Reload this Page >

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 9, 2013, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: joshwex90
Israel has full-service carriers and MVNOs (to the consumer, there is ZERO difference between the 2!)

Full Service
  • Orange (also known as Partner Communications)
  • Cellcom - Promotion: 2 unlimited cellphone, 15 MBs home internet (sapak only), and home phone line with unlimited calling - NIS 199/month for 6 months (after which price increases to NIS 249)
  • Pelephone
  • HOT Mobile* (Note: stores are closed Saturday night, contrary to what's listed on the website). HOT Mobile customers benefit from free internet service ("sapak") through HOTnet (though must still purchase "tashtit."
  • Golan Telecom*

MVNOs*
  • Rami Levi Communications
  • YouPhone (also known as Alon Cellular) - Current promotion: NIS 39/month for first 4 months for unlimited talk/text and unlimited internet (speed throttled after 1GB). After 4 months, price goes up to NIS 79. Add NIS 10 to increase base internet to 3GB
  • Home Cellular
  • 012Smile - Roams off parent company, Orange

*None of these carriers work with BlackBerry. If you have a BlackBerry (including the new Q10 or Z10) and you get a SIM from any of these companies, calls/SMS will work, but no data (internet, BlackBerry data such as BBM, push email,) will work. You will need to be connected to WiFi to connect to internet.

If coming to Israel for just a few days, it's probably not worth going through the hassle of signing up with a carrier, and just renting a SIM through one of the following companies: Talk n Save, Israel Phones, TravelCell, or World SIM Travel.

If you're going to be traveling to Israel frequently, then it becomes worth signing up with a carrier. HOT Mobile offers a plan that has no monthly charge, and costs 13 agurot/minute to call Israeli phone numbers, 13 agurot/domestic SMS, cheap direct dialing rates abroad, (15 agurot/minute to USA,) and 13 agurot/MB internet. The cost of the SIM is a one-time fee of NIS 39. Sign up is possible with a foreign credit card and with a passport number in lieu of an Israeli identity number (Teudat Zehut). (Note that this plan isn't listed on the English site.)

If you plan on being in Israel for a month or two, Golan is another option. They have a special now for new subscribers which is their regular plan, free of charge for the first 2 months. The plan includes unlimited domestic calling and unlimited domestic SMS, unlimited 3G data (speeds throttled after 3GB), and international calling. After 2 months, the cost goes up to NIS 99. Sign-up is possible with a foreign credit card and a passport number.

A unique benefit of Golan is the ability to have a virtual phone number, free of charge.

If you'll be in Israel long-term, both HOT Mobile and Golan offer the same unlimited plans at NIS 99, with specials now, such as NIS 49 or NIS 59 for the first few months.

Note regarding prices: All prices include the 18% VAT (Israeli Value Added Tax, or sales tax in Israel)
Prices are listed in (ILS) shekel (NIS = New Israeli Shekel). 100 agurot equal 1 shekel. Google "convert XXX to ILS" to check current exchange rates between shekel and local currency.

How to dial internationally from Israel?
HOT Mobile - dial 00-country code-local phone number OR dial "+" followed by country code and then local number
Golan Telecom - same as HOT Mobile
Orange - 012-country code (via 012 Smile)
Cellcom - 013-country code (via Netvision)
Pelephone - 014-country code (via Bezeq)
Rami Levi - 015-country code (via 015Hallo)

LTE!
Advanced LTE has made it to Israel, though not every carrier currently has it available.
Orange (Partner Communications) and subsidiary 012Smile offer Advanced LTE. To benefit, you must have a phone that supports either LTE band 3 or band 7.
All other networks in Israel use band 7 only!
They are: Pelephone and Cellcom
Print Wikipost

Prepaid SIM - Israel (and non-prepaid)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
If you pass any mall, you should be able to find one. If you know where you'll be, I can try looking at the Hebrew websites to see the closest stores
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by joshwex90
If you pass any mall, you should be able to find one. If you know where you'll be, I can try looking at the Hebrew websites to see the closest stores
Thanks. I'm actually good to go, now. I checked the Golan website (thank goodness for Google Translate!) and discovered they had just opened a Bug store in the Big Fashion mall in Tiberias. Good, because there wasn't anything south of here on their site!

I was surprised at how quick and easy it was--way simpler than I've experienced in half a dozen other countries. The guy had me on my way in about 7 minutes. (I did have to go back in because the APN settings he input the first time didn't stick, so I wasn't getting data.)

59 shekels for supposedly unlimited everything, including international landline calls (well, to many western countries, I assume) and unlimited data. Seems too good to be true, but hey, it's working, and at this point, even a little is all I need for Waze and not getting lost in Jerusalem.

Thanks again for your help! If only every country made it this easy. Hope they get LTE going soon for you guys, although the 5mbps I just got on a speedtest over 3G is plenty sufficient for my needs.
Old Jan 28, 2014, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

With that plan, you have unlimited 3G data, though speed is throttled after 3 GB.
You have unlimited calling to Israeli phone numbers. Unlimited SMS to Israeli phone numbers.
Unlimited calling to landline number in a number of countries around the world including European countries.
Unlimited calling to landline/cellphone in USA/Canada.

You also have, as do all Israeli plans (unlike American plans) unlimited incoming calls and incoming SMS.

Finally, you have the option from Golan's website (available in English) of getting a virtual American phone number, free. So friends/family in the States can call you as a local call for them. Regular call, not internet, so quality is the same.

And when you're done, you can cancel as there's no commitment. (Another Israeli law that's different than in the States)

Really glad everything worked out and enjoy!

BTW, if you're still around next week in Israel, a bunch of FTers are getting together for an informal micro-mini-DO in Petach Tikva: EL AL Forum Hot Dog DO: Feb 5, 2014 @ Jems Petach Tikva
Old Jan 28, 2014, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent. If the virtual American phone number is free, I might as well get it. I was just going to use Google Voice, but why not? Although I don't plan to do much talking on the phone here.

Thanks for clarifying what I get with the plan.

Do you know what, if anything, happens if I cross into Jordan and connect (if even possible) to a Jordanian cell tower? I'll be heading to Petra tomorrow, so if I am in danger of getting slammed with high roaming charges, I'll be sure to turn cell data roaming off (the rep in the store turned it on for whatever reason).

How on earth can they provide such a plan at such a great rate and not be going bankrupt? I think AT&T et al. need to learn a thing or two from these folks!

I'd totally love to make the do, but unfortunately, I'll be flying back to the States on the 2nd and then turning right back around and heading to BOM the next day. Don't worry, though; I'll definitely be back!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jackal
Excellent. If the virtual American phone number is free, I might as well get it. I was just going to use Google Voice, but why not? Although I don't plan to do much talking on the phone here.
Yup, completely free. No reason to pay any money anymore

Thanks for clarifying what I get with the plan.
No problem

Do you know what, if anything, happens if I cross into Jordan and connect (if even possible) to a Jordanian cell tower? I'll be heading to Petra tomorrow, so if I am in danger of getting slammed with high roaming charges, I'll be sure to turn cell data roaming off
Here's roaming information for Jordan: Golan Telecom - International Roaming. If it shows up in Hebrew, click the "English" at the top, choose "General Information," and then "International Roaming." In Jordan, it costs NIS 4.99/minute for incoming calls, NIS 4.99/minute for using callback to Israel, NIS 7.50/minute for outgoing calls as well as callback (not Israel), NIS 2.99/SMS sent (SMS received is free), and NIS 17.99/MB internet. You can use it as an emergency, but something you don't want to use too much of.

However, like the US/Canadian border, if you're near the Israeli border, you'll likely pick up the Israeli signal. Make sure to check because if so, you're good to go. When your phone picks up the Jordanian signal, it'll let you know. To be safe though, if it doesn't warn you but your phone says "roaming," turn it off to be safe.

the rep in the store turned it on for whatever reason.
Roaming was turned on for the following reason: Golan is a new network, and while they are building their own network, they still have a tower-share agreement with Cellcom for areas where they don't yet have a footprint. So the roaming ensures you remain with service everywhere. Your phone at times may show you domestically roaming. No need to worry - this is included in the regular plan

How on earth can they provide such a plan at such a great rate and not be going bankrupt? I think AT&T et al. need to learn a thing or two from these folks!
Both can learn from one another. This relates to reforms that were made in the cellphone market recently, introducing new companies and MVNOs for basically the first time. This helped finally lower the cost. The 59 shekel is a marketing gimmick, and the general price is 99 shekel/month. While that'll likely go up a bit, it's roughly where it will stay. In the USA, there's still an oligopoly of 3 companies, though T-Mobile is really changing that. In Israel, there's much less brand loyalty, which means that new companies are full competitors.

I'd totally love to make the do, but unfortunately, I'll be flying back to the States on the 2nd and then turning right back around and heading to BOM the next day. Don't worry, though; I'll definitely be back!
Hope you enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Greetings from Aqaba, where if I position my phone just right in my hotel room window, I get a ~1.5mbps connection I can tether to versus the 0.2mbps connection the hotel has.

Thanks for the warning. My phone has so far not connected to any Jordanian providers (it goes to "No Service" when I move it away from the window or walk through the streets of Aqaba), but I turned off roaming just to be safe. I was hopeful that the same principle behind the amazingly great price (and even 99 NIS is a steal for the service they're providing compared to the U.S. carriers) applied to their overseas roaming agreements, but I suppose they're just passing along the ridiculous charges that the foreign carriers charge them.

