FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Travel Technology (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology-169/)
-   -   Iphone & Android Phone. Which one will you choose? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-technology/1523012-iphone-android-phone-one-will-you-choose.html)

dycam111 Nov 19, 2013 2:59 am

Iphone & Android Phone. Which one will you choose?

I am using my Iphone 4 for almost 2 years more already and now I thinking to change to Samsung. All friends around me are using Samsung Product and according to them their features are more strong. For me, I like their big screen and their variety of android apps. But my budget around RM1500-RM1700. Do you think i can have this phone?

gfunkdave Nov 19, 2013 7:02 am

WElcome to FlyerTalk, dycam111.

I'm surprised not to have found an existing thread on the subject. If someone does, please bring it to my attention and I'll merge. Please don't let this devolve into an Apple/anti-Apple rant thread.

/mod

DeafFlyer Nov 19, 2013 7:58 am

Get whichever you want and can afford. Me, I just upgraded from an iPhone 4 to an iPhone 5c. I'm very happy. It's a great speed improvement. That's me though. Both Android and Apple iOS are pretty good, so you really can't go wrong with either one.

EmptyKim Nov 19, 2013 10:03 am

I just went from an iPhone 5 to 5s. There wasn't enough in the Android camp that was amazing enough to make the jump yet. Gear looks cool, Note was def a contender, Nexus not available on Verizon.

LAXlocal Nov 19, 2013 4:48 pm

a 5 inch screen iPhone...........oops its not here yet :)

DTW-HomeyFour Nov 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Having had both a Galaxy S2 and an iPhone 4S, I would say I preferred the Android phone, mostly because of its flexibility, and better features. It annoys me on my iPhone that I can't have a seperate volume setting for texts, emails, ringer, etc. Sadly, my only option from work with the Galaxy was with T-Mobile, and at home and the place I travel to for work, my signal was terrible on T-Mobile. I had better signal in Mexico than at home. The only other option was an AT&T iPhone, which is what I have now. It's OK for what it does, I just don't like it as much. Too locked down, and too new of an iOS to jailbreak!

weekilter Nov 19, 2013 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by LAXlocal (Post 21815971)
a 5 inch screen iPhone...........oops its not here yet :)

Hard to believe that anyone could want a phone that's not as big as a tablet, eh? :)

aster Nov 20, 2013 12:44 am

Originally Posted by dycam111 (Post 21811287)
I am using my Iphone 4 for almost 2 years more already and now I thinking to change to Samsung.

Think again. Since you use an iPhone, go into a Samsung store and play around with one of their phones for several minutes. Chances are you'll forget about switching altogether and be very happy to stick to your iPhone (or get a newer model).

FabBKK Nov 20, 2013 1:14 am

I had iPhone(s) before and switched to Galaxy S3 in 2012

Android / Samsung (ie: S3):
Software and UI flexibility,
Larger screen,
Removable battery (easy to carry and change battery)
Memory card up to 64Gb (nice to be able to carry up to 128Gb of docs, pictures, films, music, etc. at the same time, and to able to switch memory cards too)

The only case I'll go for an iPhone... if I've a laptop / desktop from Apple

Just my 2 cents ;-)

MAN Pax Nov 20, 2013 2:49 am

I moved from an iPhone 4 to the Google Nexus. Price/Performance wise it blows the iPhone out of the water.

Not a huge apps user - 90% of my use is mail, messaging, maps and calendar. All the apps I had on my phone are there on Android.

I also have a Nexus 7 tablet and use Gmail as a personal calendar and contacts list - all work seamlessly from PC to devices.

I loved my iPhone 3Gs and there was nothing at the time to beat it. Now there is.

regisp1 Nov 20, 2013 10:58 am

Depends. When you were a kid did you enjoy building model cars or just playing with toy cars?

If you liked building model cars than you'd be happy with an android. All sorts of widgets/options to configure/play with.

If you liked just taking a pre-built toy car out of the box and start playing with it then the iPhone is for you. Not much to screw with, just start using it.

bawr Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by aster (Post 21818147)
Think again. Since you use an iPhone, go into a Samsung store and play around with one of their phones for several minutes. Chances are you'll forget about switching altogether and be very happy to stick to your iPhone (or get a newer model).

I did exactly what you suggested yesterday and have to agree. One gets the impression that a Samsung phone is merely a list of specs and features, while the iPhone is a clean, well though out, and balanced product.

I will be switching to the iPhone 5s (from a Nokia E series).

SpaceCoastBill Dec 1, 2013 8:17 pm

After having every iPhone from the first model, and ordering them all on day one, I thought I would stay with IOS. I got sick of their closed system, and really tired of waiting for a jailbreak for each new version. I tried a Galaxy S3 and sold my new iPhone 5 and never went back. The large screen is impressive. I got an S4 and now have a Note 3. Much more flexible and the screen size is huge.

I dont see myself going back to apple any time soon.

RhubarbPie Dec 1, 2013 8:24 pm

My husband and I decided to both get Note 3s. We were in Korea for a month and a half visiting family and everyone had a Note. My husband promptly dropped his in the toilet a few weeks after getting it (thank you chase purchase protection for covering that and promptly sending me a check lol). So he has an iphone again. But I really like my Note so far. Some functions seem slightly less stable than my iphone. But i LOVE the screen size and I use the s-pen all the time. And the screen doesn't seem big at all. When I use an iphone now, it seems way too tiny to do anything productive.

Yub Dec 1, 2013 9:13 pm

I've been using Android phones for three years now. Last year I got an iPad, and was impressed with it enough that I was thinking about switching to an iPhone. However, the lack of Swype and wifi calling is enough to keep me on Android (and T-Mobile) for now, and I just upgraded from a Galaxy S III to a Note 3.