Wiki Posts
Search

Google Chromecast

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Sold out on Amazon and Google
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cwilson830
Sold out on Amazon and Google
Amazon will still let you order. No ETA for delivered, but you can always cancel anytime before it ships - and at least it gets you in the queue...
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by dcpilgrim
...but good chance hotel tv's might.
Does does the Chromecast avoid this problem: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ighlight=hotel
Old Jul 24, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Does does the Chromecast avoid this problem: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ighlight=hotel
Uh, no.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:21 pm

If it works like DLNA devices, both the laptop/tablet/phone and the dongle would need to be on the same wifi network - which might be difficult in hotels.

I would hope that it would be more like a wifi direct situation where it would use wifi but you would not need to be connected to a router for it to work.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
A lot of hotel TV's these days have USB ports and I've had no problem plugging in a key that has .avi films. Works great. Why wouldn't it also work with HDMI and this new dongle?

But I have a question, will this dongle work if I carry it to Europe? HDMI is a global standard, but what else is happening under the covers? Any issues between NTSC and PAL? Is there a complete technical description of this gadget somewhere?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:32 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by stimpy
A lot of hotel TV's these days have USB ports and I've had no problem plugging in a key that has .avi films. Works great. Why wouldn't it also work with HDMI and this new dongle?
Did you read the thread? At least three out of four hotel tv's I encountered are locked down so tight that you can't feed from any other port.

I concur that where that is not the case, it's easy to use a USB drive or iPad-to-tv cable.

(And of course, there's often "interesting" issue of the physical contortions required to actually access those ports/inputs even if the tv is not electronically locked down)
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Did you read the thread? At least three out of four hotel tv's I encountered are locked down so tight that you can't feed from any other port.

I concur that where that is not the case, it's easy to use a USB drive or iPad-to-tv cable.

(And of course, there's often "interesting" issue of the physical contortions required to actually access those ports/inputs even if the tv is not electronically locked down)
Yes I saw that thread where some people have success and others don't. I first began to do this several years ago (2009 I think?) when the Intercontinental Nairobi installed new Samsung TV's in all the renovated rooms. As I have Samsung at home it was pretty easy. And most hotels I go, when I bother to use the USB, it works fine. And many of the higher end properties even have HDMI wall jacks, especially in Asia. I think all the MO's in Asia have had HDMI wall jacks for some time now. And new Intercontinentals have it too, like the new IC Westminster in London.

So back to Chromecast, will a US purchased device work at a non-US hotel like the IC Westminster that has an HDMI wall jack? Assuming the WiFi allows packets to freely pass between your i-device and Chromecast of course.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
(back) Ordered one on Amazon to see how it works. Am concerned about getting it connected to the hotel wifi but I'm also wondering how long it will be before I forget the thing in the hotel room when I check out.

I wonder if I will be able to get it to work with Plex?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by ne52
It's a good price but I'm not fully grasping the hype for hotel use yet. Not being snarky but can someone explain some of the excitement.
Since it's a dedicated device it frees up your tablet/notebook from being tied down as your media device.

I like to multitask and this would allow me to get some work done on my laptop while I have a movie or TV show in the background. Or I could stream Pandora to the hotel TV speakers and still read my tablet on the bed.

The biggest drawback is it relies heavily on apps to be created for it but hopefully many of the big players will jump on soon. I'd love to have Slingbox on it where I can basically recreate my home setup while I travel.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:35 am

Point taken on the ability to still use the tablet/laptop.

Coincidentally, Roku just dropped the price of the HD model (which can also be controlled via Android/iPhone) by $10 for the next couple of days.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by docbert
Comes with 3 months NetFlix too, even for current NetFlix users, so net about $10 + tax.

Google is charging $4 shipping - Amazon has it with free shipping, and still includes the 3 months NetFlix.

Here's a great review from someone that has one, including details like powering it (doesn't need power if it can draw from the TV), mobile device battery usage (basically unchanged) and some other info - Please Ignore the Idiots Who Haven't Even Used This Device - Opinions from a Developer
Link is broken.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:23 am

It appears the Chromecast can only stream from the internet, but can not stream movies, etc. from your computer (although presumably you could first upload to the cloud and then stream from there).

Am I missing something?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by richarddd
It appears the Chromecast can only stream from the internet, but can not stream movies, etc. from your computer (although presumably you could first upload to the cloud and then stream from there).

Am I missing something?
No, you're not though, presumably, at some point someone will write an app or program that will permit it.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
So back to Chromecast, will a US purchased device work at a non-US hotel like the IC Westminster that has an HDMI wall jack? Assuming the WiFi allows packets to freely pass between your i-device and Chromecast of course.
I heard from someone at G that Netflix will require a US IP address, but otherwise it should work ok overseas. We'll see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.