I was surprised at how good and extensive coverage was through pretty much the entirety of the Negev, even isolated sections between towns.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Yup, roaming will be high until foreign carriers charge less. Though even in the Israeli market, different carriers have different roaming charges. And when using a foreign SIM in Israel, roaming is still shockingly high.

As for service in the Negev, there's 2 reasons why it's so good:
  1. In Israel, for some reason, the government won't give you a license to act as a service provider (internet, cellphone, electricity, etc.) unless you cover the entire country. The idea is so companies don't favor the lucrative markets in the center and ignore the periphery.
  2. The Negev has historically been filled with IDF bases, and even more so today. So specifically the Negev requires strong connectivity throughout. And there are less mountains to impede the signal
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Hoping to get some info. on best way to get some sort of pay as you go plan for an upcoming trip to Israel (hope this is the appropriate forum). I'm living in and coming from India. Was looking around for rates and info. on the major Israeli providers, but can't seem to find an English version of any of their sites.

I'll be there for ~2 weeks. I have an (unlocked) iPhone 5, so will need a nano SIM. Looking for ~500MB - 1GB of data, and will make at least a few calls (within Israel and potentially to India/US). Also prefer not to use Orange if possible.

Any assistance on where to get a SIM and how much I can expect to pay would be appreciated.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Will you be making any calls and/or sending any SMS?
Old Mar 26, 2014, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, will probably make a few calls and send a few SMS, some local, some int'l. iMessage should hopefully lesson the burden for any SMS, though.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 4:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It might be worth getting a Golan SIM card. Website is in English, can order a new number on a foreign credit card and with a passport number, and have it delivered to your hotel in advance. Activate online and you're good. When you leave, cancel service. NIS 59/month, and includes 3GB data and unlimited domestic calling/SMS. International calls to Indian landlines are NIS 0.09/minute; cellphones are NIS 0.39/minute, and SMS are NIS 0.39/minutes.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joshwex90
It might be worth getting a Golan SIM card. Website is in English, can order a new number on a foreign credit card and with a passport number, and have it delivered to your hotel in advance. Activate online and you're good. When you leave, cancel service. NIS 59/month, and includes 3GB data and unlimited domestic calling/SMS. International calls to Indian landlines are NIS 0.09/minute; cellphones are NIS 0.39/minute, and SMS are NIS 0.39/minutes.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that.

Edit: Can't get onto the website right now,it seems to be down, but from the info. I have been able to find, looks like Golan Telecom doesn't support iPhone. Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by emcampbe; Mar 26, 2014 at 7:03 am
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely look into that.

Edit: Can't get onto the website right now,it seems to be down, but from the info. I have been able to find, looks like Golan Telecom doesn't support iPhone. Can anyone confirm?
Thanks. I'm actually good to go, now. I checked the Golan website (thank goodness for Google Translate!) and discovered they had just opened a Bug store in the Big Fashion mall in Tiberias. Good, because there wasn't anything south of here on their site!

I was surprised at how quick and easy it was--way simpler than I've experienced in half a dozen other countries. The guy had me on my way in about 7 minutes. (I did have to go back in because the APN settings he input the first time didn't stick, so I wasn't getting data.)

59 shekels for supposedly unlimited everything, including international landline calls (well, to many western countries, I assume) and unlimited data. Seems too good to be true, but hey, it's working, and at this point, even a little is all I need for Waze and not getting lost in Jerusalem.

Thanks again for your help! If only every country made it this easy. Hope they get LTE going soon for you guys, although the 5mbps I just got on a speedtest over 3G is plenty sufficient for my needs.
It wasn't clear from that exact post, but if you read my saga on the previous page, you'll see that my adventures with Golan were with an iPhone 5. Worked fine, although because Golan isn't specifically an Apple partner, I (or rather, the tech who sold me the card) did have to set the APN manually. If you really need, I can go find my Golan SIM and put it in and get the APN for you if no one else here is able to provide it.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 1:54 pm

My son has been on Golan in Israel with an iPhone 5 since July without a problem. He said he just plugged in the sim card and it worked following the directions included

It wasn't clear from that exact post, but if you read my saga on the previous page, you'll see that my adventures with Golan were with an iPhone 5. Worked fine, although because Golan isn't specifically an Apple partner, I (or rather, the tech who sold me the card) did have to set the APN manually. If you really need, I can go find my Golan SIM and put it in and get the APN for you if no one else here is able to provide it.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note my Internet didn't work until I updated the APN settings. (Phone and texting did; data did not.)

If you do need to set the APN settings manually, these sites may help:

http://www.unlockit.co.nz/mobilesett...ngs.php?id=679
https://www.prepaidisraelisim.com/APN_Settings
http://wiki.apnchanger.org/Israel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.