Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

IPhone or SmartPhone?

IPhone or SmartPhone?

Old Aug 6, 13, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

IPhone or SmartPhone?

I was born without the tech gene and I think my PC missed a couple assenmbly line checkups ~ its favorite mantra is "this program is not responding.

I've tried to research the differences between the two, but it also likes to freeze! ~ It's only 3 feet way from a window on the third floor, but my threats of chucking it out results in it behaving for a minute or two.

As I mentioned I'm not savvy at all ~ all I want is to be able to receive and make calls; to text messages and receive; to get wi-fi; to take decent photos; to send & upload the photos. I won't be following the stockmarket, nor will I watch TV or movies, play games.

I know the majority of you are very well versed in how these things work and I'm sorry to bother you, but anyone else's advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks!
Old Aug 6, 13, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA Silver
From your requirements, I'm not sure either is good for you. Just get a flip phone. There are a number of flip phones with decent cameras.

I have an iPhone and am very happy with it. One of my parents has an Android and she (like you it sounds) is not too tech savvy. She does not care for it. Just too many options and just in general more complicated than my iPhone.

I'd definitely go to a store and play with a touchscreen phone first (doesn't matter Android or iPhone). They aren't for everyone.
Old Aug 6, 13, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have an iphone and love it. I find it very intuitive, and I am not particulaly techy! The photos I have been taking on it are very good for a phone, sending them is very straightforward, texing and calls are easy. The downside is the cost, they are (here at least) significantly more expensive than other smart phones.
Old Aug 6, 13, 1:51 pm

First of all, I love your thread title.

Second, try not to be too disappointed when this thread follows the typical iPhone vs. other phones path, it's inevitable and not personal.

Third, I'd recommend that you get an iPhone if you don't have to pay a premium for it. In my opinion an iPhone is a perfect choice for a less tech-savvy user and I recommend it for all my friends and relatives who fall into that category. Some of the same features that make it a non-starter for an Android fan (like myself) such as lack of customization make it a great choice for somebody who just wants a device that performs essential tasks well without much tinkering.
Old Aug 6, 13, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by dolcevita View Post
First of all, I love your thread title.

Second, try not to be too disappointed when this thread follows the typical iPhone vs. other phones path, it's inevitable and not personal.

Third, I'd recommend that you get an iPhone if you don't have to pay a premium for it. In my opinion an iPhone is a perfect choice for a less tech-savvy user and I recommend it for all my friends and relatives who fall into that category. Some of the same features that make it a non-starter for an Android fan (like myself) such as lack of customization make it a great choice for somebody who just wants a device that performs essential tasks well without much tinkering.
+1

I should have mentioned this. If you can get an iPhone 4 or 4S for $0-$99, I'd stick with the iPhone. I would not pay $200 (plus upgrade fee, tax, whatever the hell else they charge these days) for an iPhone 5. This is the reason my Mom got an Android. She just couldn't see paying $250 (all in) for a cell phone.
Old Aug 6, 13, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow you guys have cheap phones down there! Mine was more than double that I think!
Old Aug 6, 13, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SE, Marriott Silver, Omni Select Plat
Seriously, there's a trove of really good phones out there now.

The iPhone is one - although premium priced.
The HTC One is another - it has the Sense UI which I found to be very intuitive in an earlier incarnation.
The Galaxy S3 or S4 - both great phones with cracking cameras, and pretty good user interface.
And dare I offer up the Blackberry Z10 - a very underrated phone and already heavily discounted, here in the UK at least. If I'd delayed my upgrade a few months (I have an S3), this is the phone I would have gotten.

I would suggest any of those phones will offer a great user experience.

To add; I'd skip the Lumia range. I wouldn't want the limited and expensive apps from Windows Store.
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
To put it simply: if you want a pretty nice phone with lots of features, and you don't mind having strictly Apple content on board, go with an iPhone. If you want the ability to customize, use content from various sources, and are at least a little tech-savvy, go with an Android.

My wife has an iPhone, and I learned the hard way that it doesn't play nice with not-Apple stuff.
Old Aug 6, 13, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG View Post
My wife has an iPhone, and I learned the hard way that it doesn't play nice with not-Apple stuff.
I wouldn't say that. iPhones work fine with PC's and most (if not all) content providers (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) have iPhone apps. The issue is you can't keep all your media in one place (you have to launch different apps to play iTunes media vs Amazon media). On the other hand, you can't play iTunes media at all on Android phones.

