Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Google Voice Over VOIP Outside the US

Old Jan 23, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Use GV from Romania to US on a daily basis. No issues. BUT, the account was established / first call made from US first.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 8:04 pm

There is another way which I have used and while it is not perfect, it is free (if you are calling a USA number) and from my understanding will not be deprecated later this year.

Essentially you have to setup an account with PBXes.org and use an application on (Android) called SIPDroid.

Dan
Old Jan 25, 2014, 10:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dan1431
There is another way which I have used and while it is not perfect, it is free (if you are calling a USA number) and from my understanding will not be deprecated later this year.

Essentially you have to setup an account with PBXes.org and use an application on (Android) called SIPDroid.
This WILL stop working in May. If it's a 3rd party app, and it's using Google Voice, then it will break come May.

Plus, that PBXes.com websites deserves to die a horrid death. Sound on a homepage is bad. *That* sound on a homepage is worse than bad.
Old Jan 26, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: UA
I have used it from UK, France and Canada. I have a free IPKall number set up as the callback number which is forwarded to a SIP account. I use the Acrobits softphone app on my iPhone and it works great. Not sure if this setup will continue to work but we will see.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:10 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by Dubai Stu
I was wondering if I could get a straw poll of people who have made VOIP using Google Voice from outside the US (and using a foreign IP address, not an US SIM on an international data plan or through a US VPN).

I'm in a middle of a dispute in another forum where someone with a high rating is swearing that it can't be done (without proxies or tunnels) and you will be blocked. I was wondering whether anyone who has ever used Google Voice with a foreign SIM in their phone could share their experiences. Thanks.
Yes, it can be done.
I'm using Google Voice with my Galaxy S4 in Venezuela. I have a Venezuelan SIM and it is working fine for me. I also forward my Skype calls to my Google Voice number.

It works perfect. I use GrooVe IP on my mobile plus the standalone Google Voice application. I also may use it on my computer, but this may require proxies, such as HotSpot Shield to mimic an US IP.

Yep, i'm one of those folks using it.
Old May 8, 2014, 8:16 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by docbert
This WILL stop working in May. If it's a 3rd party app, and it's using Google Voice, then it will break come May.

Plus, that PBXes.com websites deserves to die a horrid death. Sound on a homepage is bad. *That* sound on a homepage is worse than bad.
Google Voice is still working via 3rd party apps, but given some emails Google is sending out about May 14th being some cut-off date by which to use the number for calls and/or texts (if not having recently used the account) by that day if wanting to keep the number, perhaps that is the cut-off date for a bunch of stuff related to this.
Old May 8, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Google Voice is still working via 3rd party apps, but given some emails Google is sending out about May 14th being some cut-off date by which to use the number for calls and/or texts (if not having recently used the account) by that day if wanting to keep the number, perhaps that is the cut-off date for a bunch of stuff related to this.
May 14th has been stated as the cut-off date for Google Voice via 3rd party apps since the cut-off was first announced over 6 months ago.

Nobody knows if it will happen exactly on the 14th or sometime (shortly?) afterwards, but I wouldn't be relying on it working on/after the 14th.
Old May 8, 2014, 2:04 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Really looking forward to a Hangouts update on Android for VOIP calling functionality. Would hate to have to carry an iOS device around just to keep getting GV calls.
Old May 18, 2014, 8:13 pm

Hi guys,

Today is May 19, 2014 and nothing happenning. I've see this thread today and check out the grooveip but put it on my BB Z10. However, I have found a less complicated app which is GV Phone, it's so easy to use: just install and use as a normal phone. I've tried to call to the US and it works great (I guess noone can call me back from the US). Just wanna say hi from Vietnam.
Old May 19, 2014, 5:27 pm
Suspended

GV Mobile+ app for my Google Voice number still works as usual for making calls -- at least as of today within the hour of this post.

The strange thing is that the app developer mentions that Google would no longer service the app's working for such calls as of and after May 15th. I certainly haven't noticed a change at least in this limited regard.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 19, 2014 at 5:33 pm
Old May 20, 2014, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by GUWonder
GV Mobile+ app for my Google Voice number still works as usual for making calls -- at least as of today within the hour of this post.

The strange thing is that the app developer mentions that Google would no longer service the app's working for such calls as of and after May 15th. I certainly haven't noticed a change at least in this limited regard.
Grr. GrooveIP is NOT working.
Old May 21, 2014, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
Does anyone have any viable suggestions for a good VOIP client to RECEIVE calls with an Android phone, especially while on a mobile network (ie - not Wifi?)

Now that GrooveIP and Google Voice is toast, I'm looking at alternatives. GrooveIP has a new relationship with ring.to, but I find the whole app annoying because it often simply 'signs out' without warning.

I was considering getting a Skype In number, but at approx $5/month it's a touch pricy.
Old May 21, 2014, 12:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Boogie711
Grr. GrooveIP is NOT working.
GV MOBILE+ app on my iOS devices is working like usual for making calls still. I'll try later today to see how it handles incoming calls.
Old May 21, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: MR Platinum
Originally Posted by Boogie711
Does anyone have any viable suggestions for a good VOIP client to RECEIVE calls with an Android phone, especially while on a mobile network (ie - not Wifi?)

Now that GrooveIP and Google Voice is toast, I'm looking at alternatives. GrooveIP has a new relationship with ring.to, but I find the whole app annoying because it often simply 'signs out' without warning.

I was considering getting a Skype In number, but at approx $5/month it's a touch pricy.
Do you have an iPod touch by any chance? Google Hangouts on iOS allows placing calls which means receiving calls are likely working too, but have not personally tested yet. You will have to tether the iPod to your phone though. I am also planning to try my iPad Mini with LTE, to see if Hangouts calling will work on it.

Not a great solution, and definitely not free unless you already own iOS devices.
Old May 22, 2014, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Obii is still working, and they sent out an email saying Google pushed off the date a bit, but that it will likely stop working "soon."

But again, that has nothing to do with OP's initial question of whether overseas affects use, and the answer is that it does not. When logged into Gmail, I can call no problem using Google Voice (not Hangouts) to any US/Canadian number, for free, regardless of where I am in the world, with no proxy/VPN needed

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.