. The near ubiquity of wifi has made the need less, but when you need it you really need it. I'm not going to pay AT&T $30 more for tethering that I use once a month or so.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm on Verizon grandfathered unlimited data and I pay the $30/month because it's only right and I don't mind having it and using the heck out of it when I need it.

But I'm very interested in jailbreaking my iphone now that I know it won't screw anything up.

The thing is I hate fiddling with my phone which is why I'm trying the iphone instead of another Android phone (gave up the Galaxy Note 2 for the iphone recently)

My concern is not having something that throws errors and problems...any thoughts? Thank you!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 7:29 am

Before it got pulled, Flappy Bird......LOL!
Old Feb 13, 2014, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Before it got pulled, Flappy Bird......LOL!
my kids are jealous i have it and they don't.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 1:56 pm

Another bump for tetherme, cydia app to create free hotspot. 5s tethering my iPad and moto G in hotel room. Good speed...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Apple posted iOS 7.0.6 fix SSL connect verification

Apple has posted iOS 7.0.6 and iOS 6.1.6 with fixes for SSL connection verification (https) affecting OSX and iOS on Feb. 21, details on http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1222

Before upgrading, as a matter of best practices for the weekend - recommend doing a full backup & restore first. This update still, per my understanding, does not deal with security risks posed under OS X 10.9.1

As for JB - evad3rs released an evasi0n7 official update that brings support for jailbreaking the new iOS 7.0.6 firmware as of yesterday. Please read all notes & comments posted, proceed at your own risks - if you aren't sure whether you need it or don't know what it is or what to do with it afterward, then you do not need it.

Rumors remain that 7.1 is coming shortly (by March 1st. ) and once released, wait for the next JB solution could be a while. ^ Have fun with all these
Old Feb 23, 2014, 4:34 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Any ideas how to get iOS 6.1.6 on my iPad 3? It want to jump to 7.0.x
Old Feb 23, 2014, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Before upgrading, as a matter of best practices for the weekend - recommend doing a full backup & restore first. This update still, per my understanding, does not deal with security risks posed under OS X 10.9.1
Indeed, and that is the worst part. OSX is totally exposed, at least all the stock apps are. For the moment, when out and about, try and use a VPN if you can.. MITM attacks could compromise mail traffic, among others.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Any ideas how to get iOS 6.1.6 on my iPad 3? It want to jump to 7.0.x
Its only for devices not supported by ios7.

ie: iphone 3gs and ipod touch 4th gen.

expand "system requirements" on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1722

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.