Wiki Posts
Search

please tell me how to dump cable

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

please tell me how to dump cable

We pay a fortune in cable and don't watch much really. We do have very fast broadband, though.

I'm not on a contract...with FIOS.

Thinking, why pay for HBO and all the rest of that junk if we barely ever watch?

I do have a Roku 3.

I enjoy World Series baseball but that's about all the live TV we watch and I could live without that.

What are your thoughts?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My fiance and I agreed not to get cable when we moved to New York. We have a Roku and a Mac Mini plugged into the TV. I bought a TV antenna. We haven't missed cable, and it's been 3 years.

Many cable TV shows we like are available online as well (ComedyCentral.com has both the Daily Show and Colbert, for example).

We watch a lot less garbage TV these days. For movies and many TV shows, we stream a lot for free that's included in my Amazon Prime membership. Or we stream Netflix.

Broadcast TV is all in HD.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's very easy - call and cancel. I did a while back and I still watch about the same as I did before. Now, however, i dn't pay for it! I did install an HD antenna, which seems to have died at some point. It took me a few months to realize.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not just cancel the channels you don't need?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
Why not just cancel the channels you don't need?
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. For years, we've negotiated with Mr. Dolan and Cablevision....every year or so when rates are bumped, I'd call retention to make a deal.

We've had internet, phone and cable with one provider and in theory you'd think we could shop for other deals. But there's the old 'collusion' network out there and everyone prices 'similarly'.

This month I got a letter with the annual bump and called again. I couldn't get any promotions or discounts - apparently had used them all up! If I cancel cable, and only get internet/phone, they eliminate the triple package 'discount'. If I want their phone service, need to bundle with at least internet. I'd like to give up phone service entirely but can't because it's tied to our alarm system...get the picture

Fios and Verizon aren't available here, and AT&T service stinks and is equally expensive. Dish and/or Satellite won't work with the tree lines, etc.!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dtsm
Unfortunately it's not as simple as that. For years, we've negotiated with Mr. Dolan and Cablevision....every year or so when rates are bumped, I'd call retention to make a deal.

We've had internet, phone and cable with one provider and in theory you'd think we could shop for other deals. But there's the old 'collusion' network out there and everyone prices 'similarly'.

This month I got a letter with the annual bump and called again. I couldn't get any promotions or discounts - apparently had used them all up! If I cancel cable, and only get internet/phone, they eliminate the triple package 'discount'. If I want their phone service, need to bundle with at least internet. I'd like to give up phone service entirely but can't because it's tied to our alarm system...get the picture

Fios and Verizon aren't available here, and AT&T service stinks and is equally expensive. Dish and/or Satellite won't work with the tree lines, etc.!
OP says he has HBO - surely that isn't part of a basic cable package?
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:22 pm

aereo.com, if available in your area, will give you the network channels for $8/month.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Diamond
I get most of what I want through a combo of Netflix and Hulu Plus.

On your Roku, you can add the private channel JUSTINTV

There are always a few people broadcasting any given sporting event on there.
Old Dec 31, 2013, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Cable companies have gotten wise to people calling in and demanding discounts to continue service. What sometimes works if you want to keep service but want a lower price is to actually cancel... especially if you see new customer offers advertised on their website that you would take but they won't allow you to have. I've called in two or three days into my billing cycle started and told them to cancel my service at the end of my current cycle. This will sometimes get you a reasonable retention offer, sometimes not. If not, I let them process the cancellation. Three or four days later, I've received calls back with better retention offers, often matching or beating the new customer offers. I never had any intention of actually canceling - if they hadn't called back with a retention offer, I'd have just called back in a few days before the end of my cycle and told them to keep it on, that I hadn't had time to switch. I've never had to call back.

Last edited by javabytes; Dec 31, 2013 at 9:47 pm
Old Dec 31, 2013, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by ScottC
OP says he has HBO - surely that isn't part of a basic cable package?
You're right, HBO is not part of basic package. I have only the basic package [without HBO and all the movie channels], and together with phone/internet, the monthly charge has now been bumped to $160+, effective Jan 1, 2014. If I drop cable tv completely, the internet/phone is still a ridiculous $90++/month.

