Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by jplee3
Do you use the desktop version of the site or do you just enter the number via the mobile Google Voice site (I noticed there's an option for it but the interface isn't all that great either for mobile GV). I just wish this were all better integrated on Android; I just don't see why they've completely botched everything in attempts to head to Hangouts. Why disable all these features when Hangouts isn't even close to done as far as GV Integration...
I have not tried the mobile version of the web site because if I am already loading up the web page, I might as well use something I know for sure, so never tried it.

I also suspect it wouldn't work, because the mobile version knows it's a phone, it knows my Google identity, and it may knows my phone number and use the phone (instead of VoIP) to call like the app. The desktop version of the site does require some zooming/panning on my Nexus 4, but it's usable.

It is shameful Hangouts is inferior on Android vs iOS.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
I have not tried the mobile version of the web site because if I am already loading up the web page, I might as well use something I know for sure, so never tried it.

I also suspect it wouldn't work, because the mobile version knows it's a phone, it knows my Google identity, and it may knows my phone number and use the phone (instead of VoIP) to call like the app. The desktop version of the site does require some zooming/panning on my Nexus 4, but it's usable.

It is shameful Hangouts is inferior on Android vs iOS.
I'm testing making a call out now with the mobile GV site and it seems to be working just fine. Although, it's a bit choppy... but that could just be the Freedompop connection or something...

Weird, I'm trying to use VPN Unlimited with my FP but it doesn't seem to be working... I wonder if FP is blocking VPN traffic..!

Last edited by jplee3; Aug 22, 2014 at 1:41 pm
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:36 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Thanks for mentioning VPN Unlimited. I gave them a try and decided to get in on the $19 for 3 years deal

Entirely possible FP is messing with your VPN traffic (or just isn't very reliable, it runs on Sprint after all). VPN Unlimited worked fine for me on both home DSL and T-Mobile HSPA+. VoIP calls (only about 15 seconds each to test) sound fine while on VPN Unlimited.

Just tested using mobile version of Google Voice web page to make a call. Even though phone was in airplane mode (but WiFi on) GV web page popped me over to my phone dialer to complete the call. So I will keep using the desktop version of web page to initiate VoIP calls.

Last edited by gfunkdave; Sep 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
I can call to US and Canada for free while having my GV number in Venezuela paired with GrooveIP, textPlus and other things, but what I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way i can call Greece for free and with somehow relative quality. My Star Alliance plan is Aegean so i want to find a way to call them in somewhat a reliable way. The Venezuela mobile network is worse than GV from here to place calls abroad,even if you pay you can't hear anything. I'm going to search is Aegean has an US number but I'm not sure.

Edit: Got it, i think this number would do fine (+1) 855-323-4326
As for the VPN discussion i tried once VyperVPN and it was excellent,best VPN service i've seen.

Last edited by mvtm; Aug 24, 2014 at 8:09 am
Old Sep 7, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by AnalogMan
Just tested using mobile version of Google Voice web page to make a call. Even though phone was in airplane mode (but WiFi on) GV web page popped me over to my phone dialer to complete the call. So I will keep using the desktop version of web page to initiate VoIP calls.

Ughh I've been having pretty inconsistent (and mostly on the side of BAD) experiences with VPN Unlimited as well as Tunnelbear when trying to shovel Talkatone, GrooveIP, and GV-forwarded calls through either VPNs. Not sure what the deal is but I'm having trouble on both my Android devices (Nexus 7 2012 tablet and Moto G). At first I was having problems receiving the GV-forwarded call and being able to answer in Talkatone. The ring screen comes up but if I hit "answer" it doesn't actually answer. I tried directly dialing both my Talkatone and GrooveIP numbers (while connected to the VPN) from my wife's cellphone and Talkatone would ring but did not answer despite pressing "answer" - the GrooveIP number didn't even ring my devices!

I was in Mexico this past weekend and tried the same thing as well with poor results through the VPN. I was able to make one call out using the GV Desktop site trick but that was only for an outgoing call. It was also spotty an unreliable. I could never receive incoming calls from my wife either.

