Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

iPad 3 vs iPad 4 ?

iPad 3 vs iPad 4 ?

Old Aug 1, 13, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Question iPad 3 vs iPad 4 ?

Since I have a Macbook Air and an iPhone I have never found a niche for wanting or needing an iPad, but an upcoming month long non-business trip is compelling me to pick up a used or refurbished one. Can anyone who moved from the 3 to the 4 comment on why you did that, i.e. noticeably faster, better graphics (they both have retina displays) etc? Will not use this for games or music, but for web access and to bring a few movies along or stream when I get there. Also black vs white (I know this is preference but anyone bought either that they really disliked?) Advise appreciated.

(Might well wait and spring for the new one if they were coming out next week, but need it before it will be easily available which is why I am just getting a used one for now and am trying to get the least expensive version of "great" )

Last edited by mstraveler; Aug 1, 13 at 7:19 pm Reason: forgotten question
Old Aug 1, 13, 6:39 pm

#1 son (64gb) and I both own the 2 (32gb), Mrs. the 3, #2 son has the 4, both16gb. For your indicated usage, get as much storage as you can afford. Differences in 2,3, n 4 negligible except for retina display, and battery life (2 is better than newer models).

POV
Old Aug 1, 13, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by dtsm View Post
#1 son (64gb) and I both own the 2 (32gb), Mrs. the 3, #2 son has the 4, both16gb. For your indicated usage, get as much storage as you can afford. Differences in 2,3, n 4 negligible except for retina display, and battery life (2 is better than newer models).

POV
Thanks dtsm. I started out looking at 64, but then did some more research (since they were all pricey) and added up my usage and figured even 16 might be enough. But point taken and helpful to know that other differences not that big of a deal. Maybe I should just start looking at the 2's for my purposes.
Old Aug 1, 13, 8:15 pm

I have had the 3 since it came out. It has since been discontinued but I am more then pleased with it's performance. I upgraded from a 1 that I bought when they were first released. I am an Apple Fanboy :-) but doubt that I will get the next generation IPhone or iPad; I have an IPhone 5, IPad 3, and MacBook Pro.

There is nothing wrong with the 3 if you can find one.....
Old Aug 1, 13, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
IMHO, I would get an iPad 4 for 128GB (3 maxes out at 64GB), and if you have the iPhone 5, it uses the same connector.. The iPad 3 uses the old 40 pin connector..
Old Aug 1, 13, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I have a couple of 2's, and they work fine. I've never used one with Retina display, so I'd probably try to check one out and see if it makes a big difference to you.

No music or stored videos would indicate buying a base 16gb wifi model. That's what I have, and I do have a lot of music and pictures. I'd get a 32 for my next one, given my usage.
Old Aug 1, 13, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Can't go wrong with either one. The 4 has a better connector, and it is snappier than the 3, but not enough to say that its worth a huge premium.

Pick the one that has the same connector as your iPhone. Easier.
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skofarrell View Post
Can't go wrong with either one. The 4 has a better connector, and it is snappier than the 3, but not enough to say that its worth a huge premium.

Pick the one that has the same connector as your iPhone. Easier.
Ah right. There is the connector issue also. Appreciate all of the info.
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:20 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
now that I'm on an iPhone5 (from a 4), I would definitely prefer an iPad4 over the 3 that I have - the connector issue is a pain (I'd also like 128GB since I load my ipad up with LOTS of video)
Old Aug 2, 13, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
Thanks dtsm. I started out looking at 64, but then did some more research (since they were all pricey) and added up my usage and figured even 16 might be enough.
As others have reiterated, your storage requirements will jump quickly once you started using the iPad, especially if you don't carry laptop. My iPad 2 turns 2 yrs old today and when my kids bought for me, they debated whether to up to 64gb.....32gb is now probably the absolutely minimum!

Re connector, point well taken. But carrying two connectors isn't too much of an inconvenience
Old Aug 2, 13, 3:34 am

you can also get an adapter that holds an SD card.......
Old Aug 2, 13, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAXlocal View Post
you can also get an adapter that holds an SD card.......
I knew there were no ports but probably should have assumed an adapter would be developed. Very useful to know; will figure out if it works with the older models or only the most recent.
Old Aug 3, 13, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Plat
I knew there were no ports but probably should have assumed an adapter would be developed. Very useful to know; will figure out if it works with the older models or only the most recent.
The adapter would be an external device that connects to the iPad via Wifi and an app... works with all iPads. There isn't really a way to have an SD card attached directly to the iPad. Apple has not enabled that functionality over the docking port.

http://www.airstash.com/

Something like that.

I would advocate getting the iPad 4 for you, since you have an iPhone 5. The 4 has a better battery life than the 3 and does not get quite as hot either thanks to the updated CPU/GPU inside.
Old Aug 4, 13, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
The adapter would be an external device that connects to the iPad via Wifi and an app... works with all iPads. There isn't really a way to have an SD card attached directly to the iPad. Apple has not enabled that functionality over the docking port.

http://www.airstash.com/

Something like that.

I would advocate getting the iPad 4 for you, since you have an iPhone 5. The 4 has a better battery life than the 3 and does not get quite as hot either thanks to the updated CPU/GPU inside.
Thanks for clarification about the adapter. Helpful, and appreciate input from all. I ended up deciding the iPad 2 - 32 GB was the sweet spot for me right now for what I need. Wanted the same power connector as my phone (still the 4) and figure in a year or so I can get the new phone and new iPad together. The iPad 2 will be fine for my trip (found a decent deal on eBay).
Old Aug 4, 13, 2:15 pm

I ended up deciding the iPad 2 - 32 GB was the sweet spot for me right now for what I need.
Good choice, hopefully you got a good price.

Is 3G, or Wifi only? Hopefully 3G as you can then buy prepaid sim card[s] for data when wifi not available....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: