Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Will a Thai GSM chip work in my Sprint Iphone 5?

Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Hi All!

I currently have an iPhone 5 from the carrier sprint. They of course refuse to unlock my phone until my two year contract is up in August. I have seen on some sites that my phone would still work In Asia because Sprint only locks it for US based carriers. Is this the true?

When I get to Thailand in January will I be able to use a Thai GSM chip from one of their service providers and receive phone & data on my sprint phone? I ask because it seems like it is impossible for IOS 7 to be jailbroken as of yet and since sprint won't unlock it for me.

Thanks!

Appoliges for my Grammer. I'm Dyslexic.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles
Sprint allows unlocking of devices capable of GSM (e.g. iPhones) for international use only (outside of the USA). So yes it would work provided it was unlocked. For the iPhone, Sprint adds your device's ID (IMEI) to Apple's server/list and all you need to do is to sync your device in iTunes and it will be unlocked (do this before-hand). You need to call Sprint's international department to get this done. There are some requirements like having your bill paid on time and a certain few months into the contract (3 I believe) but you can verify online/with Sprint.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by willzzz88
Sprint allows unlocking of devices capable of GSM (e.g. iPhones) for international use only (outside of the USA). So yes it would work provided it was unlocked. For the iPhone, Sprint adds your device's ID (IMEI) to Apple's server/list and all you need to do is to sync your device in iTunes and it will be unlocked (do this before-hand). You need to call Sprint's international department to get this done. There are some requirements like having your bill paid on time and a certain few months into the contract (3 I believe) but you can verify online/with Sprint.
Thank you Willzzz!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.