This is definitely not looking good for the upcoming travel to Korea and Taiwan. Gonna have to try to figure something else out Bad thing is I already ended up committing to rent the Wifi Korea hotspot so we'll be stuck with that most of the time. It's a shame they block GV over there

Funny thing is, I am able to receive GV calls just fine over VPN on my Macbook Air. I still have yet to try with the Ipod Touch but that may end up being what we come to rely on for calls over there... we'll see

Update: I just tested out Google Hangouts via VPN Unlimited and was able to make and receive calls to my GV number with very little problem on the Ipod Touch. Sucks that I have to rely on another device just to make/receive phone calls but I think that's the best way to go at this point. The Android solutions seem spotty at best. I really wish Google would get their act together and get GV integrated into Hangouts for Android. It's ridiculous they still haven't gotten it over at this point in time.

Last edited by jplee3; Sep 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:51 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Looks like hangouts is getting voice support starting today.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Looks like hangouts is getting voice support starting today.
You're right! I just installed it and am testing it currently

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2014/...ree-voice.html

It may not roll out right away but someone in the comments thread posted up the updated Google Hangouts Dialer as well as Hangouts 2.3

I installed both and am now able to make and receive calls to Hangouts with at least one caveat I just noticed: in airplane mode with only wifi enabled, it appears that you cannot receive any calls. Presumably this has something to do with the Hangouts dialer integration relying on the native dialer, which of course will only work if the phone has service. For pure wifi calling though, I don't know if it's possible to receive calls. I was able to call out no problems whatsoever.

Unless I can figure something else out, looks like I'm still stuck bringing the Ipod Touch with me :T

EDIT: Nevermind! I had to go to Hangout settings and then my email, and select "Incoming phone calls" so that it would ring Hangouts instead. Sweet! Looks like this will work out after all!!! What perfect timing... let's hope the CQ is good. I still need to test this out on VPN too
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by jplee3
You're right! I just installed it and am testing it currently
Does installing the Hangouts update uninstall Voice? If not, how do they interact?

Google hasn't dropped the update for my phone yet....
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
Does installing the Hangouts update uninstall Voice? If not, how do they interact?

Google hasn't dropped the update for my phone yet....
I think Voice isn't required as Hangouts will 'replace' it. You can try manually downloading the APK above and installing it. That's what I did and have been testing with it since.

BTW: I think Freedompop is blocking or severely throttling any communication over VPN. I noticed this issue before - when I switched to my work's guest network and connected to my VPN service (VPN Unlimited) I connected fine and was able to browse. Through FP, the VPN connects but traffic seems to get pinched - could be cause they have their own FP-branded VPN that they're doing this. Kinda shady if that's the case...

Hopefully the hotspot I'm renting in Korea doesn't block VPN!
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Google Voice Merging Into Hangouts

Finally!

The last step will be to allow SMS/MMS to be natively viewed (and able to be replied to!) across all devices.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've installed Hangouts 2.3 as well as the Hangouts Dialer, but I still haven't received the Google Voice voicemail integration notification yet (which I'm more interested in than the voice calling feature). These staged rollouts always seem to take awhile for me... I'm STILL waiting for the "OK, Google" recognition in any app to get pushed to Google Now Launcher.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I've installed Hangouts 2.3 as well as the Hangouts Dialer, but I still haven't received the Google Voice voicemail integration notification yet (which I'm more interested in than the voice calling feature). These staged rollouts always seem to take awhile for me... I'm STILL waiting for the "OK, Google" recognition in any app to get pushed to Google Now Launcher.

I don't know if you need to see that integration notification... at least, I don't recall seeing it after installing and it just let me start dialing out. I install the Google Voice app right before upgrading it but after got things working, I uninstalled it and everything still seems to be working fine.

When you start Google Hangouts, are you able to dial-out or anything?
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
I have Hangouts 2.3 (and the new Hangouts Dialer that adds VOIP calls to hangouts) but haven't received the Voice Integration message or settings yet. It seems like these staged rollouts always take A LONG TIME to get to me... I still haven't received the "OK, Google" form any app feature for Google Now Launcher.
Did you try to search for it? I had to do this to enable on my Nexus (admittedly I was impatient to wait) but it did the trick.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:22 pm

"This changes everything."
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
The dialer is there, it's the GV Voicemail integration which hasn't been activated for me yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.