Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Is going full on with nexus 7 possible?

Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA

I read with interest the thread discussing going ipad all the time and wondered if the same was possible with a nexus 7 (or any android tablet)?

I currently use mine as my main tool however find a large number websites forcing me to use their mobile site instead of their desktop design and the email app is really terrible.

What are the recommended apps for documents, email etc? Does anyone else use the device as their main driver? Would love to hear your experiences.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 4:36 pm

I'm using my 2nd Gen Nexus 7 4G as my daily driver until the Nexus 5 comes out.

I use the GMail app for mail, but then I use Google Apps as my provider, so that fits pretty much hand in glove.

CSipSimple + voip.ms for calls, Viber for IM, Google Voice for SMS, QuickOffice for docs. Works really well. Great for movies on the plane, Kindle App works great, Zinio looks great.

Only gripe is that I need slightly larger pants pockets.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. My email is with yahoo and their own app is a mess at the moment so I have to use the stock app. I'll check out the others you mentioned.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 6:51 pm

Dolphin Browser for Android lets you change the way it identifies itself to sites. It can claim to be a desktop browser so that you get the desktop site. However, sites that use Flash, Java, or other plugins won't work right.

For documents, you can try Google's QuickOffice, which is now free.

I use K-9 mail for e-mail. I run my own IMAP mail server.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
You can side load flash and certain browsers will then run flash and there are a number of browsers that handle flash reasonably well on Android.

Relative to going to a tablet for all needs, a lot depends on one's use profile. For work for me, no way. On vacation, I've gone over completely to a tablet. In fact, I ditched my Nexus 7 3g for a Samsung Mega which fuses my phone and tablet into one device. My wife travels with her N7 3g. We take along a full-sized bluetooth keyboard. All together, with smaller power supplies, etc, much less bulk and all the functionality.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 10:43 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
documents to go, spare phone, and gmail for me but you can bring in non gmail accounts like yahoo, etc. I am waiting to get the 2013 Nexus 7 4G due to ATT/Google blocking out the mobile hotspot in the newest stock android. I will decline to root my newest N7 when I get it, but my old one is rooted. I use a bluetooth keyboard and my Ankur external battery recharges it nicely for extended use.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions.

I have the WiFi only option but I'm happy tethering it to my phone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.