Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Technology
Reload this Page >

Google Chromecast

Google Chromecast

Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
I heard from someone at G that Netflix will require a US IP address, but otherwise it should work ok overseas. We'll see.
I'm not so sure about that. PAL systems use a different frame rate -- 25/50 fps as opposed to 30/60 in the US. Higher end HDTVs in both areas also support 24 fps for film.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:13 am

Sounds like it may not work that well in hotels, assuming it has to go through the network.

The hotel wifi security might well prevent the dongle from being discoverable on the network. Then, if you can only play internet content, not local content from your device, the connection might well be too slow.

What I would like to see if a dongle that same size that acts as a DLNA renderer. Then you could stream content from your device to the TV, but there would still be the wifi security issue.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Sounds like it may not work that well in hotels, assuming it has to go through the network.

The hotel wifi security might well prevent the dongle from being discoverable on the network. Then, if you can only play internet content, not local content from your device, the connection might well be too slow.

What I would like to see if a dongle that same size that acts as a DLNA renderer. Then you could stream content from your device to the TV, but there would still be the wifi security issue.
I would think the situation could be remedied with a travel router. That's what I do now when I want multiple devices with access to each other as well as the hotel netwowrk.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BigFlyer

Yes, some hotels block this traffic, but others do not. I am often amazed at seeing other peoples computers show up in my Finder on Mac, or Windows explorer on a PC. Also if I run Itunes I often see other peoples libraries and can even copy their music! In general, it seems that most US hotels have security and most non-US hotels do not. But again, just a generalization.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Bunches are now listed on eBay with bids as high as $71.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by docbert
Comes with 3 months NetFlix too, even for current NetFlix users, so net about $10 + tax.

Google is charging $4 shipping - Amazon has it with free shipping, and still includes the 3 months NetFlix.
When I click on the Amazon link it takes me to a generic Chromecast page saying it's available from these sellers (link) who are selling the device for $65-$119

Cheers.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Bunches are now listed on eBay with bids as high as $71.
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
When I click on the Amazon link it takes me to a generic Chromecast page saying it's available from these sellers (link) who are selling the device for $65-$119

Cheers.
Despite my .....ing and moaning, I ordered one yesterday -- for $35 PLUS 3 months of Netflix, it was a no-brainer, as it my net cost was $4.00 plus tax. It looks like I got in just under the wire. I checked my order status and it's there. It says, "not shipped" and Amazon will notify me by email when it does ship. The Amazon page shows it available from other sellers at prices ranging from $79 to $118.

My guess is they exhausted their inventory, as well as their expected shipments. I suspect Amazon will eventually catch up with itself and get more stock, which would drop it back down to the "Google price." The outside sellers are just speculators who are price gauging due to scarcity and demand.

For that kind of money, there really are better alternatives.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Ua Gold, GE.. Sucker for punishment
So if I read correct that app that will control this device over the local wifi network will be in Google Chrome and thus work on a Mac as well?

Yes.. for $35 it has me curious.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Originally Posted by docbert
Amazon will still let you order. No ETA for delivered, but you can always cancel anytime before it ships - and at least it gets you in the queue...
Yeah that's what I ended up doing.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:08 pm

Hmmm, I ordered from Amazon and it is now in the "shipping now" phase.

Looking on ebay, it seems like some of those sellers already have their hands on them, not clear how they got them so fast.

One seller sold 152 at $47.95 each with Buy it Now. I wonder how anyone amassed that many (and the seller has 100% positive feedback with a score of 1104, so probably not a scam.)
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:16 pm

phandroid is reporting the Netflix offer appears to be ending
http://phandroid.com/2013/07/25/chro...netflix-offer/
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG, Marriott, Hilton, Alaska
Is this available in Canada yet? Thanks!
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got mine, 2 minutes later, I'm watching Netflix on TV. Going to play with my Chromebook Pixel later too. Nice.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
How do you charge it? It seems like it'd be annoying to have to remove it to charge it all the time.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Originally Posted by richarddd
phandroid is reporting the Netflix offer appears to be ending
http://phandroid.com/2013/07/25/chro...netflix-offer/
Why is Google so retarded when it comes to product rollouts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.