Old Jan 1, 2014, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Might be cheating a bit. my parent's have an extra tv, and we put a slingbox there. With the new roku app for iphone and android I can sling their tv to my tv. Works well for me, I pay them the $7 for the extra cable box.

Baring that MLB TV is good, i could watch brewers games pretty much anywhere (the app for my phone and tablet was nice); Also have Hulu+ and my sister and I share a netflix account.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:39 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
3 years cable free

1. all mobile phones, no land lines. Google phones so you have "free" tethering
2. high speed internet, but basically anything 5 mbs down and you should be fine
3. Hulu+, netflix, Amazon Prime.
4. Roku, chromecast and slingbox are extras or toys.
5. Looking at Vudu but not sure I want it.
6. HD TV antenna for OTA in your neighborhood. We got the Mohu Leaf and it does work better for us.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...door-antennas/
7. A good VPN. We have streamed Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon in about 20 countries, so the value of our subscriptions is amplified.
8. An extra phone using GrooveIP or Spare Phone can be used as a home phone on your home internet connection if you want that.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by boerne
1. all mobile phones, no land lines. Google phones so you have "free" tethering
2. high speed internet, but basically anything 5 mbs down and you should be fine
3. Hulu+, netflix, Amazon Prime.
4. Roku, chromecast and slingbox are extras or toys.
5. Looking at Vudu but not sure I want it.
6. HD TV antenna for OTA in your neighborhood. We got the Mohu Leaf and it does work better for us.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-th...door-antennas/
7. A good VPN. We have streamed Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon in about 20 countries, so the value of our subscriptions is amplified.
8. An extra phone using GrooveIP or Spare Phone can be used as a home phone on your home internet connection if you want that.
Hola Unblocker Chrome plug in works wonders. I've been able to stream UK only BBC programmes, as well as Canadian Big Brother.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 8:54 am

snowing here in the ne so I have some time.

You will still need internet so what I will speak of is how to eliminate your tv part of cable.

You can also eliminate your phone if you already have not done so by going on ebay and purchasing a Linksys PAP2 and signing up with Callcentric.

First you will need a ROKU box. They just had a eoy sale so no problem getting the 3 with the usb port for under $100.

Second, depending on what part of the country you live in you may have access to Aereo which for $8 a month you get local tv in HD (you could also put up an antenna if the $8 would bother you. Audiovox ANT751R DGTL is a good one.

You will also need a multi premium link generator that supports multiple filehosts. RPnet is a good choice. Having an eoy sale $8 a month.

You can get most movies and tv shows from DWFree, DownTR, or similar sites.

On your ROKU box you need to add the PLEX channel so you can stream whatever you want from your computer to your TV. That channel is free. I would also add Netflix for $8 a month and you cancel the tv part of your cable.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 9:32 am

You can also get US broadcast channels for free at ustvnow.com. You will need to sign up using a proxy server outside of the US (or actually being outside of US), but you can watch it after you sign up you can watch it anywhere in the world even without any proxy. You get a month of free HD, but after that you get low def, but it is not that bad. We watched the Dick Clark Rockin New Eve and the Time Square ball drop on it over new year's eve live. My house is too far from the OTA antennas so I cannot get any signal. I am hoping that aereo will come here soon. My cable wanted $40 per month minimum for any TV channels and I don't watch TV that often to justify paying that. And after the first year, it is $60 per month minimum.

I have a chromecast and a laptop with chrome browser and google cast extension. I can watch just about any TV shows on the networks own websites in HD and WITHOUT commercials by using Ad Block Plus on the browser. Except for Live Events I don't really miss TV that much. And with USTVNOW, I get to watch Live Events too.. just not in HD. Some of the live TV shows are live on website too, like the 2014 Rose Parade were live on KTLA website in HD. Now I just need to find a live HD NBC broadcast for Sochi Olympic in Feb...without cable sub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.