Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Blackberry Announcement this Week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What's the best option for a keyboard loving Palm Treophile?
BlackBerry Q10 - It's the best QWERTY out there, and worth it even if BlackBerry dies.
36.67%
BlackBerry Bold - You obviously like old phones, so try an old Blackberry first.
13.33%
Motorola Admiral - Use the keyboard to learn a viable OS, later adapt to touchscreen typingl
0%
Windows Phone – Treo Pro uses Windows Mobile, so move to a touchscreen in a familiar ecosystem.
6.67%
Galaxy or iPhone - Get over it already!
46.67%
Other - leave a note in the thread, and I'll create new options if you have suggestions.
3.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Blackberry Announcement this Week

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:35 pm

I been waiting for a new qwerty from blackberry and got the q10 when it was first released.

I also have a S4 and nexus 4. I sold the S4 today since I do not need that many backup phones and didnt see the benefits of s4 over nexus 4 for over double the price.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Announcements (or just news):
BB Unveils new Z30 flagship phone
BB to slash workforce by up to 40%
BlackBerry's BBM chat coming to Android, iPhone this weekend
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold since '02, Hertz President's Circle since '07
Originally Posted by Rut Dog
4) The event is being promoted globally, and since their strongest markets are overseas (the Middle East, India, and Southeast Asia), they could be hoping the global press will trumpet the "Return of BlackBerry!" with a competitive premium modern (touchscreen :-( ) device.[/INDENT]
Ha, I didn't realize the "global event" was being held in Malaysia!

This is it, their last great hope for sales: BlackBerry Unveils the Z30 in Malaysia
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Great -- but now that pretty much everyone has left BBM for all of the other platform-independent apps (Whatsapp, etc.) wh is going to install and use this? While I love the BB, this is another case of too little way way way too late. Someone above said he had gone from 150 BBM contacts to 4. I've noticed a similar decline to near zero (though I never had 150).
Old Sep 19, 2013, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rut Dog
don't like touch screen
I'm starting to feel the need to give in:

Background:

Blackberry user and then 3 (?) years ago:

Motorola Droid Pro (full keyboard not slide out) - out of production but can still get elsewhere.

Its slowwwwwinnnnggggg down. 3G + apps are getting bulkier and everything is slowwwwing down.

As someone said elsewhere - click on an icon (i.e. Waze) and depending on 3G / GPS connectivity: WAIT.

Its starting to get seriously an issue (was in New York last week Wednesday - Tuesday) and could really feel the slowness when in the city.

Options:

1. Used my co-workers touchscreen Android something and wow - just took forever to text and email.

2. Doesn't leave me with many QWERTY options: Q10???

I might try to survive the slowness for awhile but I know that sooner or later a touchscreen will be only option left.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bowdenj
1. Used my co-workers touchscreen Android something and wow - just took forever to text and email.
If you do eventually go the touchscreen/Android route, please make a real effort (30 minutes at least) learning Swype. Actually, the Google Keyboard has its own version which I've heard works well, too.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
If you do eventually go the touchscreen/Android route, please make a real effort (30 minutes at least) learning Swype. Actually, the Google Keyboard has its own version which I've heard works well, too.
My BIL swears by Swype. Took him a while to get proficient, but now he loves it.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott Titanium
As someone who's had about 8 different Blackberrys and 3 Treo phones, including a foray into WebOS (still have my Pre phones), and now Android, I would recommend the Q10 over the other choices for a few reasons:

1. The Q10 has the best keyboard I've ever used. I own both a Q10 and a 9930 and love the Q10 keyboard (the 9930 was the best until I tried the Q10). I've owned probably 10 different qwerty keyboard phones.

2. If you have a Treo still, you aren't one of those app people who insist on having Instagram and all the other silliness. BB10 is lacking, for sure, but has many core programs and the catalog is still expanding.

3. It's terrific for messaging - BBM, email, the hub that unifies everything, notifications, etc.

4. Web browsing is actually awesome on it - much better than previous versions.

5. There is no replacement for a qwerty keyboard.

The android phones with keyboard are mostly cheaply made with low end processors that are designed more for ruggedness and industrial use than business professionals - think field techs and the like. I personally would also pick the Q10 over the 9900 just because Blackberry is trying very hard to move to OS10, which is not going to be available on their older models.

As someone else said, if you have a tablet device, you're getting all the same functionality and the app richness from and android/ios device which would give you the freedom to have a phone that does a few things well (messaging and calls). A lot of people talk about the concept of three screens - the idea that you have a PC, a smartphone, and a tablet. I vary that a little bit by having two cell phones - an android phone for music, video, heavy web browsing, reading, and app enjoyment, and the Blackberry for messaging, calling, any email, BBM, and throwing at people. It's worked well for me and I like that I can put both in my pocket.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 4:21 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
The news today is that the announcement had nothing to do with new phones etc. It is slashing staff to try to cut costs.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24182038
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

NPR on-air headline: "BlackBerry is getting moldy" looool
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Reporting on the iPhone release, Katy Tur of NBC News added a footnote about the BlackBerry layoffs, concluding, "It seems, unfortunately, people do not appreciate buttons or keyboards anymore."

She appeared genuinely chagrined as she held up her trusty Bold.

"Like I really want to update copy on deadline with an iPhone keyboard. Sigh."

Last edited by Rut Dog; Sep 22, 2013 at 8:07 pm
Old Sep 23, 2013, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
BlackBerry has been acquired by a private equity firm for $4.7B.

http://bgr.com/2013/09/23/blackberry...ancial-buyout/
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:09 am
Original Poster

Price Point?

I wonder why none of the coverage this past week has mentioned price point? At $200 subsidized, the Q10 is forced to compete with top selling iPhones and Samsungs.

If you have cash to burn (BlackBerry does) and are desperate for market share, why not slash the price? Sales would surge if BlackBerry gave away phones for the next 3 months, through Christmas.

I know it isn't sustainable, but neither is BlackBerry at this price point. Slash now, grow market share, develop alternate revenue streams (apps!), raise price with growing demand.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:27 am
GAC
Suspended

Im a old BB fan and still using the 9930 but let's face it, it's over Johnny.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
BB is now selling direct. If they were to slash the price I'd probably be up for buying a Q1... $549 is not a discounted price. But I'm in no rush.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.