Search

samsung galaxy s4

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA PUALANI GOLD
samsung galaxy s4

HI all
does anyone here have the Samsung galaxy s4 I am thinking about getting one would like to know your thoughts about this phone.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 9:47 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I've had mine since April on ATT. I've really enjoyed it in general. Installing the Google Phone Edition ROM made it a notably better phone. I'm currently running the 4.3 Google Edition ROM and it is far-and-away the best Android experience I've ever had. The only other phones I would consider as on-par with the S4 are the HTC One and Moto X. If I were buying today, I would probably strongly consider the Moto X for its better battery life and near-stock Android out of the box. The Active Notifications feature of the Moto X is also great, but easily mimicked on any other android phone using the DynamicNotifications app.

My only real complaint with the S4 is the back cover... its extremely slick/glossy and is a fingerprint and grease magnet. I replaced it with an aftermarket textured carbon-fiber battery cover (I don't like cases) which gives it a much better look and feel. I also use a matte screen protector, but I've used these on all my phones for several years to help fight fingerprints.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Love mine, but switching to the Note 3 today...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: DL; MileagePlus; other airlines
Just got one a few weeks ago, love it so far

Have a little issue with the battery life - seems to be running out quickly, but I think it's related to my screen - not the phone itself
Old Oct 4, 2013, 2:02 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Didn't upgrade

I'd planned to buy one outright, but decided not to. It didn't tempt me at the time, but those of you have replaced the Samsung experience with (sanctioned?) Google roms have me tempted. Out of the box, I think find the HTC One delivers a great experience (certainly prefer it to my S3).
Old Oct 4, 2013, 5:48 pm

Since this thread is about the S4, what would be the difference between Verizon's, at&t's and Google Play's version of the S4 other than networks? My mum is considering an S4.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by maortega15
Since this thread is about the S4, what would be the difference between Verizon's, at&t's and Google Play's version of the S4 other than networks? My mum is considering an S4.
The Play version comes unlocked, is a vanilla Android and doesn't have all the bloat junk that Verizon and ATT will put on their devices.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by tkey75
The Play version comes unlocked, is a vanilla Android and doesn't have all the bloat junk that Verizon and ATT will put on their devices.
What kind of bloat junk does Verizon and at&t put? I'm sure there are differences on the junk they put but I'd like to know what.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What kind of bloat junk does Verizon and at&t put? I'm sure there are differences on the junk they put but I'd like to know what.
I'm a Sprint guy and dispatched with those apps long ago, but I'll try and recall the vast list of crap I removed:

Sprint ID
Sprint international call helper
Sprint Zones
Sprint app store
IZAT GPS helper
Kid mode app one
kid mode app two
HTC sync
HTC backup
HTC twitter
HTC facebook
HTC linkedin
some screensharing app that didn't work
some navigation app
a variety of games I would never play

I'm sure that's only a partial list.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:33 am

I'm a Sprint guy and dispatched with those apps long ago, but I'll try and recall the vast list of crap I removed:

Sprint ID
Sprint international call helper
Sprint Zones
Sprint app store
IZAT GPS helper
Kid mode app one
kid mode app two
HTC sync
HTC backup
HTC twitter
HTC facebook
HTC linkedin
some screensharing app that didn't work
some navigation app
a variety of games I would never play

I'm sure that's only a partial list.
I guess the Play version would be best?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess the Play version would be best?
That'd be my choice, but I like the vanilla android experience. I just have no use for the above list and think the android launcher works just fine.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:38 am

Would the Note 3 come in a Play version?
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would the Note 3 come in a Play version?
Dunno, but for the slightly more adventurous, there's always ways to make most any Android phone into a Play edition.
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:43 am

Dunno, but for the slightly more adventurous, there's always ways to make most any Android phone into a Play edition.
You just got to delete the bs that comes with it right?!
Old Oct 5, 2013, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You just got to delete the bs that comes with it right?!
It's a little trickier than that. Typically those apps are tied to the rom and undeletable. The solution is to completely wipe the phone and flash a new rom. In many cases, the actual Google Play edition is available. If not, I highly recommend Cyanogen. Basically the same thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.