Either way, from the OP post, I doubt this is a concern.
Old Aug 7, 13, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by emma69 View Post
Wow you guys have cheap phones down there! Mine was more than double that I think!
Did you buy yours on a contract or no term? How much memory? The Iphone 4 8GB is free on a 2 year contract at most places now, 4S is $79 on 3 years while the Iphone 5 16GB is $179 on a 3 year term. I paid $149 for my 16GB 4S on a 3 year term the weekend it came out, and I'm pretty sure the 5 was that price when it debuted at most places. I suspect the person you quoted was also talking about phones on a contract, not bought outright.
Old Aug 7, 13, 4:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL Kryptonium Medallion
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33 View Post
I wouldn't say that. iPhones work fine with PC's and most (if not all) content providers (Netflix, HBO, Hulu, Amazon, etc.) have iPhone apps. The issue is you can't keep all your media in one place (you have to launch different apps to play iTunes media vs Amazon media). On the other hand, you can't play iTunes media at all on Android phones.

Either way, from the OP post, I doubt this is a concern.
I play music purchased on iTunes on my Android phone.

People who sell mobile phones seem to recommend iPhones for people who don't want as much customization (read: complexity) or already own a lot of Apple products.

I would highly consider going without a contract on one of the 3rd party carriers like Virgin Mobile or Straight Talk. Yes, you will have to pay for a phone, but the cost over 2+ years is often a lot less.
Old Aug 7, 13, 4:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond; My Mom's Favorite Kid
I have an iPod Touch and a cheap StrightTalk android phone. Honestly I don't see much of a difference. Both play music well. Both can be used to read digital books. Both have a wide variety of apps. The difference is that my android phone does not have access to iTunes (that I know of). This is not a big deal, however. I just use my amazon account to buy music/video/books I want. The big advantage here is that I can access that content on my phone, my iPod, my laptop, my Kindle, or basically anywhere with an internet connection. Amazon Apps have basically made iTunes obsolete.

For a person who has no experience with a smart phone the learning curve will be the same with an android as with an iPhone. Knowing one platform makes learning the other easier that is all.

I will say that I kind of like the android better than the iPod in terms of functionality. Having Home, Back, Menu, and Search buttons is really nice when compared to the single Home button on the iPhone/iTouch devices.

For the money a person who has very basic needs, I think that a cheap Android on a cheap plan is the way to go. I'm a fan of buying the phone out right and getting a no contract plan. My on StraightTalk's $45/month unlimited everything plan with a $150 android phone that I own outright. If they give me crappy service I can take my business elsewhere. I'm not stuck with any company for 2 or 3 years.
Old Aug 7, 13, 5:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K .97MM, IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by redheadtempe33 View Post

+1

I should have mentioned this. If you can get an iPhone 4 or 4S for $0-$99, I'd stick with the iPhone. I would not pay $200 (plus upgrade fee, tax, whatever the hell else they charge these days) for an iPhone 5. This is the reason my Mom got an Android. She just couldn't see paying $250 (all in) for a cell phone.
Completely disagree. The resale will be higher on the i5 for various reasons, it has LTE and the current connector.

The savings debate isn't to be had about which phone. It should be about whether to sign up for a plan or not. 2 yrs of service costs $1200-$2400. Who cares $100 v $200 at that point (especially since the $200 will be recovered via trade in or resale). If you are debating the phone you already lost the big debate.

Non iPhone doesn't resale so well.
Old Aug 7, 13, 6:38 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
bias: I have an iPhone5 and had an iPhone4 before that.

comparing photos from a recent trip with a friend to Vegas and Hawaii, my iPhone5 took better panoramic shots and certain pics, but in general her Samsung S4 took better night photos. Daytime photos was a mixed bag.

They'll both do wifi and internet browsing equally well - though I find the Android/Samsung interface less friendly. (I'm a software engineer so fairly tech-savvy, but I prefer using the iphone to the android phones - I also find the same on my Dad's HTC One (android))

(I'm also going to caution against going to a phone very limited in what it does because you'd "never want to do X number of things" - I couldn't see much use for an iPad until I was given one, now I find very few reasons to take my laptop with me)
Old Aug 7, 13, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by uastarflyer View Post
Non iPhone doesn't resale so well.
I think the resale value on the higher end Android phones is comparable to iPhones. But I wouldn't let a $50-100 difference resale value 2+ years down the road influence what phone I bought today...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: